General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Baie Verte-Port Elgin-Tidnish Bridge Pastoral Charge
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.
A Methodist Church existed at Baie Verte prior to 1818, but the first regular services of a minister did not occur until 1818 when a church was built. A second church was built in 1839 and the present St. James Church was built in 1883. For many years, Baie Verte was part of the Point de Bute Circuit, but it became a separate circuit in 1860 that also included Bayfield. A church at Lorneville, Nova Scotia was part of the circuit and the church at Port Elgin was added in 1891.
Presbyterian work in the area commenced in Shemogue/Murray Corner in the late 1820s, under Rev. Alexander Clarke, Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter). Clarke held services in Baie Vert and Port Elgin, beginning in the 1840s. Although no church was built in Baie Vert, a church was erected in Port Elgin, ca 1856 served by Rev. Alexander Robinson, also a Covenanter. Mainline Presbyterianism came after the 1875 union, and the Port Elgin church became a Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1876. In 1905, Joseph Howe Brownell, formerly a Covenanter, also became a minister of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in Port Elgin and Tidnish, serving until his death in 1920.
It is unknown when the church known as the Tidnish Bridge United Church building was built. Reformed Presbyterians began to hold meetings in this area in the late 1820s, under the direction of Revs. Alexander Clarke and William Darragh. In the 1880s, mainline Presbyterianism reappeared, ministers coming from Port Elgin; a chief one being Joseph Howe Brownell. With the formation of The United Church of Canada in 1925, the Presbyterian church in Tidnish became Tidnish Bridge United Church. The church was closed in the fall of 2003.
In 1925, the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish were united to form the United Church of Canada Pastoral Charge of Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish.
Baie Verte (St. James) and Port Elgin (Trinity) are the two preaching places on this Pastoral Charge. They are located in Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Tidnish was a third preaching place associated with this Pastoral Charge. It is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. The church at Tidnish Bridge was closed in 2003.
The church at Port Elgin burned on November 20, 1955 and a new building was constructed 1956-1957.
Scope and content
Baie Verte-Port Elgin-Tidnish Bridge Pastoral Charge records
Baie Verte Methodist Circuit records
Shemogue Presbyterian Pastoral Charge records
Trinity United Church (Port Elgin) records
Immediate source of acquisition
Records were received from the pastoral charge in 2001 (accession 01-031), 2002 (accession 02-030), 2005 (accession 05-087), 2006 (06-024), 2007 (accession 07-014), and 2009 (09-025).
Some records were received earlier, but the archives has no accession record for them.