Canadian Pacific Railway Company
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
[189?] - 1964 (Creation)
- Canadian Pacific Railway Company
1 m of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Canadian Pacific Railway Company was founded in 1881 after it received a charter, twenty-five million dollars, and twenty-five million acres of land. Its primary objective was to link Eastern Canada with the West, enabling goods to be shipped to markets throughout Canada and settlers to travel to Western Canada. This new company was headed by George Stephen, president of the Bank of Montréal, and Donald Smith, a financial tycoon of the Hudson's Bay Company. The CPR's general manager, William Cornelius Van Horne, began construction of the railway in 1882. The line was completed in 1885, at Craigellachie, BC.
The CPR established control over the Woodstock, Carleton County, railway station in 1890, after it leased the New Brunswick Railway Company for 990 years. The Woodstock line was one of the first constructed in the province, having connections to St. Andrews, Québec, and Maine. The line had been developed primarily for settlement and resource development purposes in the mid-1850s, but later became important in the transportation of goods to northern Maine, New England, and Central Canada.
When the Woodstock station on Queen Street was unable to handle the increased volume of traffic, the CPR Company built a new station, in 1910, in Lower Woodstock . This station closed when the Upper Woodstock railway bridge was destroyed by a spring flood.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of staff registers listing engineers and firemen employed by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company; letter books containing CPR staff appointments; a payroll book including the salaries received by Carleton County residents; timetables; staff bulletins containing news about company operations; and publications of "The Spanner," a magazine published by the CPR, issues dating from 1848-1864 .
Immediate source of acquisition
The materials in this fonds were donated to the Carleton County Historical Society by Norman Rockwell in April 1977.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
A finding aid is available for this fonds.
Other records relating to rail services in Carleton County, New Brunswick, before 1890 can be found in the New Brunswick Railway Company fonds (MCC9).