Forme autorisée du nom
Courtenay House (Saint John, N.B.)
Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom
Forme(s) du nom normalisée(s) selon d'autres conventions
Autre(s) forme(s) du nom
Numéro d'immatriculation des collectivités
Zone de description
Opened 1891 or 92; closed 1976
The Courtenay House (Old Ladies Home of Saint John) was a home for aged women in reduced circumstances, which was located at 149 Broad St., Saint John, New Brunswick. It opened in 1891 or 1892. The home and the association that ran it were managed by a board of directors that consisted of between 9 and 24 persons, two thirds of whom were women and one third men. The matron, under the direction of the Visiting Committee, had charge of the house and was to strictly obey and enforce the rules and regulations of the directors. They only admitted women over the age of sixty, except in an extraordinary situation. The annual membership rate was $750.
In 1976 residents of the home were transferred to the Church of St. John and St. Stephen Home Inc. on University Avenue, Millidgeville.