Showing 6 resultsAuthority record
- Corporate body
- circa 1902 to 1960s
Alfred Burwash Robinson was born on August 6, 1874, in Shediac, New Brunswick, to Jane Amos and John Mathias Robinson. He died in 1969 in Sackville, New Brunswick. He was buried next to his wife Margaret I. Cook (1871-1939) at the Four Corners Upper Sackville Cemetery. Burwash opened a general store between 1902-1903, adding a post office at the same location shortly afterwards. Burwash lived nearby in the small house near Harper Lane (now 352 Main Street, Middle Sackville) and was assisted by his son-in-law George Creasy. He operated a grocery store in 1927, and he is believed to have owned and operated a tannery, but we are uncertain of the dates of operation. All of Burwash’s businesses were located in Middle Sackville. Although we do not know how long Burwash operated the general store and post office, we know that in the 1950’s Burwash’s son-in-law George Creasy was the chief operator. The vacant Burwash Robinson General Store and Post Office building were torn down in 2004.
Charles Wetmore (C.W.) Fawcett was born on June 6, 1874, in Sackville, New Brunswick, to Charles and Catherine (Wetmore). He married Mary Medina Chapman on January 27, 1909, in Westmorland, New Brunswick and they had four children. He died on February 16, 1954, at the age of 79. His father Charles Fawcett founded the Charles Fawcett Manufacturing Company in Sackville, New Brunswick in 1852. Long known as the Fawcett Foundry, the company was renamed Enamel & Heating Ltd. in 1928 after the acquisition of foundries in Amherst, Nova Scotia and Victoria, British Columbia. The foundry in Sackville became known as Plant #1, but was still known locally as the Fawcett Foundry. They manufactured a wide variety of stoves, furnaces, and hot water heaters. When C.W. Fawcett’s father died in 1907, he and his brother Horace took over responsibility as President and Vice President of the company, with C.W. Fawcett holding the latter position.
- 1844-1854, [1880-?], 1887-1890.
James Smith was born in MacDuff, Scotland on 18 March 1793 and died in Sackville, New Brunswick on 16 August, 1865. He married Isobell Bruce in 1815 and had eight children with her, one of them being Abner Smith (1835-1904), born in Shemogue, New Brunswick. Isobell died in 1842 in Shemogue, New Brunswick. James later married Abigail Peirse in Amherst, Nova Scotia in 1845. During the first half of the 19th century, James Smith manufactured harnesses, boots, and shoes, and by the 1850s his was one of at least seven tanneries located in Middle Sackville. Abner carried on his father’s large-scale boot and shoe operation and in 1865 he established Abner Smith’s Manufacturer of Boots and Shoes in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. The company remained active for thirty-seven years until it was purchased by the Standard Manufacturing Company organized by A. E. Wry in 1903 (renamed A. E. Wry Standard, Ltd in 1914).
- Corporate body
Albert Edward (A.E.) Wry was born in Sackville, New Brunswick on March 23, 1864 to James Wry and Charlotte T. Kay. He married Emma J. Richardson on June 5, 1889, in Sackville, New Brunswick. He died on November 30, 1945, at the age of 81, and is buried in Sackville, New Brunswick. The A.E. Wry Standard Manufacturing Company came into existence as an amalgamation of three local companies located in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick: the Ayer Boot & Shoe Company (Acquired by A.E. in 1902), the Abner Smith Manufacturer of Boots and Shoes (Acquired by A.E. in 1903), and A.E Wry’s own company, A.E. Wry & Co. Harness (founded in 1896). Prior to starting his own company, Albert Edward Wry had been a long-time employee of J. R. Ayer. Wry’s business became known as the Standard Manufacturing Company by 1906. In 1914, the shareholders of the Standard Manufacturing Company and A. E. Wry Limited, the two main branches of this industry, combined their efforts to form A.E Wry - Standard Ltd. This company was the largest of its kind in Canada, manufacturing boots and shoes, moccasins and shoe packs, harnesses of all types, and various types of leather. They were also jobbers of saddlery, hardware, leather, Saskatchewan robes and coats, sheepskin coats, trunks, bags, etc. The dates that the A.E Wry - Standard Ltd. Company officially closed its doors has not been determined, though in 1939 the property was acquired by the J. L. Black Company after their main store and warehouse burned down.
Margaret Elizabeth “Marcie” (Morice) Fullerton was born on 25 February 1920 in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick to John Wright Morice (1902-1981) and Edith (Campbell) Morice (1901-1972). She was educated in local schools and graduated from the Middle Sackville Superior School. She later attended the Mount Allison Commercial College where she completed her certificate in secretarial studies in 1937. A lifelong resident of Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. Marcie was the secretary to five Mount Allison University presidents between 1945 and 1986 including: George J. Trueman, W.T. Ross Flemington, Bill Crawford, Laurence Cragg, and Guy MacLean. She married Charles Russell Fullerton (1923-2007) on April 24, 1943 and the couple had one child, David Fullerton. Marcie was President and founder of the Sackville branch of The Business and Professional Woman’s club. Marcie had a passion for collecting textual records and photographs pertaining to the history of Sackville. She died in Saint John, New Brunswick on 11 April 2015. She is interred in the Westcock Cemetery in Westcock, New Brunswick.