- CA MNBM ID1235
This fonds consists of a typed history of the Saint John suspension bridge with a copy of a photograph of the bridge. This history was previously published in the New Brunswick Historical Society Collections (No. 10, p. 104). There is information on early attempts to build a bridge across the harbour connecting the east and west sides of Saint John, including dates and names of the individuals involved in building the suspension bridge. There are technical details of the construction of this bridge as well as general discussion of suspension bridges including one in Wales and the first Brooklyn Bridge in New York. The report of the inspecting engineer, Alexander L. Light of St. Andrews, is included in this history. Names of stockholders of the Saint John Suspension Bride Company are provided as wel as a few details about bridge finances. Also included is an account of a violent storm that badly damaged the bridge in May 1858 and nearly caused a tragedy.
Murdoch, William, Jr.