Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Centenary Queen Square United Church (Saint John, N.B.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The first Methodist serice in Saint John, New Brunswick was held in 1791 in the house of John and Cynthia Kelly. In 1808, Methodist Society occupied premises on the east side of Germain Street between Duke and Queen Street. In 1808, Germain Street Chapel was dedicated. From this chapel, four main churches were established: the Exmouth Street Church, closed in 1977; Queen Square Church and Centenary Church amalgamated in 1939; and the Carmarthen Street Church, which joined with them in 1957. All four churches became United Church after 1925.
The present Queen Square Centenary building was erected in 1882 on Princess Street in the central part of Saint John, New Brunswick. It provides seating for 1400 people and had a new organ installed in 1985 (Letourneau organ).
In 1997, the congregation decided it was unable to finance the upkeep of a large building with such a small congregation. They sold the building in 1998 and relocated to 215 Wentworth Street, the current location of their worship services.