General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
- Variations in title: Previously known as Carleton County Military Records.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
[192-?] - 1942 (Creation)
- Carleton-York Regiment
80 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Carleton Light Infantry was organized on 10 September 1869 from the Carleton County Militia, which had begun before the war of 1812 when two of its officers were attached to the 104th Regiment. The headquarters of the Carleton Light Infantry was in Woodstock, New Brunswick, with its companies positioned in the counties of Carleton, Victoria, and Madawaska. The first camp attended by the unit was held at Camp Rose near Fredericton in 1871. Training camps were held bi-annually at different locations until Sussex Camp was created in 1880 and training became an annual affair.
In 1885, the Carleton Light Infantry supplied a company to the New Brunswick battalion formed for service in the North West Rebellion. In 1899, during the Boer War, a number of Carleton N.C.O.s enlisted and served with the Canadian contingents in South Africa. In 1914, when the Great War began, the Canadian Expeditionary Force was formed from elements of all militia units and by general recruiting.
At the end of the First World War, the militia lay dormant for twelve to fifteen months until the Carleton Light Infantry was reorganized into one active and one reserve battalion. The 1st Battalion of the Carleton Light Infantry under the command of Colonel L. L. Kennedy was made up of four companies: "A" Company in Woodstock, "B" Company in Edmundston, "C" Company in Hartland, and "D" Company in Andover.
By 1937, the Carleton Light Infantry had amalgamated with the York County militia unit to become the Carleton and York Regiment (CYR) under the command of Lt. Col. W.B. Manzer. The CYR was active during the Second World War, participating in the Allied invasion of Italy and the liberation of Holland. Following the war, the Canadian armed forces underwent significant restructuring. As a result, the Carleton and York Regiment was amalgamated with the New Brunswick Scottish to form the 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton and York), in October of 1954. In 1956, the term "Royal" was added to the name, before "New Brunswick"--a name the regiment retains in 2013. Though the CYR’s regimental colours were laid to rest at the Provincial Legislature in February of 1955, the 1st Battalion retained the battle honours of the CYR.
Source of history of the Carleton and York Regiment: Robert Tooley, "Invicta: The Carleton and York Regiment in the Second World War," (Fredericton: New Ireland Press, 1989).
Most of the materials in this fonds were found in the garbage of the Armouries in Woodstock by Gage Montgomery, Commanding Officer of the Carleton County Militia, in the 1930s. The history of the Carleton Light Infantry was found by Michael Wills in Woodstock in 1974.
Scope and content
The fonds mainly consists of the Carleton Light Infantry's records after its reorganization in 1920. Fonds includes a history of the Carleton Light Infantry, records of the 1934 annual meeting of the Carleton Light Infantry, financial information, company correspondence, and nominal rolls. There are personnel files listing name, rank, company, address, registration date, and remarks concerning any leaves of absence, applications for higher rank, meetings attended, etc.; there are also medical officers' certificates, and property information. The information about the Carleton-York Regiment is limited to records of a 1937 meeting of the Regiment, a financial statement, and shared personnel files.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available for this fonds