Showing 2063 results

Authority record

À la découverte de la République

  • Corporate body
  • 1974

À la découverte de la République est un projet subventionné par Perspectives-Jeunesse. Il a été effectué par un groupe d=étudiants au cours de l'été 1974.

Ce projet avait pour objectifs à court terme de stimuler l=intérêt des citoyens du Madawaska pour la recherche et la conservation de leur patrimoine, de permettre une étude historique du Madawaska et d=accomplir un travail d=animation culturelle dans la région. Comme objectif à long terme, le projet visait à la création d=un musée régional pour la conservation des richesses historiques.

Pour atteindre ces objectifs, les étudiants proposent de dresser un inventaire et un catalogue des sites historiques régionaux (maisons), de monter un inventaire photographique de ces sites, de préparer un montage audio-visuel, de faire de l=animation par les médias locaux et de publier un travail de synthèse réunissant les découvertes les plus importantes du projet. Trente maisons ont été inventoriées méthodiquement par sept étudiants à travers les localités du comté de Madawaska. Ce projet a été mené à terme grâce à la collaboration des citoyens par le biais d=entrevues.



Zion United Church

  • Corporate body
  • 1925-2010

The Presbyterian church in New Mills became Zion United Church after the formation of The United Church of Canada in 1925 and was part of the New Mills Pastoral Charge. After the amalgamation of New Mills Pastoral Charge and Dalhousie Pastoral Charge in January 2010, it was decided that the congregation of Chaleur United Church, comprised of the remaining members of the New Mills Pastoral Charge, would use the church building in Nash Creek for their worship services.

Zion Church (Portland)

  • Corporate body
  • Opened 1858

John Owens was a leading member of the Methodist community in Saint John, New Brunswick. He disagreed with the majority of his fellow Methodists in believing that instrumental music was not appropriate for church services. When his fellow trustees of Portland Methodist Church installed an organ, he withdrew and with some like-minded associates, he founded an independent church.

Zion Church on Valley Road, Portland, Saint John opened 25 July 1858. The congregation accepted principles close to Methodism and Presbyterianism. Membership was granted after candidates had been examined by the pastor, made a confession of faith and received a majority of the votes of the congregation. The church had strict guidelines for conduct and members who disobeyed were either suspended or excommunicated by a majority of church members present at a regular meeting. The mode of baptism was decided by individual church members and baptism of infants was left to the parents to decide.

The dedication service in 1858 was conducted by Rev. Dr. Donald, a local Presbyterian minister. The following Sunday, Rev. W.H. Daniels, a preacher connected to the Methodist Episcopalian Church became pastor. A Sunday School was organized 29 August 1858.

On 1 August 1859 Daniels was succeeded by Thomas Smith, a former Methodist preacher. The church was enlarged to accommodate 800 people and a parsonage was built during Mr. Smith's pastorate. In 1861, Rev. Daniels returned to the pastorate and was ordained on 1 September. The ordination service was conducted by Rev. Henry Wilkes, pastor of Zion's Church, Montreal; Rev. R. Wilson, Congregationalist of Sheffield; and Rev. George Stirling of Keswick Ridge. They were assisted by serval ministers of Saint John. In 1863, John Baylis became pastor until 1872.
After the death of John Owen in 1867, the management of the church was transferred to a board of trustees who were authorized to appoint pastors from the Episcopal, Presbyterian, Baptist, Congregationalist or Methodist denominations. No instrumental music was to be permitted. Owens left money to run the church and also an endowment for teaching children music and drawing. Ministers of several different denominations served the church until June 1881 when it was closed.

By an act of Parliament, the church was turned into an art gallery and its endowment used to purchase paintings. When the gallery gailed, legislative authority was given to transfer the paintings to Sackville, where, in 1895, they formed the foundation of the permanent collection of the Owens Gallery at Mount Allison University. The church building was turned over to the Methodists and reopened as a Methodist Church in 1893.
Source: "The interesting life story of Zion Methodist Church", "The Semi-Weekly Telegraph" St. John, N.B., 22 January 1902

Zinck, Darrell

  • Corporate body
  • 1908:1932;1933

The Canadian Expeditionary Force was mostly volunteers, as conscription was not enforced until the end of the war when call-ups began in January 1918 (see Conscription Crisis of 1917). Ultimately, only 24,132 conscripts arrived in France before the end of the war.Canada was the senior Dominion in the British Empire and automatically at war with Germany upon the British declaration. According to Canadian historian Dr. Serge Durflinger at the Canadian War Museum, popular support for the war was found mainly in English Canada. Of the first contingent formed at Valcartier, Quebec in 1914, 'fully two-thirds were men born in the United Kingdom'. By the end of the war in 1918, at least 'fifty per cent of the CEF consisted of British-born men'. Recruiting was difficult among the French-Canadian population, although one battalion, the 22nd, who came to be known as the 'Van Doos', was French-speaking ("Van Doo" is an approximate pronunciation of the French for "22" - vingt deux) Private Joseph Pappin, 130 Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force.[3] To a lesser extent, several other cultural groups within the Dominion enlisted and made a significant contribution to the Force including aboriginals of the First Nations, Black Canadians as well as Black Americans.[4] The CEF eventually numbered 260 numbered infantry battalions, two named infantry battalions (The Royal Canadian Regiment and Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry), 13 mounted rifle regiments, 13 railway troop battalions, 5 pioneer battalions, as well as numerous ancillary units including field and heavy artillery batteries, ambulance, medical, dental, forestry, labor, tunneling, cyclist, and service units.A distinct entity within the Canadian Expeditionary Force was the Canadian Machine Gun Corps. It consisted of several motor machine gun battalions, the Eaton's, Yukon, and Borden Motor Machine Gun Batteries, and nineteen machine gun companies. During the summer of 1918, these units were consolidated into four machine gun battalions, one being attached to each of the four divisions in the Canadian Corps.The Canadian Corps with its four infantry divisions comprised the main fighting force of the CEF. The Canadian Cavalry Brigade also served in France. Support units of the CEF included the Canadian Railway Troops, which served on the Western Front and provided a bridging unit for the Middle East; the Canadian Forestry Corps, which felled timber in Britain and France, and special units which operated around the Caspian Sea, in northern Russia and eastern Siberia.

Young, Robert Morgan

  • Person
  • [ca. 1918]-1980

Robert Morgan Young was born circa 1918 in Saskatchewan Landing, Saskatchewan, the son of Richard Adrian and Margaret Ann (Dimock) Young. He served with the Canadian military as an airman during the Second World War and was stationed at Mount Allison University. He lived in the 2nd Men’s Residence which was destroyed by fire on 16 December 1941. He was able to escape with his life and his camera. While living in Sackville he met his wife, Geraldine Main Ward (1919-), who was the daughter of William Walter Ward (1884-1964) and Eva Grace Main (1885-). They were married on 9 February 1943. He subsequently worked as a buyer for CIL and as a business teacher in Toronto and Niagara Falls. He ended his career as the head of the Commercial Department at Westlane Secondary School in Niagara Falls, Ontario. He died in June of 1980.

Results 1 to 10 of 2063