Fonds MC627 - Chipman Hill Memorial Hospital Alumnae fonds

Title proper

Chipman Hill Memorial Hospital Alumnae fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title is named after creator of fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CCA MC627

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1923-1999 (Creation)
    Creator
    Chipman Hill Memorial Hospital

Physical description

20 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1902-1950)

Administrative history

The second wife of Sir Leonard Tilley was Alice Starr Chipman, daughter of Zachariah Chipman, a prominent shipowner and merchant of St Stephen, NB. When her father died, she wrote to her brother and two sisters, who were co-heirs in his property, and out-lined her plan to use the old homestead as a hospital, and they agreed.
At the time, there were not sufficient facilities in Charlotte County to care for the sick. Those who were ill had to go away for hospital treatment in Saint John. Lady Tilley believed that adequate medical care ought to be obtained closer at hand, and what more fitting memorial to her parents’ memory than a hospital in the home where they had lived long, useful lives. So ‘Cedars’ became known as the Chipman Memorial Hospital. However, there was much to be done before the hospital could be properly outfitted and rendered self-supporting. In 1902, after Lady Tilley solicited support from other members of the community, the hospital was equipped with twenty beds and was ready to take in patients. Annual grants from the county and the endowment of beds from various sources helped with the upkeep and maintenance. As the number of patients increased new wings were added to the building. The first one was erected in memory of one of Lady Tilly’s sisters by the latter's husband, Mr Owen Jones. Another wing was built but soon cots where placed in corridors. Eventually Charlotte County Hospital was built to replace the Chipman Memorial Hospital.

Custodial history

Donated to the archives by Douglas Dougherty 13 November 2003

Scope and content

This fonds contains 12 Minute books for the years from 1923 - 1999 It also contains the Constitution for the Charlotte County hospital Student Nurses Association, and part documentation for Miss B Ponder from Boiestown who attended the training school and graduated 27 Nov 1906.

Physical condition

Good to fair

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Douglas Dougherty

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Charlotte County Archives

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Accession No. 2004.028

Physical description

Part of the documentation for Miss Ponder is of such poor condition and not complete, that it is uncertain if she was a graduate of the Chipman Memorial Hospital

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres