Showing 2240 results

Authority record

R.A. Gregory lumber company

  • Corporate body
  • Established in 1840

R.A. Gregory was a lumber merchant, at Rodney Wharf in Carleton, New Brunswick. The company was first established in 1840 by John Robertson who was succeeded by Messrs. DeVebers & Carmen in 1873. Gregory took over the business in 1875. The premises were located in a two storey building, 100 X 200 feet in dimensions. The company employed 100 people in 1887. The business sold spruce and pine lumber, laths, pickets, boxes to English and American markets.

Robert A. Gregory was a native of Ireland and came to Saint John in 1835. He was member of the Masons.

Source: Our Dominion, 1887

Jones, Fred G.

  • Person
  • d. [ca. 1973]

Fred G. Jones was a bookbinder in Saint John, New Brunswick, and was employed by J.A. MacMillan Company, a printing firm, from 1911 to 1954. He won first prize at the 1922 Saint John Exhibition for his bookbinding. In 1932, Fred became bindery foreman at J.A. MacMillan Company. He was married to Clara and lived in north end Saint John. Fred G. Jones died around 1973.

Saint John City Directory, 1909-1975

Agricultural Society (Sussex and Studholm, N.B.)

  • Corporate body
  • Established 1841

The Sussex and Studholm Agricultural Society #21 was founded in 1841 to promote and improve the state of agriculture in New Brunswick. During the early years, the society tried to establish better agricultural practices and contributed to the improvement of livestock by importing breeding stock and holding weekly livestock auctions.

Moorhead, Rev. John Francis

  • Person
  • n.d.; fl. [1945]-2001

The Rev. John Francis Moorhead is the son of Rev. William Henry Moorhead (d. 1962) and C. Mabel Wilson of Quebec province. William Moorhead was an Irish immigrant who became the fourth bishop of Fredericton. His son John followed his father's footsteps into the priesthood and was ordained by him. J. F. Moorhead served as a military chaplain during the Second World War and later served in the dioceses of Brandon, Manitoba, and Fredericton, New Brunswick. In 2001, the Rev. John Moorhead was living in Sussex, New Brunswick.

Sources: Lyman Harding, Citizen With the Saints a Brief History of Anglicanism in New Brunswick; New Brunswick Telephone Directory, 2001

Ladies Morning Musical Club

  • Corporate body
  • Founded 1925

The Ladies Morning Musical Club was founded 17 November 1925 in Saint John, New Brunswick, and continued until February 1959. The club was created "for the mutual benefit and instructions of its members in vocal and instrumental music, to increase the interest and desire for the best music in the community and to promote sociability. For the giving of concerts and such purposes to engage the services of such professional musicians and artists… as instructors or to assist as instructors in public and private performances."

The club was open to all women who were willing to pay the $5.00 annual fee. It allowed visitors to meetings for $0.50. The musical club had an executive of 16 members and used a small orchestra for its meetings, which were held at one time at the Admiral Beatty Hotel. The club took an interest in promoting young musicians. It held Student Day Performances and was instrumental in the formation of the New Brunswick Festival of Music.

Saint John Art Club

  • Corporate body
  • Started [189-]

The Saint John Branch of the Women's Art Association of Canada began in the late 1890s in Saint John, New Brunswick. The members decided to form an independent association that included both men and women and as a result, the Saint John Art Club was formed on 12 November 1908. The new club's constitution stated the main object of the club was to be "The general advancement of fine arts and the promotion and facilitating of greater knowledge and love of art on the part of the public generally." It was also to provide art instruction for a fee by lecturers and teachers who would be paid for this work.

From its inception, the Saint John Art Club began acquiring objets d'art and paintings by well known Canadian, British and American artists. The artworks were either purchased with club funds or were donated by members. In 1914, there was a paid-up membership of between 200 and 300 people, many of whom had valuable collections of paintings.

