Anglican Diocese of Fredericton
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA PANB MC223
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1786 - (Creation)
- Anglican Church. Diocese of Fredericton
c.150 metres of textual records.
Most of the records are textual but this fonds also includes a significant volume of architectual plans, maps, photographs, a few tapes - both audiovisual and solely, audio, and 122 microfilms.
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
The Anglican Diocese of Fredericton includes all of the civil province of New Brunswick. Originally part of the Diocese of Nova Scotia, the Diocese of Fredericton was created on April 25, 1845 by Letters Patent. It is one of the seven dioceses which constitute the Anglican Church of Canada’s Ecclesiastical Province of Canada .
The first Bishop to serve the Diocese of Fredericton was John Medley, who arrived in Fredericton on June 10, 1845 and continued to serve as Bishop until his death in September 1892. Born in Chelsea, England in 1804, John Medley was educated at Oxford University and was serving as Vicar at St. Thomas' Church in Exeter at the time of his appointment as Bishop. Long-serving and energetic, Bishop Medley presided over the physical and spiritual growth of this Diocese and left a lasting imprint on the Diocese. Bishop Medley quickly established his presence by making regular visitation tours of the province and continued to exert his influence by championing the building of Christ Church Cathedral, 1845-1853, and by presiding over the building or modification of 100 church buildings in the architectural style (Gothic) of which he approved. He also promoted the creation of the Diocesan Synod, which held its first meeting in July 1868 (check) and was incorporated in 1871.
Other Bishops who have served this Diocese were: Hollingworth Tully Kingdon (Coadjutor, 18811892; Bishop, 1892-1907), John Andrew Richardson (Coadjutor, 1906-1907; Bishop, 1906-1938), William Henry Moorhead (1938-1956), Alexander Henry O’Neil (1956-1971), Harold Lee Nutter (Coadjutor, 1971; Bishop, 1971-1989), George Colborne Lemmon (1989-2000) and William Joseph Hockin (Coadjutor, 1998-2000; Bishop, 1998-2003) and Claude Weston Miller was elected as the ninth Bishop of Fredericton in 2003, first as Coadjutor and later that same year became Bishop.
Early in the twenty-first century, the Diocese of Fredericton includes 90 parishes with 180 churches (Check with Phyllis again – number of Parishes and churches has probably changed?, including many historic churches, divided into nine Deaneries and seven Archdeaconries. Approximately eighty clergy serve these churches.
The Bishop’s Office and the Synod Office are located in Fredericton.
Scope and content
This fonds contains the records created by the organizations and clergy of the Diocese of Fredericton - including the Bishops, the Diocesan Synod and its predecessor, the Diocesan Church Society, the Deaneries, the Cathedral and the Parishes. However, it is the latter, the Parishes, which have generated the bulk of the records contained herein. Records produced by the Parishes include the Parish Registers (of Baptisms, Marriages, Burials and Confirmations), records of the Corporation (Vestry), statistical Registers of Services (now called Vestry Books), correspondence and financial records, land deeds and consecration and other legal records, parish histories, photographs etc. Any Parish's records may include some or all of the above and more.
Immediate source of acquisition
These records have been transferred to the Archives by representatives of each Parish at various times.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions are three-fold.
Parish Registers are available on Microfilm Only. The Register will not have been microfilmed if it covers dates within the restricted periods.
Recent Parish Registers are restricted by the Diocesan Council, Anglican Diocese of Fredericton as follows:
Baptisms and Marriages are available up to and including the year, 1955.
Burials and Confirmations are available up to and including the year, 1985.
- Copying of entire Registers (or a large portion thereof) shall not be permitted. Registers may not be published without the permission of the Diocesan Archives and the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Detailed Inventory is available.