Collection MC58 - Bishop Charles Inglis and Bishop John Inglis family

Title proper

Bishop Charles Inglis and Bishop John Inglis family

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the collection

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA PANB MC58

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • Microfilmed and photocopied [ca. 1966] (Creation)
    Creator
    Inglis (family)

Physical description

7 reels of microfilm
5 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Branch begins in 1734)

Biographical history

This collection was assembled by W.O. Raymond in 1878 to assist researchers working on the early years of the Anglican Church in New Brunswick.

Charles Inglis (1734-1816) was born in Ireland and immigrated to America as a young man. He entered the ministry in 1759 and rose to become Rector of Trinity Church, New York. Because of his strong Loyalist leanings, he fled to Nova Scotia in 1783. In 1787 he became the first Bishop of Nova Scotia, with oversight of all the Maritime churches. He travelled to New Brunswick in 1788,1790, 1792, 1798 and 1804.

His son, John Inglis (1777-1850), was born in New York and educated in Nova Scotia. In 1824 he became the third Bishop of Nova Scotia. He visited the churches under his care in New Brunswick in 1826 and approximately every three years thereafter until 1845 when the new Diocese of Fredericton was created.

Custodial history

The records in this collection were extracted from a microfilmed copy of the Inglis papers housed at the National Archives of Canada. The film had been given to the National Archives by the Archives of the Church of England at Lambeth Palace in London. Lambeth Palace had copied the originals in 1966, at which time they were in the possession of Admiral Sir John Inglis.

Scope and content

This collection consists of one bound volume of copies and microfilms. It contains the correspondence of Charles Inglis and John Inglis with their superiors in England and their missionaries (Anglican) in the field. There are also extracts from each man's journals. The bound volume includes an introduction probably written by W. O. Raymond.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

The original bound volume is located at PANB in MC223 DB-NS.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

There is an index at the back of the bound volume.

Associated materials

The Provincial Archives of New Brunswick also holds MC230 Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts collection and MC369 W. O. Raymond collection.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres