Showing 1867 results

Authority record

Grand Manan Historical Society

  • CA GMA MG23
  • Corporate body
  • 1931-

The Grand Manan Historical Society, Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, was formed in 1930 under the aegis of Buchanan Charles and was incorporated in 1931. In 1934, the first "Grand Manan Historian" was published by Mr. Charles and the Society as a commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the settlement of Grand Manan. When the organization re-grouped in the 1970's L.K. Ingersoll was the President for many years. Wade Reppert followed in his path for 27 years, retiring in the early 2000's. Future presidents have reduced their years of service and shared the responsibility.

The publication of the "Grand Manan Historian" became the main focus of the Society. It publishes Grand Manan related original works and republishes the many existing reports and essays concerning the Island, its fishery, its geology, its flora and fauna, and its insular way of life.

The Grand Manan Historical Society, together with the Grand Manan Museum Inc., support the Grand Manan Archives. By 2019, 29 issues of "Grand Manan Historian" have been published. The Seal Cove sandbar has been preserved as the Seal Cove Seawall National Historic Site. The Society worked to preserve the area through owning and restoring wharves surrounding the area. Upon completion of the work, the society liquidated the asset to interested parties. The creation of an art gallery for the preservation of the art of Grand Manan in the Historical Society building was accomplished and then turned over to a group of artists able to take the Gallery to the next level. Gleneta Hettrick retired as Archivist in 1998, when Ava Sturgeon filled her position. The Archives continues to receive grants from the Council of Archives of New Brunswick to pursue its work.

Ingersoll, Eunice Lenora

  • Details of Eunice's life are included in the research notes created by Natalie Urquhart, a relative of Eunice.
  • Person
  • 1878-1938

Eunice Lenora Ingersoll was born 21 August 1878 to James and Wealtha Ingersoll, in Seal Cove, Grand Manan, NB, Canada. Eunice went to McLean Hospital, Waverly, Massachusetts, USA to study nursing. She lived and worked away from her home for a long time. Though engaged twice she never married. Eunice became ill with breast cancer and came home to live with her sister, Stella in Seal Cove. She died on December 15, 1938 and she is buried in the Old Seal Cove Cemetery with no headstone.

Buck, Walter M

  • MC15
  • Person
  • 1826-1881

Walter Buck was born in Dublin Ireland December 1826. He was a Civil Engineer. He came to Canada in 1852 where he was appointed Chief Engineer of the New Brunswick & Canada Railway. From that time on he held important positions on every railroad in New Brunswick, and at the time of his death in 1881 he was provincial engineer of New Brunswick. He lived in St Andrews and was aparishman of All Saints Anglican Church. He revised the plans for All Saints Church from a stone structure to a wooden one.

McColl, Rev. Duncan

  • MC23
  • Person
  • 1754-1841

Born on August 22, 1754 in North Britain. Duncan McColl was 20 years old he enlisted in the British army . He arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1778 and fought in many sea battles being wounded on several occasions. In 1786 he started his preaching career and traveled long distances in his mission eventually settling in the St. Stephen area with his wife. He traveled to neighbouring communities to preach the gospel. In 1790 the congregation commenced building the first meeting house in the area. In 1812 Rev. Duncan McColl promoted maintaining peace and order along the St. Croix River. In 1815 he gave a Thanksgiving service in Calais for the peace that had prevailed. Mrs. McColl died in 1819. On December 17 1819, Mr. McColl preached his final sermon. He died at the age of 87.

Stevenson, Benjamin R.

  • MC42
  • Person
  • 1836-1890

Benjamin Robert Stevenson was born April 10, 1835, at Saint Andrews, Charlotte County. He was the son of Robert Stevenson and his wife, Christine G. Milliken. His grandfather, Robert Stevenson, came to Saint Andrews from Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1819.

McLeod, James

  • MC49
  • Person
  • 1852-1929

James McLeod (1852-1929) was born in St. George, New Brunswick. In the early 1870s he married Nettie (Gates?) who died in 1941. He was a master mariner with Scammell Brothers in Saint John and other shipping companies. Scammell Brothers, a firm of merchants and shipping agents was made up of Joseph H., Walter and Charles H. Scammell.

McKenzie Family

  • MC5
  • Family
  • 1800?-2000?

The history of the McKenzie family is incomplete, however, after examining the collection it is evident the family was engaged in trade and embarked on various long ship voyages.

Maxwell, Edward

  • MC54
  • Person
  • 1867-1923

Edward Maxwell was a Canadian architect. The son of Edward John Maxwell, a lumber dealer in Montreal, by his marriage to Johan MacBean, Maxwell graduated from the High School of Montreal at the age of fourteen and was apprenticed to the firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge at Boston. In 1891 the firm was instructed to design a new building for the Montreal Board of Trade, and Maxwell returned home to Montreal to supervise its construction, helped by having good relations with influential members of the Board. In 1892, the jeweller Henry Birks hired him to design a new shop in Phillips Square. Maxwell also designed several stations and hotels for the Canadian Pacific Railway, including the West Vancouver station and the McAdam station. In 1899 Edward was summoned to Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, by Sir William Van Horne, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, to assist with architectural work on his summer home 'Covenhoven' on Minister's Island. In 1899, Edward Maxwell bought the Bar Road land and built a modest summer house, which he named "Tillietudlem", an homage to his Scottish heritage.

Girl Guides, Brownies and Rangers Passamaquoddy Division

  • MC571
  • Corporate body
  • 1915-1995

Founded in England in 1909 by Lord Baden-Powell and his sister Lady Baden-Powell, the purpose of the Girl Guides was to educate young females and shape them into positive role models within their communities. The Guiding Movement reached Canada in 1910 and shortly after the Girl Guides, Passamaquoddy Division, headquartered in St. Andrews, was established incorporating young females from the Charlotte County area. Especially active during and after WW2, the Passamaquoddy Division was in frequent contact with the St. Andrews, Scotland Girl Guide Division. Likewise, the Passamaquoddy Division was active in the community and embarked on many camping excursions around the Charlotte County area and beyond.

Results 1 to 10 of 1867