Dénomination générale des documents
- Document textuel
Compléments du titre
Mentions de responsabilité du titre
Notes du titre
- Source du titre propre: Title based on contents.
- Variantes du titre: Previously known as Carleton County Military Records.
Niveau de description
Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition
Mention d'échelle (cartographique)
Mention de projection (cartographique)
Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)
Mention d'échelle (architecturale)
Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)
[192-?] - 1942 (Production)
- Carleton-York Regiment
Titre propre de la collection
Titres parallèles de la collection
Compléments du titre de la collection
Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection
Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection
Note sur la collection
Nom du producteur
The Carleton Light Infantry was organized on 10 September 1869 from the Carleton County Militia, which had begun before the war of 1812 when two of its officers were attached to the 104th Regiment. The headquarters of the Carleton Light Infantry was in Woodstock, New Brunswick, with its companies positioned in the counties of Carleton, Victoria, and Madawaska. The first camp attended by the unit was held at Camp Rose near Fredericton in 1871. Training camps were held bi-annually at different locations until Sussex Camp was created in 1880 and training became an annual affair.
In 1885, the Carleton Light Infantry supplied a company to the New Brunswick battalion formed for service in the North West Rebellion. In 1899, during the Boer War, a number of Carleton N.C.O.s enlisted and served with the Canadian contingents in South Africa. In 1914, when the Great War began, the Canadian Expeditionary Force was formed from elements of all militia units and by general recruiting.
At the end of the First World War, the militia lay dormant for twelve to fifteen months until the Carleton Light Infantry was reorganized into one active and one reserve battalion. The 1st Battalion of the Carleton Light Infantry under the command of Colonel L. L. Kennedy was made up of four companies: "A" Company in Woodstock, "B" Company in Edmundston, "C" Company in Hartland, and "D" Company in Andover.
By 1937, the Carleton Light Infantry had amalgamated with the York County militia unit to become the Carleton and York Regiment (CYR) under the command of Lt. Col. W.B. Manzer. The CYR was active during the Second World War, participating in the Allied invasion of Italy and the liberation of Holland. Following the war, the Canadian armed forces underwent significant restructuring. As a result, the Carleton and York Regiment was amalgamated with the New Brunswick Scottish to form the 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton and York), in October of 1954. In 1956, the term "Royal" was added to the name, before "New Brunswick"--a name the regiment retains in 2013. Though the CYR’s regimental colours were laid to rest at the Provincial Legislature in February of 1955, the 1st Battalion retained the battle honours of the CYR.
Source of history of the Carleton and York Regiment: Robert Tooley, "Invicta: The Carleton and York Regiment in the Second World War," (Fredericton: New Ireland Press, 1989).
Historique de la conservation
Portée et contenu
État de conservation
Source immédiate d'acquisition
Langue des documents