Aerial map belonged to Walter Williamson.
Aerial map belonged to Walter Williamson.
Barrister, judge and school inspector William Wilkinson, the son of Catherine and John Wilkinson, was born in Liverpool, England on 11 February 1826. He arrived in Chatham, New Brunswick in 1840 and initially lived with his half-brother, James Johnson, a partner in the firm Johnson & Mackie. William worked as a clerk in the store and then studied law with John M. Johnson. He was called to the bar in 1849 and opened an office at Chatham. He worked in partnership with Johnson from 1853-1868. In 1850 he married Eliza Bacon (d. 1904), the only daughter of the Reverend Samuel Bacon, and they had six children, Their son William J. Wilkinson (1856-1930) was ordained priest in the Anglican Church.
Well-known in the community, in 1852 William Wilkinson was asked to serve as the first school inspector for Northumberland County. Later he represented the rural deanery of Chatham on the board of King's College at Windsor, Nova Scotia. For more than 30 years he acted as vestry clerk of St. Paul's Anglican Church, and he sat as a member of executive committee of the Diocesan Church Society of New Brunswick.
Wilkinson had a long and distinguished legal career. He served as judge of probate for Northumberland County from 1851-1870. In the early 1870s, he entered provincial politics, running unsuccessfully in the provincial election. Subsequently, he was hired as a solicitor for the Intercolonial Railway and was named county immigration agent in 1872. The following year he was appointed Queen's Counsel. In 1877 he was elevated to the position of judge of the Vice-Admiralty Court of New Brunswick, and in 1881 he was named judge of the county court for Northumberland, Gloucester and Restigouche. He retired from public life in 1906, and died at Chatham on 22 November 1918.
Dictionary of Miramichi Biography, W.D. Hamilton, 1997
Elmer Wilcox (1900-1982) was born on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick. He loved his home, and spent many hours photographing its birds, flowers, and unique rock formations. Around 1962, Elmer and L. Keith Ingersoll (d. 1993) began a collection of natural history materials. Together they were the force behind the building of the Grand Manan Museum in 1967 to display their collections. Both men held positions on the Museum Board and worked in the museum on displays.
The collection continues to grow as articles are donated by curators, archivists, and board members as new research is published.
Don Wilcox (1910-1967) was the son of Caswell and Nellie Schofield Wilcox. He lived on Wood Island and in Seal Cove, Grand Manan Island, both in New Brunswick. Don married Myrtle Nelson Anderson (1900-1976), widow of Bartol Anderson. She had two sons from her previous marriage, Nelson and Gerald, who are listed in the Wood Island School register.
Don was the youngest of nine children. His brothers Archer and Leland (Lee) became locally famous for writing songs and poetry. Don's uncle Hiram Wilcox was also a poet. The family recorded many of the interesting adventures of their lives and some of these stories are in this collection.
Lydia Wilcox was born August 8, 1933. She was raised on a small island - Wood Island - in the Grand Manan Archipelago, in the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick. She moved off Wood Island between 1950-1954. She married Herbert Parker in 1954. They had four children. Herbert died young and Lydia never remarried. She focused her life on taking care of her children and helping others. Lydia wrote children's books in her senior years which depict life growing up on a small island.
Richard Wilbur was born in Montreal in 1926 and maintained a dual career as a teacher of Canadian History and a freelance journalist. He taught history at the Arcadian Academic for 9 years and then after moving to St Andrews taught in Saint John. For 25 years he was a freelance writer which included writing a newspaper column on the Fisheries. He also worked for the CBC newsroom for 4 years, which took him to Toronto, the West Coast and Halifax.
His books include The Rise of the French New Brunswick, The Silver Harvest and The Fundy Weir Men Story, which won the Canadian Historical Association Regional Certificate.
Richard Humphrey Wilbur died on March 31, 2016
The house at 331 Brandy Cove Road, St. Andrews was built in 1945 for Blair Gordon and his family. It was designed by H. Ross Wiggs, an architect from Montreal, Quebec. It was originally called the Elbow Bend and remained in the Gordon family until 2003 when it was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Ball.
Upon the sale of the home, Mr. Christopher Gordon who had grown up in the house, built for his mother and father, passed all documents and photographs regarding the family home to the new owners. Extensive work has taken place and the home has changed since new ownership.
Susan Anna Gunhilda Wiggins was born on 6th April 1846 at Waterborough, Queens County, New Brunswick. She was educated by private tutors, and married E. Stone Wiggins at age sixteen. While living with her husband in Ottawa, Susie Wiggins became embroiled in a dispute with the Anglican Lord Bishop of Ontario over his stated objection to the passage of a measure in Parliament legalizing marriage to a deceased wife's sister. Using the pseudonym Gunhilda, she published letters in the press attacking Archbishop Lewis' position, which attracted widespread attention. She also spoke before a senate committee to urge passage of the bill which eventually became law. She died in 1923.
Sources: Wiggins, E. Stone, The History of Queens County; Canadian Men and Women of the Time, 1912, entries for Ezekiel Stone Wiggins and Susan Wiggins