Fonds MC627 - Chipman Hill Memorial Hospital Alumnae fonds

Titre propre

Chipman Hill Memorial Hospital Alumnae fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre:

Niveau de description




Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)


  • 1923-1999 (Production)
    Chipman Hill Memorial Hospital

Description matérielle

20 cm of textual records

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Nom du producteur


Histoire administrative

The second wife of Sir Leonard Tilley was Alice Starr Chipman, daughter of Zachariah Chipman, a prominent shipowner and merchant of St Stephen, NB. When her father died, she wrote to her brother and two sisters, who were co-heirs in his property, and out-lined her plan to use the old homestead as a hospital, and they agreed.
At the time, there were not sufficient facilities in Charlotte County to care for the sick. Those who were ill had to go away for hospital treatment in Saint John. Lady Tilley believed that adequate medical care ought to be obtained closer at hand, and what more fitting memorial to her parents’ memory than a hospital in the home where they had lived long, useful lives. So ‘Cedars’ became known as the Chipman Memorial Hospital. However, there was much to be done before the hospital could be properly outfitted and rendered self-supporting. In 1902, after Lady Tilley solicited support from other members of the community, the hospital was equipped with twenty beds and was ready to take in patients. Annual grants from the county and the endowment of beds from various sources helped with the upkeep and maintenance. As the number of patients increased new wings were added to the building. The first one was erected in memory of one of Lady Tilly’s sisters by the latter's husband, Mr Owen Jones. Another wing was built but soon cots where placed in corridors. Eventually Charlotte County Hospital was built to replace the Chipman Memorial Hospital.

Historique de la conservation

Donated to the archives by Douglas Dougherty 13 November 2003

Portée et contenu

This fonds contains 12 Minute books for the years from 1923 - 1999 It also contains the Constitution for the Charlotte County hospital Student Nurses Association, and part documentation for Miss B Ponder from Boiestown who attended the training school and graduated 27 Nov 1906.

État de conservation

Good to fair

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Donated by Douglas Dougherty


Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Charlotte County Archives

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

Éléments associés


Note générale

Description matérielle

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions


Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description


Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés