Bathurst Pastoral Charge
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Bathurst Pastoral Charge
1.5 metres of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge. Bathurst Pastoral Charge is comprised of First United Church, Bathurst and South Tetagouche United Church in Gloucester County, New Brunswick.
Rev. Michael Pickles preached his first sermon in Bathurst in August 1930. In 1838, Bathurst and New Bandon Methodist Circuit contained the appointments of Bathurst, Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and “the Capes.” Tetagouche was added around 1841 and its building was constructed in 1861. In 1845, the Bathurst and New Bandon circuit was expanded considerably. The area served not only included Bathurst, Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and Tetagouche, but also Jacquet River, Eel River Dalhousie, Campellton, and Upsalquitch. The circuit, however, after 1853, was confined to the immediate area of Bathurst including Salmon Beach, New Bandon, and Tetagouche.
The Trinity Methodist sanctuary was built in 1832 on Murray Avenue. It was replaced by a new church on the same property in 1875. The old building was dismantled in 1882. A parsonage was built in 1911 and the church was remodeled and enlarged in 1917.
A site for a Methodist church building in South Tetagouche was chosen in 1861. Construction was begun in 1861 and the church finished sometime shortly after. A new church was built in 1883 and the former building was demolished on August 27, 1894. In 1925, the Methodist church in South Tetagouche became South Tetagouche United Church.
In 1925, the Bathurst Methodist Circuit became part of the United Church of Canada. The church in Bathurst became known as Trinity United Church.
St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church began when a group of settlers met in Bathurst in 1829 to apply to the Glasgow Colonial Committee of the Church of Scotland for assistance in obtaining a minister and opening a subscription list to build a church. The building was completed in 1839 and called St. Luke's. In 1840, the Glasgow Colonial Society appointed Rev. George McDonnell to St. Luke’s. A manse was built in 1848 and a new manse was built in 1911.
The church building was destroyed by fire on January 3, 1915. It was replaced by a new building two years later on St. Patrick Street. Messrs Chappell Hunter were the architects.
In 1925, St. Luke's Presbyterian Church, by a large vote, decided in favour of Church Union, thus becoming, along with Trinity Church, part of the United Church of Canada. St. Luke’s United and Trinity United were merged on July 4, 1941 to become First United Church.
Worship services were held in St. Luke’s United while Trinity United became the centre for Sunday School, midweek groups, funerals and other service functions.
Belledune was an appointment of Bathurst Pastoral Charge until 1967. Middle River was a preaching point from 1942 until 1950. Bass River was a preaching point from 1942 to 1964.
In 1944, the Board decided to sell St. Luke’s manse situated on St. Patrick Street. In 1946, the land on which Camp Elm Tree is situated was purchased.
In 1947 the Donald Eddy Memorial Hall was built on a separate site to provide much-needed facilities for education and recreation. It was officially opened on December 1. 1947.
By November 15, 1998, the original church structures were demolished and a new $1.4 million building, attached to the hall, was dedicated as First United Church.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of baptism/marriage/burial records, membership records, minutes, financial records, reports, correspondence, orders of service, and attendance rolls from the churches within Bathurst Pastoral Charge, including its Methodist and Presbyterian predecessors. Fonds is composed of following sous-fonds:
Bathurst Pastoral Charge records
Bathurst and New Bandon Methodist Circuit records
Trinity United Church records
St. Luke’s Presbyterian Church records
St. Luke’s United Church records
First United Church records
Immediate source of acquisition
The majority of records were transferred to the Archives in 2004 (04-100). Annual reports are received periodically from the United Church of Canada, Toronto. The minutes of South Tetagouche United Church Women were received in 1999 (accession 99-061) from the South Tetagouche United Church. Microfilm MF-212 was received from the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, presumably in 1971. Microfilms 491-496 were received from the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick in 2004 (04-102).
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
See New Bandon fonds.
Further accruals are expected.
Microfilm 212 is 16 mm and Microfilms 491-496 are 35 mm.