Fonds S 100 - Centenary Queen Square United Church (Saint John)

Titre propre

Centenary Queen Square United Church (Saint John)

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title based on contents.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA MNBM S 100

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Date(s)

  • 1835-1975 (Production)
    Producteur
    Centenary Queen Square United Church (Saint John, N.B.)

Description matérielle

1.4 m of textual records

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Nom du producteur

([ca. 1808])

Histoire administrative

The first Methodist serice in Saint John, New Brunswick was held in 1791 in the house of John and Cynthia Kelly. In 1808, Methodist Society occupied premises on the east side of Germain Street between Duke and Queen Street. In 1808, Germain Street Chapel was dedicated. From this chapel, four main churches were established: the Exmouth Street Church, closed in 1977; Queen Square Church and Centenary Church amalgamated in 1939; and the Carmarthen Street Church, which joined with them in 1957. All four churches became United Church after 1925.

The present Queen Square Centenary building was erected in 1882 on Princess Street in the central part of Saint John, New Brunswick. It provides seating for 1400 people and had a new organ installed in 1985 (Letourneau organ).

In 1997, the congregation decided it was unable to finance the upkeep of a large building with such a small congregation. They sold the building in 1998 and relocated to 215 Wentworth Street, the current location of their worship services.

Historique de la conservation

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Portée et contenu

This fonds administrative records of the church, most of which come from the period after 1936. The earlier records include correspondence of the Board of Trustees, 1838-1893, 1957-1958, and some receipts and invoices,1838-1920. There are also minutes of the Board of Stewards, 1936-1949, 1964; membership lists, reports and other material of the Board of Sessions, 1940-1961; balance sheets and budgets, 1945-1964; and minutes of the A.O.T.S Men's Club, 1954-1968.

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Acquired from Centenary Queen Square United Church, 1974, 1976

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

No restrictions

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Detailed inventory available

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées