Showing 1904 results

Authority record

Canadian Pacific Railway Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1881 -

The Canadian Pacific Railway Company was founded in 1881 after it received a charter, twenty-five million dollars, and twenty-five million acres of land. Its primary objective was to link Eastern Canada with the West, enabling goods to be shipped to markets throughout Canada and settlers to travel to Western Canada. This new company was headed by George Stephen, president of the Bank of Montréal, and Donald Smith, a financial tycoon of the Hudson's Bay Company. The CPR's general manager, William Cornelius Van Horne, began construction of the railway in 1882. The line was completed in 1885, at Craigellachie, BC.

The CPR established control over the Woodstock, Carleton County, railway station in 1890, after it leased the New Brunswick Railway Company for 990 years. The Woodstock line was one of the first constructed in the province, having connections to St. Andrews, Québec, and Maine. The line had been developed primarily for settlement and resource development purposes in the mid-1850s, but later became important in the transportation of goods to northern Maine, New England, and Central Canada.

When the Woodstock station on Queen Street was unable to handle the increased volume of traffic, the CPR Company built a new station, in 1910, in Lower Woodstock . This station closed when the Upper Woodstock railway bridge was destroyed by a spring flood.

Carleton County Council

  • Corporate body
  • 1852-1961

Following the passage of the Municipal Corporations Act in 1852, Carleton County, New Brunswick established its first county council. The council included the parishes of Woodstock, Northampton, Brighton, Simonds, Wicklow, Wakefield, and Kent. H. E. Dibblee and William Lindsay were the first councillors of Woodstock. Parish officers were elected annually and included the following positions: overseer of the poor, commissioner of roads, town clerk, poundkeeper, hog reeve, surveyor of dams, sealer of leather, assessor of rates, surveyor of roads, constable, collector of rates, fence viewer, clerk of the market, boom master, inspector of butter, surveyor of grindstones, and field driver.

The council was responsible for local matters including fines, fees, accounts, and salaries of county officers. They were responsible for the prevention of indecency, the control of the running of large cattle, and the use of slaughter houses within town limits. They were also involved in removing nuisances and providing for ""good rule"" and government. They had custody of the common seal for the municipality, and were in charge of the lock up houses. They also oversaw the poor and regulated public exhibitions. The Carleton County Council was dissolved in 1967.

Carleton County Agricultural Society

  • Corporate body
  • mid-1800s - ?

The Carleton County Agricultural Society was established in the mid-1800s in order to provide a forum where farmers and those interested in agriculture could discuss agricultural matters such as crops, livestock, and prices. The Carleton County Agricultural Society covered the areas of Woodstock and Jacksonville, New Brunswick. The society's primary activities included the buying and selling of cattle at auction for profit and organizing annual county exhibitions. At these exhibitions, members of the society would show their cattle, horses, and sheep. The society also purchased land on which to house its livestock and hold exhibitions.

The society held annual meetings to determine its administration. The earliest known president of the society was S. Peabody, who became president in 1875 and remained in that position until 1883 .

Carleton-York Regiment

  • Corporate body
  • 1869-1954

The Carleton Light Infantry was organized on 10 September 1869 from the Carleton County Militia, which had begun before the war of 1812 when two of its officers were attached to the 104th Regiment. The headquarters of the Carleton Light Infantry was in Woodstock, New Brunswick, with its companies positioned in the counties of Carleton, Victoria, and Madawaska. The first camp attended by the unit was held at Camp Rose near Fredericton in 1871. Training camps were held bi-annually at different locations until Sussex Camp was created in 1880 and training became an annual affair.

In 1885, the Carleton Light Infantry supplied a company to the New Brunswick battalion formed for service in the North West Rebellion. In 1899, during the Boer War, a number of Carleton N.C.O.s enlisted and served with the Canadian contingents in South Africa. In 1914, when the Great War began, the Canadian Expeditionary Force was formed from elements of all militia units and by general recruiting.

At the end of the First World War, the militia lay dormant for twelve to fifteen months until the Carleton Light Infantry was reorganized into one active and one reserve battalion. The 1st Battalion of the Carleton Light Infantry under the command of Colonel L. L. Kennedy was made up of four companies: "A" Company in Woodstock, "B" Company in Edmundston, "C" Company in Hartland, and "D" Company in Andover.

By 1937, the Carleton Light Infantry had amalgamated with the York County militia unit to become the Carleton and York Regiment (CYR) under the command of Lt. Col. W.B. Manzer. The CYR was active during the Second World War, participating in the Allied invasion of Italy and the liberation of Holland. Following the war, the Canadian armed forces underwent significant restructuring. As a result, the Carleton and York Regiment was amalgamated with the New Brunswick Scottish to form the 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Regiment (Carleton and York), in October of 1954. In 1956, the term "Royal" was added to the name, before "New Brunswick"--a name the regiment retains in 2013. Though the CYR’s regimental colours were laid to rest at the Provincial Legislature in February of 1955, the 1st Battalion retained the battle honours of the CYR.

