General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1797, 1811-1922 (Creation)
- Christ Church (Norton, N.B. : Anglican)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Christ Church at Norton, New Brunswick, was founded in 1789 and is the second oldest church in Kings County. The first settler of the parish of Norton and one of the great benefactors of the church was Captain Simon Baxter (d. 1804), a Loyalist who received a large grant of land, part of which he gave as a site for the parish church. Norton was one of a number of churches in the area built by the Society of the Propagation of the Gospel and served by its travelling missionaries
The Rev. James Scovil was the first of these missionaries to minister to Loyalists in the Norton area. He had come to Kingston in 1786. The Rev. Oliver Arnold who became the first missionary at Sussex in 1792, also gave a third of his time to parishes in the area, including Hampton and Norton.
In 1795, Simon Baxter gave 200 acres of land to build a church at Norton. Thirty acres were cleared and became the site for a parsonage. Baxter further engaged to build a church, although it was not completed until after his death. With the help of a grant of £100, the church was finally completed in 1811. The Rev. James Cookson of Portsmouth, England, arrived in June 1811 to take charge of Norton and Hampton parishes until 1829 when he returned home to Portsmouth. The Rev. W.W. Walker succeeded him, as Rector of Hampton and Norton. In 1842 the parishes were rearranged. William Scovil, grandson of James was appointed to serve Norton and Springfield while the Rev. Walker remained Rector of Hampton.
In 1845, another church, the Church of the Ascension was built at Lower Norton, later known as Aqohaqui. The Rev. Scovil remained in charge there until 1851 when the Rev. E.A. Warneford arrived. He remained in charge of the parish for 44 years.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material