Fonds MC219 - All Saints Church (St. Andrews : Anglican) fonds : [1803-1953]

Titre propre

All Saints Church (St. Andrews : Anglican) fonds : [1803-1953]

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Source du titre propre: Title is based on the contents of the fonds.

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA PANB MC219

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Date(s)

  • 1803-1953, 1970 (Production)
    Producteur
    All Saints Church (St. Andrews, N.B.)

Description matérielle

75 cm of textual records and 6 reels of microfilm

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Nom du producteur

(Established ca. 1786)

Histoire administrative

St. Andrews, New Brunswick, was settled by Loyalists in 1784. In 1786, the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel assisted the Rev. Samuel Andrews, a Church of England priest and Loyalist from Connecticut, to come to St. Andrews as a missionary. With the guidance of Andrews, the people in the settlement built a church, which, while it belonged to the Church of England, was intended to include all the Protestants of the community. It was named All Saints Church but was always known locally simply as the Church of St. Andrews.

The colonial government provided nearly all the money, and construction was completed in 1790. Internal furnishings were privately funded. In 1846 a chapel-of-ease, built at Chamcook and called St. John's Chapel, was consecrated by John Medley, Bishop of Fredericton. The Rev. Andrews remained in the parish until his death in 1818. He was succeeded by Jerome Alley, from 1819 to 1858, and William Ketchum, from 1858 to 1900. By 1867, the community had grown and other Protestant denominations had built their own churches. A new and larger church, known by its official name of All Saints Church, was constructed, which has served the Anglican community ever since.

Historique de la conservation

Information about the custody of these records prior to acquisition is incomplete.

Portée et contenu

This fonds consists of both original paper records and microfilm copies. It documents the management of the land owned by the parish and other business affairs of All Saints Church, St. Andrews. The church was granted a large glebe, including land in the town, forest and on the waterfront. The documents consist of bonds, leases, assignments, licences of occupation, memos of sale, notes and mortgages. There is also some business correspondence dating from the first half of the twentieth century. A microfilm of the vital statistics records of the parish (baptisms, marriages and burials), dating from 1787-1961, is also included.

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

M1980.236

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Microfilm nos. F996, F997, F998, F999, F1057, and F1082.

Restrictions d'accès

No restrictions

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

A listing of documents is available.

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées