Canadian Forestry Association of New Brunswick Inc.
General material designation
- Textual record
- Cartographic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the official name of the assocation.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Canadian Forestry Association of New Brunswick
7.2 m of textual records and 1 map
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Canadian Forestry Association was formed in 1900 in response to concerns of government and private citizens over management and protection of Canadian forests. Forest fires were identified as a major hazard, and education as the solution to reduce this threat. Consequently lectures and meetings were organized across the country and a travelling display was produced, all to educate the public on ways to conserve and protect forest resources.
Provincial branches of the Canadian Forestry Association were organized in the 1930s to deal with regional problems, with the New Brunswick branch being formed in 1939. In 1955 the provincial branches became independent organizations, and in 1959 they re-grouped to become a federation of nine autonomous provincial associations. The New Brunswick branch of the CFA was incorporated in 1964 as the Canadian Forestry Association of New Brunswick Inc. for the primary purpose of developing public understanding and cooperation in the wise use of Canada's renewable natural resources -- forests, water, soil, and wildlife. A non-profit association, it was supported financially by membership dues, donations, provincial government grants, and contributions from the national body.
In the 1940s the New Brunswick branch worked for the establishment of a Forest Rangers School and an adequate forest service. The association also sponsored the "Smokey the Bear" fire prevention programme, National Forest Week, the Christmas tree competition, and poster contests for children. In 2001 the Canadian Forestry Association of New Brunswick continues to function as The Tree House, with its headquarters located at 124 St. John Street in Fredericton.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds documents the activities of the New Brunswick branch of the Canadian Forestry Association, from its organization in 1939, and sheds light on the workings of the national body. It consists of correspondence, minutes of meetings of the provincial and national bodies, reports, briefs, research papers, submissions, financial statements, copies of speeches and radio talks, and a copy of the constitution. The fonds also includes scrapbooks, newsclippings, and printed material, as well as a copy of T. M. Pond's "Summation of activities of the Canadian Forestry Association of New Brunswick, 1939-1976". Also includes a Prospectus of the Maritime Forest Ranger School (1966)
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by the Canadian Forestry Association of New Brunswick Inc. in 1980.
3 additional accessions:
M2003.50 donated by David Folster
M2003.215 donated by Treehouse
M2006.133 donated by Wayne Guptil of Canadian Forestry of New Brunswick Association
2 items added from Government Records on June 30, 2011 (pamphlet and calendar)
1 item added from Government Records on August 23, 2011 (prospectus for Maritime Forest Ranger School)
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.
MC404 Association of Registered Professional Foresters of New Brunswick fonds