Chestnut Canoe Company
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
CA UNB MG H 109
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Chestnut Canoe Company
4 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
In 1904, the J.C. Risteen Company, a sash and door business owned by a group of local businessmen, began the building of canvas-covered canoes in Fredericton, NB. One year later, the canoe-making section moved to separate quarters where canoes were manufactured under the name of R. Chestnut and Sons. At this time, R. Chestnut and Sons was an established hardware store operated by Henry Chestnut and his sons Harry and Bill Chestnut, descendants of the original Robert Chestnut. In 1907, the Chestnut Canoe Co. was incorporated and a new brick factory was constructed on York St. In 1909, Henry Chestnut died, leaving control of the company in the hands of his son, Harry G. Chestnut. Maggie Jean Chestnut, the daughter of Harry G. Chestnut, was the last family member to run the business. After her father's death in 1941, she became much more involved in the company, becoming managing director (and later president) in 1943. She ran the business until her death in 1949.
In 1923, the Peterborough Canoe Company and the Chestnut Canoe Company entered into an agreement which brought both companies under the ownership of a single set of shareholders in a holding company called Canadian Watercraft Ltd. In 1928, Canadian Canoe Company also came under this umbrella.
The Peterborough Canoe Company and the Canadian Canoe Company closed down in 1961 but the Chestnut Canoe Company continued to operate with financial guarantees from the Province of New Brunswick. In 1974, the Chestnut Canoe Company moved to Oromocto where it remained until it ceased operations in 1978.
Chestnut Canoe Company
Scope and content
This fonds consists of a single ledger from the R. Chestnut Canoe Company for the time period 1904 - 1908. It records in considerable detail the business transactions of the fledgling company. It reflects not only the volume of their business and the variety of products they produced but also the far-flung market they served, stretching from Newfoundland to British Columbia and extending into the United States.
Immediate source of acquisition
The ledger was donated to the UNB Archives on 15 December 1972 by the Chestnut Canoe Company.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
The ledger is available on microfilm at the Harriet Irving Library: HIL-MIC VM353 .C542.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick holds the R. Chestnut and Sons Collection (MC15) and the Chestnut Canoe Company fonds (MC656).
Written on the inside cover of the ledger is: "R. Chestnut and Sons - Canoe Business - 1904".
The ledger was transferred to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick September 2011.
Reported in the Union List of Manuscripts, 1977-1978 supplement, p. 41, entry number 14-149