Bank of Fredericton
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on the contents of the fonds.
Level of description
CA PANB MC60
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Bank of Fredericton
4 cm of textual records
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
(Established in 1836, merged with another bank in 1839)
The Bank of Fredericton was established in 1836 by a group of Fredericton, New Brunswick, businessmen. Trustees were Asa Coy, Thomas T. Smith, Robert Chestnut, William Dale Harte and Charles Fisher. The bank issued notes of five shillings, 10 shillings, one pound, and five pound denominations, which were exempt from the prohibition on private currency in the New Brunswick Bank Act of 1837. At the time of its incorporation with the Commercial Bank of New Brunswick on 28 February 1839, The Bank of Fredericton had £23,700 in notes in circulation, most of which were called in during the following year and burned.
Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of the minute book of the Bank of Fredericton for the years 1836-1840.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated to the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick by Luke Morrison, of Fredericton, N.B., on 26 February 1973.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
An inventory is available.