Donor to the 8th Hussars Museum
Donor to the 8th Hussars Museum
The Tweedie family immigrated to Canada in 1822 when Robert Tweedie (?-1863) and his wife Sarah Dowler (?-1870) left Leitrim County, Connacht, Ireland for Williamstown, New Brunswick. The couple had 10 children, 5 of whom were born in New Brunswick. Three of their sons, William, Robert, and James, all became Methodist ministers in the Maritime provinces.
William Tweedie (1820-1903) married Dorcas Dykeman Calkin (1832-1909) in 1856 and they had three children: Leora Rebecca Tweedie (1858-1951), William Morley Tweedie (1862-1951), and Nettie Eliza Hayward (Tweedie) Beer (1867-1948), all three of whom attended the Mount Allison institutions.
James Tweedie (1826-1898) married Rachel Susannah Smith (?-1912) in 1861 and they had four children: Sarah Jane May (1864-?), Clara Gardiner (1865-?), Reynolds Knowlton (1867-1915), and Thomas Mitchell (1872-1944).
Thomas Mitchell Tweedie was born on 4 March 1871 in River John, Nova Scotia. He was the son of Rev. James Tweedie (1826-1898) and Rachel Susannah Smith (?-1912). He entered Mount Allison University in the fall of 1895, and, while in attendance, was a member of the inter-collegiate debating team. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1902 and subsequently entered Harvard Law School where he received his LL.B. in 1905 and spent an extra year doing postgraduate work. He was admitted to the Alberta bar in 1907 and practiced law in Calgary for nearly fourteen years. He was elected to the Alberta Legislature as a Conservative MLA in 1911 and re-elected in 1913. In 1917, Tweedie was elected as a Member of Parliament to the House of Commons. He vacated the position in 1921 when he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Alberta. After twenty-three years as a puisne justice, Tweedie was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta in August of 1944. He died on 4 October 1944 in Lethbridge, Alberta. A bequest from Thomas Mitchell Tweedie allowed for the construction of Tweedie Hall (the annex of Trueman House, presently the Wallace McCain Student Centre at Mount Allison University) in 1946. The hall was named in honour of both Thomas Mitchell and of William Morley Tweedie.
Nettie Eliza Hayward (Tweedie) Beer was born on 5 February 1867 in Burlington, Nova Scotia. She was the youngest of three children born to Rev. William Tweedie (1820-1903) and Dorcas Dykeman (Calkin) (1832-1909). She entered the Mount Allison Wesleyan Academy (female branch) in 1889 and was put in charge of the Shorthand Department the following year, where she taught from 1890-1894. During her time at Mount Allison, Nettie served as Vice President of the Eclectic Society (1890-91) and as President of its mission band (1891-92). She married William Walter Beer (1848-1913) on 27 January 1894 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island and the couple subsequently moved first to Nelson, British Columbia, and later to Toronto, Ontario. The couple had one daughter: Eleanor Annie Beer, born on 15 December 1896. The child died on 15 August 1897. Nettie died on 31 March 1948. She is buried in the Forest Lawn Mausoleum in Toronto, Ontario.
Leora Rebecca Tweedie was born on 5 June 1858 in Maitland, Nova Scotia. She was the eldest of three children born to Rev. William Tweedie (1820-1903) and Dorcas Dykeman (Calkin) (1832-1909). She entered the Mount Allison Ladies’ College in 1877 and graduated with a degree in Piano from the Conservatory in 1879 and a Mistress of Liberal Arts (M.L.A.) in 1880. She served as one of the presidents of the Alumnae Society and lived for many years with her brother, William Morley, as part of the Sackville and Mount Allison community. She died on 19 December 1951. The funeral was held in Allison Hall, the original site of the Mount Allison Ladies’ College, on the afternoon of 20 December 1951. She is buried with her brother in the Sackville Rural Cemetery.
William Morley Tweedie was born on 16 October 1862 in River John, Nova Scotia. He was the son of Rev. William Tweedie (1820-1903) and Dorcas Dykeman (Calkin) (1832-1909). He received his early education at the Charlotte County Grammar School, St. Andrews, NB and then attended the Mount Allison Academy in 1877-78. The next year, when he was 15 years old, he entered the Mount Allison Wesleyan College. While in attendance, Tweedie was involved in the Eurhetorian Society and acted as an editor and writer for the Argosy. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1882 and won the Gilchrist Scholarship that same year. Tweedie returned to Mount Allison for a farewell dinner in the fall of 1882 before shipping out for England, where he began his studies at the University College of London. He received a B.A. from there in 1884 before undertaking subsequent studies in Heidelberg, Germany and at the University of Berlin. He earned an M.A. from the University College of London in 1887 and was subsequently appointed Professor of English Language and Literature at his alma mater, Mount Allison College. In 1899, after losing most of his personal effects to the First University Men’s residence fire, Tweedie took a leave of absence to further his studies in English and German at Harvard University. He taught continuously for fifty years until his retirement in 1937. After retirement, he became a member of Mount Allison's Board of Regents and was involved in the Mount Allison Federated Alumni. He died in his home in Sackville, New Brunswick on 16 November 1951. He is buried with his sister, Leora, in the Sackville Rural Cemetery.
Rev. James Tweedie was born in North-Esk Parish, New Brunswick in April 1826. He was the son of Robert Tweedie (?-1863) and Sarah Dowler (?-1870), who were married on 9 April 1812 in Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland, and immigrated from Leitrim County, Connacht, Ireland, to Williamstown, New Brunswick in the summer of 1822. He married Rachel Susannah Smith (?-1912), daughter of R. K. Smith, Esq. in Amherst, Nova Scotia on 22 August 1861. They were married by Rev. Humphrey Pickard. The couple had four children: Sarah Jane May (1864-?), Clara Gardiner (1865-?), Reynolds Knowlton (1867-1915), and Thomas Mitchell (1872-1944). He died in Louisbourg, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia on 15 September 1898.
Dorcas Dykeman Calkin was born on 13 April 1832 in Nova Scotia, the daughter of Joshua Calkins (1785-1881?) and Rebecca Dykeman (1796-1881?). She married Rev. William Tweedie on 4 June 1856. The couple had three children: Leora Rebecca, William Morley, and Nettie Eliza Hayward. Dorcas Dykeman (Calkin) Tweedie died on 14 February 1909.
Rev. William Tweedie was born in 1820 in Ireland. He was the son of Robert Tweedie (?-1863) and Sarah Dowler (?-1870), who were married on 9 April 1812 in Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland, and immigrated from Leitrim County, Connacht, Ireland, to Williamstown, New Brunswick in the summer of 1822. William attended the Mount Allison Academy in 1843-44. He and two of his brothers, James and Robert, all became Methodist ministers in the Maritime Provinces. He married Dorcas Dykeman Calkin on 4 June 1856. The couple had three children: Leora Rebecca, William Morley, and Nettie Eliza Hayward. William Tweedie died on 4 April 1903 in Saint John, New Brunswick.
Robert Cullen is a local historian in Ontario, Canada. He had an opportunity to view some archival footage from CBC. In that archive, he found footage from Camp Sussex during the Second World War. Robert graciously donated a copy of that footage to the 8th Hussars Museum in 2019.