Fonds 131 - Atlantic Classical Association

Title proper

Atlantic Classical Association

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents.

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MtA 131

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Date(s)

  • 1930-1993 (Creation)
    Creator
    Atlantic Classical Association

Physical description

5 cm of textual records

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Name of creator

(Formed in 1930)

Administrative history

The Classical Association of the Maritime Provinces was formed in August 1930. Its constitution appeared in Proceedings of the Classical Association of the Maritime Provinces, first annual meeting, 7-8 August 1931 (copy located in file 1). The first president was James W. Cohoon, Wood Professor of Classics at Mount Allison University, where the first annual meeting was held 7-8 August, 1931.

By 1933, the association included members from Newfoundland. The Classical Association was “reborn” in 1986 when an annual meeting was held at Mount Allison in conjunction with the ninth annual Crake Lectures, 30 September-1 October, 1986. It was named the Atlantic Classical Association at that time. Professor Hans Vanderleest (Mount Allison) was appointed treasurer, and has held the position since.

It is a fairly informal group, meeting annually. The executive membership usually reflects the location of the annual meeting (i.e., for a meeting held at Mount Allison, Mount Allison faculty members are the executive).

Custodial history

Records were deposited by Dr. Ivan Cohen, Department of Classics, Mount Allison University, 1 June, 1994. The minute book, 1930-1939, was passed to Dr. Cohen, probably last held by the Department of Classics, Dalhousie University.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of a minute book; minutes; correspondence; programs; and publications produced through the activities of the Association.

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Deposited by Dr. Ivan Cohen, Deparment of Classics, 1994

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory available at repository

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area