General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Centenary Queen Square United Church (Saint John, N.B.)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The first Methodist serice in Saint John, New Brunswick was held in 1791 in the house of John and Cynthia Kelly. In 1808, Methodist Society occupied premises on the east side of Germain Street between Duke and Queen Street. In 1808, Germain Street Chapel was dedicated. From this chapel, four main churches were established: the Exmouth Street Church, closed in 1977; Queen Square Church and Centenary Church amalgamated in 1939; and the Carmarthen Street Church, which joined with them in 1957. All four churches became United Church after 1925.
The present Queen Square Centenary building was erected in 1882 on Princess Street in the central part of Saint John, New Brunswick. It provides seating for 1400 people and had a new organ installed in 1985 (Letourneau organ).
In 1997, the congregation decided it was unable to finance the upkeep of a large building with such a small congregation. They sold the building in 1998 and relocated to 215 Wentworth Street, the current location of their worship services.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material