Source of history of the Carleton and York Regiment: Robert Tooley, "Invicta: The Carleton and York Regiment in the Second World War," (Fredericton: New Ireland Press, 1989).

McKeen's Drug Store

  • Corporate body
  • early-20th century -

McKeen's Drug Store was located on Main Street, Woodstock, Carleton County, New Brunswick, and was operating in the early twentieth century. The store sold medicines and pharmaceuticals through orders and prescriptions written by Carleton County physicians for their patients. By the mid-twentieth century, C. Allen Poole was the drug store's proprietor and pharmacist. From that date, many customers, in their correspondence, referred to the store as Poole's Drug Store.

Carleton-Victoria County Teachers' Institute

  • Corporate body
  • 1878-

The Carleton County Teachers' Institute was established on 6 June 1878, in order to organize Carleton County teachers and provide a forum where teachers could discuss job related issues and professional development matters. Among the Institute's first administration were W.H. Dibblee, president; James McCoy, vice-president; Josiah Murphy, secretary-treasurer; and Susan Price and William B. Wiggins, both committee of management officers. Wiggins and Price were elected to act with the administration. Annual sessions in following years would include a nominating committee, resolution committee, and an audit committee. By 1917, the Carleton County Teachers' Institute was renamed to include the county of Victoria, thereafter; known as the Carleton-Victoria County Teachers' Institute .

New Brunswick Railway Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1846-

The New Brunswick Railway Company was established in 1846. Construction on a line between St. Andrews and Woodstock began in 1847 and continued for a decade before the first 34 miles of track were opened. In the 1880s, the New Brunswick Railway Company extended its line through construction and by leasing existing lines from other companies. The company constructed stations, buildings, and workshops to accommodate its customers and employees. By 1886, the Canadian Pacific Railway, the dominant railway company in the West, was moving eastward by leasing existing lines. In 1890, the CPR leased the New Brunswick Railway Company's lines for 990 years.

Dunbar Engine and Foundry Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1891-n.d.

Alexander Dunbar was born in 1839 in Aberdeen, Scotland, to James and Helen Dunbar. He and his wife, Matilda, had eleven children: Alexander Jr., Andrew, Matilda, William, Agnes, Henry, John, George, Kathleen, and Robert. Alexander Dunbar (Sr.) was a machinist by trade. In 1872 he moved to Woodstock, New Brunswick, where he worked for H.A. Connell and for the town of Woodstock as a superintendent for the water works and superintendent of the electric light plant. In 1891, Dunbar joined James Hayden to open a foundry and machine shop. In 1894 Alexander and sons Alexander Jr., Andrew, and William bought out Hayden's shares. The business was incorporated as Alexander Dunbar & Sons in 1905. By 1917 it was known as the Dunbar Engine and Foundry Company. The foundry and machine shop manufactured items such as steam engines, rotary saws, single machines, and brass and iron casting.

Sources: Biographical Review: Province of New Brunswick. ed. I. Allen Jack, 1900

Carleton County Historical Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1960-

The Carleton County Historical Society was established in 1960, after Jock Fraser, K.E. MacLauchlan, and Laura S. MacLauchlan applied for letters patent. The society's first meeting, held 26 May 1960, named Kenneth Homer, Jock Fraser, Rowena Caulkin, and Carolyn Chase as its first directors. The society's major functions included obtaining property, establishing historical sites, and promoting the history of Carleton County. The society was responsible for discovering and collecting materials that illustrated the history of the county, including its exploration, settlement, development, and activities in peace and war, and its progress in population, wealth, education, arts, sciences, agriculture, manufactures, trade, and transportation. Materials included printed documents, manuscript papers, and material objects illustrative of the life, conditions, events, and activities of the past and present. The society provided for the preservation of these materials and for its accessibility to the public. Connell House, Connell Street, Woodstock, NB, was chosen as the society's office and location for historical materials and artifacts.

Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Library

  • Corporate body
  • 1914-

The Lewis Peter Fisher Memorial Library in Woodstock, New Brunswick, was completed in 1914, two years after the work began. The library was named after its beneficiary, Lewis Peter Fisher, a Woodstock attorney, whose will provided for $20, 000 from his estate to be used in the construction of a free public library. The executors of his estate, Allison B. Connell and F.H.J. Dibblee, hired architect, G. Ernest Fairweather and contractor, J. Fred Ryan, to begin construction on the plot of land located at the corner of Chapel and Main St. in Woodstock. The town council and mayor of Woodstock approved construction and the town council of Woodstock passed a resolution stating that they would provide annual funds to assist the governing body of the library and provide for maintenance costs.

In 1914, a library commission was appointed by Allison B. Connell and F.H.J. Dibblee, with Judge John L. Carleton appointed as chairman. The commission’s first meeting was held 28 May 1914. Frank Baird was named secretary and F.H.J. Dibblee, treasurer. Arthur F. Garden was named treasurer at the second meeting after Dibblee resigned. The library commission dissolved in 1916 after Judge John Carleton submitted his resignation.

Results 1 to 10 of 1904