Type of entity
Authorized form of name
All Saints Church (St. Andrews, N.B.)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Established ca. 1786
St. Andrews, New Brunswick, was settled by Loyalists in 1784. In 1786, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel assisted the Rev. Samuel Andrews, a Church of England priest and Loyalist from Connecticut, to come to St. Andrews as a missionary. With the guidance of Andrews, the people in the settlement built a church, which, while it belonged to the Church of England, was intended to include all the Protestants of the community. It was named All Saints Church but was always known locally simply as the Church of St. Andrews.
The colonial government provided nearly all the money, and construction was completed in 1790. Internal furnishings were privately funded. In 1846 a chapel-of-ease, built at Chamcook and called St. John's Chapel, was consecrated by John Medley, Bishop of Fredericton. The Rev. Andrews remained in the parish until his death in 1818. He was succeeded by Jerome Alley, from 1819 to 1858, and William Ketchum, from 1858 to 1900. By 1867, the community had grown and other Protestant denominations had built their own churches. A new and larger church, known by its official name of All Saints Church, was constructed, which has served the Anglican community ever since.