Showing 1922 results

Authority record

Van Horne, Sir William Cornelius

  • Person
  • 1843-1915

Sir William Van Horne began his railway career as a telegraph operator for the Illinois Central Railway in 1857 and worked his way up from ticket agent to train dispatcher, then Superintendent of Telegraphs and finally to Division Superintendent. He was successful in rebuilding and consolidating several US based railways and in 1881 he was enticed to undertake the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). In September 1885 Van Horne became CPR Vice-President. Within four years he was elevated to the position of President. He became Chairman of the CPR Board in 1899 and he resigned in 1910.

Sir William Van Horne was flamboyant, outspoken and multi-talented. His interests were legend as was his sophistication. He had a passion for art and he dabbled in architecture. Incredibly, while the CPR's contract with the government dictated completion of the road within a decade, Van Horne - through sheer determination - found ways to finish it in five. Even more remarkably, once Van Horne had completed the CPR, he operated it and, despite the economic malaise for most of the 1880s and 1890s, made it into a paying proposition. Surely, the Canadian Pacific's role as an instrument of Canadian nationalism would have followed a different course, had Van Horne not been at the helm.

Van Horne purchased part of Minister's Island in 1890. He continued to buy other parcels with the last piece being purchased by his daughter Addie after Sir William's death in 1915. He constructed a summer estate on the site which included Covenhoven - a 50-room summer home with walls constructed from sandstone cut from the shore, a windmill, leading edge gas plant, carriage house, garage, circular bath house and farm buildings. The centrepiece of the agricultural buildings is the livestock barn, a massive two-story timber structure with a hipped gable roof, which was home to Van Horne's thoroughbred horses and prized herd of Dutch belted cattle.

In its day, the Island and Van Horne's activities were a major tourist draw for St Andrews and played a major role in the economic development and support of the region. Indeed he was single-handedly responsible for attracting many of his wealthy friends who came and made St Andrews their summer homes and established St Andrews as Canada's first and oldest seaside resort. Van Horne's engagement of Edward Maxwell, the renowned Boston and Montreal Architect in the creation and design of Covenhoven and the large agricultural barn set the stage for Maxwell's shaping of many of the magnificent buildings in St Andrews that charm visitors and tourists today.
The centrepiece of Van Horne's agricultural buildings is the livestock barn, a massive two-story timber structure with a hipped gable roof, which was home to Van Horne's thoroughbred horses and prized herd of Dutch belted cattle. The historic barn was designed and constructed in 1899 by Edward Maxwell and Sir William Van Horne. The barn is an integral part of the Island summer estate and reflects the importance Van Horne attached to both architecture and agriculture.
source: https://www.ministersisland.net/van-horne.htm

Trueman, Jack

  • Person
  • 1945

Jack Trueman spent many years with the 8th Canadian Hussars. He was named as an Honourary Lieutenant-Colonel of the Regiment. In 2014, he was reunited with the dog tags of hi grandfather who had served during the First World War. Jack's father was Stephen Edward Trueman, born 1907 in Campbellton NB. He served four years during the Second World War.

8th Hussars Museum

  • Person
  • 2004-present

The vision of a Museum for the 8th Canadian Hussars originated in 1981. A little over two decades later, members of the Association created the Museum Committee to oversee the Museum and, in conjunction with the Centennial of the Town of Sussex, the 8th Hussars Military Museum was opened n 2004. It is located in the Historic Sussex Train Station. The Museum focuses on the history of the 8th Hussars within the wider Canadian Military Context. Our collection encompasses artefacts from the American Rebellion of 1776-1783, the Boer War (1899-1902), the First World War, the Second World War, Peacekeeping, the Cold War, and Afghanistan.

Dale Wilson

  • Person
  • 1914-1983

Donor to the 8th Hussars Museum

Tweedie family

  • Family
  • [1822]-1951

The Tweedie family immigrated to Canada in 1822 when Robert Tweedie (?-1863) and his wife Sarah Dowler (?-1870) left Leitrim County, Connacht, Ireland for Williamstown, New Brunswick. The couple had 10 children, 5 of whom were born in New Brunswick. Three of their sons, William, Robert, and James, all became Methodist ministers in the Maritime provinces.

William Tweedie (1820-1903) married Dorcas Dykeman Calkin (1832-1909) in 1856 and they had three children: Leora Rebecca Tweedie (1858-1951), William Morley Tweedie (1862-1951), and Nettie Eliza Hayward (Tweedie) Beer (1867-1948), all three of whom attended the Mount Allison institutions.

James Tweedie (1826-1898) married Rachel Susannah Smith (?-1912) in 1861 and they had four children: Sarah Jane May (1864-?), Clara Gardiner (1865-?), Reynolds Knowlton (1867-1915), and Thomas Mitchell (1872-1944).

Tweedie, Thomas Mitchell

  • Person
  • 1871-1944

Thomas Mitchell Tweedie was born on 4 March 1871 in River John, Nova Scotia. He was the son of Rev. James Tweedie (1826-1898) and Rachel Susannah Smith (?-1912). He entered Mount Allison University in the fall of 1895, and, while in attendance, was a member of the inter-collegiate debating team. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1902 and subsequently entered Harvard Law School where he received his LL.B. in 1905 and spent an extra year doing postgraduate work. He was admitted to the Alberta bar in 1907 and practiced law in Calgary for nearly fourteen years. He was elected to the Alberta Legislature as a Conservative MLA in 1911 and re-elected in 1913. In 1917, Tweedie was elected as a Member of Parliament to the House of Commons. He vacated the position in 1921 when he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Alberta. After twenty-three years as a puisne justice, Tweedie was appointed Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Alberta in August of 1944. He died on 4 October 1944 in Lethbridge, Alberta. A bequest from Thomas Mitchell Tweedie allowed for the construction of Tweedie Hall (the annex of Trueman House, presently the Wallace McCain Student Centre at Mount Allison University) in 1946. The hall was named in honour of both Thomas Mitchell and of William Morley Tweedie.

Results 1 to 10 of 1922