Fonds PC/108 - Bayfield-Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge

Title proper

Bayfield-Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MCA PC/108

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1854-2004 (Creation)
    Creator
    Bayfield-Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge

Physical description

1.82 m of textual records
3 photographs

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(1860 -)

Administrative history

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

The Baie Verte Methodist Circuit was formed in 1860 and Bayfield was one of the appointments in this circuit. Just over 10 years later, in 1872, a second minister came to live in the Bayfield section which included Port Elgin, Upper Cape, Cape Spear, and Cadman’s Corner. In 1880, Bayfield was made a separate circuit, consisting of Upper Cape, Cape Spear, and Cadman’s Corner. When the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches united to form the United Church of Canada in 1925, Bayfield Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Bayfield, Upper Cape, Spence Settlement, and Cape Spear.

The first Methodist church in Bayfield was built in 1838. This building was replaced in 1888. The church at Upper Cape was built around 1838 as well. Later, a new church was built in Upper Cape and dedicated on August 21, 1892. The church at Cadman’s Corner was dedicated on October 7, 1894. A church at Cape Spear was erected in 1886.

In 1882, Colin and Lucinda Van Bushkirk sold their house to the Methodist Church to be used as a parsonage.

On October 16, 1894, a number of people met at the home of Jonathan Allen in Cape Spear to discuss the building of a Methodist church in the community. It is unknown when the building was erected but by July 3, 1895, the church had a trustee’s board. Cape Spear Methodist Church became Cape Spear United Church in 1925.

In 1925, Bayfield Methodist Circuit became part of The United Church of Canada. Bayfield Methodist Church became Wesley United Church and the Methodist church in Cape Tormentine became Trinity United Church.

The earliest Convenanter congregation in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia was established before 1830. Construction may have started on a church building as early as 1829 and the first communion service was held on July 3, 1831.

A Reformed Presbyterian congregation was organized by the Irish Synod in Shemogue in 1828. In the spring of 1830, construction began on a church building but the building was abandoned due to difficulties in obtaining a title to the property. A new building was started nearby in Murray Corner and the church was dedicated in 1831 by Rev. Alexander Clark.

In the early 1870s, it was decided to divide the district into two congregations. Consequently, a church was built at Chapman’s Corner in 1870 and a new church built at Murray Corner in 1872. In 1876, the minister of the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation in Shemogue along with 62 other people successfully petitioned the Presbytery of Wallace of The Presbyterian Church in Canada to allow them to be organized as the Congregation of Shemogue and Port Elgin of The Presbyterian Church in Canada. Chapman’s Corner remained a Reformed Presbyterian congregation but became a congregation of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1905. After this, a church was erected at Oulton’s Corner and became known as Zion Presbyterian.

The church at Murray Corner was destroyed by fire in the early 1920s and work commenced on a new building in 1922. The new church, which is now known as First Church, was dedicated on August 19, 1923.

In 1923, Rev. Leard, the minister of the Bayfield Methodist Circuit, suggested that he no longer serve Cadman’s Corner Methodist Church so the Little Shemogue Session agreed to take on the Cadman Corner congregation and evening services were held there.

The Bayfield-Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge is located on the eastern end of Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Preaching points include Bayfield (Wesley), Murray Corner (First), and Cape Tormentine (Trinity). Historic locations included, Little Shemogue, Cape Spear, Oulton's Corner, Cadman’s Corner, Chapman's Corner, and Upper Cape.

When the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches united to form the United Church of Canada in 1925, First Church, Zion Church, Port Elgin, and Tidnish became United Churches under two pastoral charges -- Bayfield and Little Shemogue. Bayfield Pastoral Charge contained the appointments of Bayfield, Upper Cape, Spence Settlement, and Cape Spear. The pastoral charge of Shemogue, Port Elgin, and Tidnish contained the preaching points of Oulton’s Corner, Tidnish, Murray, Corner, Chapman’s Corner, Cadman’s Corner, Port Elgin, and Shemogue. On July 1, 1927, Little Shemogue became a separate pastoral charge consisting of Murray Corner, Zion, Oulton’s Corner, Cadman’s Corner, Shemogue, and Chapman’s Corner. The church at Shemogue appears to have closed as a preaching place in 1953.

In June 1961 the two charges were united to form Bayfield-Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge consisting of the preaching points of Murray Corner, First Church, Bayfield, and Cape Tormentine. The churches in Upper Cape, Cape Spear, Cadman’s Corner, Chapman’s Corner, and Oulton’s Corner were closed around this time. The church in Spence Settlement was closed in 1963.

Custodial history

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of baptism/marriage/burial records, membership rolls, minutes, published and unpublished histories, one photograph, correspondence, reports, and financial records Bayfield-Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge and its Methodist and Presbyterian predecessors. Fonds is composed of the following sous-fonds:
Bayfield-Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge records
Bayfield Methodist Circuit records
Bayfield Presbyterian Pastoral Charge records
Wesley United Church (Bayfield) records
Trinity United Church (Cape Tormentine) records
First United Church (Murray Corner) records
Little Shemogue Pastoral Charge records
Upper Cape United Church records
Zion United Church (Oulton’s Corner) records
Chapman’s Corner United Church records
Bayfield Pastoral Charge records

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Upper Cape records were received in 1998 (accession 98-032) from Mrs. Helen Lines, Port Elgin, New Brunswick. The Murray Corner listing of burial sites was received 2001 (accession 01-098) from Ralph Murray, Truro, Nova Scotia. Other records were received in 1972, 2005 (accession 05-042), and 2007 (accession 07-019).

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

See Baie Verte-Port Elgin-Tidnish Bridge fonds for Shemogue Presbyterian Marriage book by the Rev. Joseph Howe Brownell (1893-1920).

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Physical description

Graphics: There are two color photographs of the interior of Cape Spear United Church, set up for a flea market. There is also one sheet of photographs of the exterior and interior of Cape Spear United Church. The three photographs were taken by Robert Grant in 2005.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres