General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title is based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Women's Institute. Canterbury Women's Institute (York County)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Women's Institute was founded in 1897 by Adelaide Hoodless of Stoney Creek, Ontario, following the death of her son as a result of drinking impure milk. Mrs. James E. Porter of Andover, New Brunswick, was instrumental in introducing the organization to New Brunswick women. Between 1911 and 1960, hundreds of branches of the Women's Institute were established across the province.
The Canterbury Women's Institute was organized on May 6, 1936. The first officers were: Mrs. John MacPherson (president), Mrs. W.H. Scott (treasurer) and Mrs. Harley Smith (secretary).
In its early years, this Institute aided the war effort by sending gum, cigarettes, candy and socks to the "boys" overseas and donated money towards the purchase of a 'mobile kitchen.' They also sent food for British Prisoners of War in Germany. Later, they donated to the Army Appeal, Saint John Ambulance, the Children's Welfare Fund, the Canadian Cancer Fund. Locally, they donated a Bible, dictionary, and a first aid kit to the Carroll Ridge School. Money was raised by holding suppers, rummage sales, travelling baskets and having a "penny" collection.
The Canterbury Women's Institute disbanded on May 16, 1988.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material