Charlottetown: Spring Park Pastoral Charge
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Charlottetown: Spring Park Pastoral Charge
- Prince Edward Island
2.1 m of textual records
5 photographs : colour
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.
Spring Park United Church is located in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. The village of Spring Park became part of the city of Charlottetown in 1958. In the summer of 1959, a survey was conducted by Trinity United Church to determine the area in the Charlottetown district which would most benefit from the erection of a separate church building. It was found that there was a high number of United Church members in Spring Park who were interested in a church being built in that area.
On December 6, 1959, a project to organize a Christian Education Centre in Spring Park was officially launched. On this same day, Spring Park Sunday School was started and the next week saw the organization of youth groups such as the CGIT. A bungalow at 137 Upper Queen Street was used for services. In 1960, a committee was formed to find larger facilities for the growing church. It was decided to erect a temporary building. The inaugural service of Spring Park as a preaching point of Trinity United was held on November 29, 1960.
Spring Park became a separate pastoral charge from Trinity United Church on June 30, 1964. A new church building was dedicated on June 7, 1965.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of baptism/marriage records, membership directories and lists, minutes, financial records, correspondence, reports, orders of service, published and unpublished histories, photographs, audio recordings, and newspaper clippings from Spring Park United Church. Fonds is composed of the following series:
Records of Congregation
Records of Official Board
Records of Session
Records of Board of Trustees
Records of Treasurer
Records of Board of Stewards
Records of Committees
Records of Women’s Organizations
Records of Youth Groups
Orders of Service
Immediate source of acquisition
Annual reports are received periodically from the United Church of Canada offices in Toronto. United Church Women records were received in August 1988 and April 1990 from the church. Other records were received in 2006 (accession 06-039), 2008 (accession 08-033), and 2012 (12-034).
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Further accruals are expected.
Graphics: There are 5 color photographs of a confirmation at Spring Park United.