General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Barlow, Thomas & Co. (firm)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Barlow, Thomas & Co. was a foundry located on Pond Street in Saint John, New Brunswick. From 1835-1849, the owners were George Fleming, John Stewart and Thomas Barlow. Barlow was a carpenter, Stewart an iron moulder, and Fleming a machinist. Stewart left the firm in 1847 and Barlow in 1849. It was taken over by George Fleming and Thomas Humbert, a clerk in the firm and the name changed to Fleming and Humbert. In 1869, George Fleming purchased his partner's interest and in the following year admitted his two sons, William and James into the company and changed the name to George Fleming & Sons. When George Fleming died in 1886, James purchased the interests of the other heirs and continued the business under the name of Phoenix Foundry.
The company was inherited by his sons, G.W., H.J., and W.M. Fleming who ran it until 1932. When the foundry closed in about 1955, the owner's name was Seely.
The establishment mainly built marine and stationary engines and pipes. They also built a number of locomotives for the Intercolonial and Western Extension railways.
Thomas Barlow was the son of Thomas Barlow Sr. and a pattern maker. He was one of the organizers of the Mechanics Institute and a member of the Sons of Temperance. He died in 1864.
George Fleming was born in Dysart, Fifeshire, Scotland, in 1800 and died in 1886. George emigrated to Saint John in 1832. He was one of the organizers of the Mechanics Institute. He and his wife, Barbara Massie, of Glasgow Scotland had eight children, five of whom lived to maturity; William; James; Helen J.; Captain Robert H; Charles.
New Brunswick Biographical Review, 1900;
Saint John and Its Business, 1875;
City of Saint John, Its Facilities and Interests, 1908
Saint John City Directories
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material