The Saint John Art Club gathered paintings from individuals and societies both in New Brunswick and other provinces to make up exhibitions for their own enjoyment. These were hung at the studio on Peel Street, at the Art Club art school in the City Market building or at the Church of England Institute. They also hung travelling exhibitions from the National Gallery of Canada. The exhibitions were open to members and art students. In 1912, the Saint John Exhibition Association approached the Art Club to assist with creating an Art Department at the annual fall fair in Saint John.

The Art Club held regular monthly meetings and organized public lectures. The Club also was very involved in children's education in art. In 1944 and 1945, the Saint John Art Club advocated creative art as a subject in public schools and the following year, the first of several local children's art exhibitions was held. The Art Club proposed lending some of their pictures to school classes for instructional purposes. Children's art classes were held in the summer in a room at the Saint John Public Library and their work was shown in an exhibit at the local department store in 1955.

In 1949, their exhibition, 'Painters For Fun' for local amateur artists proved to be very popular and brought many new members into the Club. The Saint John Art Club, the oldest continuing art club in Canada, is still in existence. The club operates two galleries, one at Market Square in central Saint John and another in Parkway Mall in the eastern part of the city. The club offers instruction to both children and adults.

Eclectic Reading Club

  • Corporate body
  • Formed 1880

The Eclectic Reading Club was formed in December 1880 in Saint John, New Brunswick, for the mutual improvement of the members in reading and their knowledge of general literature. The first slate of officers were president, Dr. LeBaron Botsford; vice-presidents, Mrs. George Matthew and Miss Murray; secretary, Arthur Tippett and assistant secretary, Sarah Millidge.

Members could nominate individuals for membership in the Eclectic Reading Club which was granted by a two-thirds vote. New members were required to be ready at any meeting after the first attendance to read when called upon. The annual subscription fee was initially 25 cents which, by the 1950s, rose to $1.00. Any member absent for 3 consecutive meetings without reasonable excuse was subject to termination of membership.

Meetings were held in members' homes. Readings at meetings were not to exceed 20 minutes unless a unanimous vote allowed an extra 10 minutes. Refreshments at meetings were limited to coffee and cake or other light refreshments. Members were permitted to bring a guest to meetings. Membership could not exceed 50 excluding the executive committee and honourary members.

In the early years, the books to be read were chosen by a selection committee, but in later years that role was taken over by the executive committee. Plays were also presented occasionally. In 1897, the club put on a performance of "As You Like It". In 1955, Philip Golding's 3 act play "The Adventuress" with a cast of 8, was staged at the Brandy Point Playhouse by Mary Kean with setting and lighting by Ted Campbell.

It is believed the Eclectic Book Club is still in existence.

T.H. Estabrooks Co. Ltd.

  • Corporate body
  • 1894-1984

T.H. Estabrooks Company was created by Theodore H. Estabrooks (1861-1945) in Saint John, New Brunswick in 1894 to blend, pack and ship tea. They developed the Red Rose brand. In 1931, Estabrooks sold the company to the English firm, Brooke Bond. They continued to produce the Red Rose brand in Saint John until 1984 when Brooke Bond was bought out by Unilever. The factory in Saint John was closed in 1984.

Saint John Oratorio Society

  • Corporate body
  • Organized 1882, incorporated 1896

The Saint John Oratorio Society was organized in Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1882 and incorporated in 1896. The Society met weekly and elected an executive annually. Their Board of Management consisted of a president, vice president, librarian, treasurer, conductor and secretary. There was also a ladies auxiliary. The Society held weekly practices at rooms in the Orange Hall Building at 121 Germain Street in central Saint John. The society performed in concerts, mostly of sacred music, at various locations including the Saint John Opera House and many churches. They performed Handel's "Samson" in December 1894 at the Brussels Street Baptist Church.

Murray & Gregory Ltd.

  • Corporate body
  • Founded in 1846 or 1847

Murray & Gregory, Ltd were manufacturers and shippers of lumber and lumber products in Saint John, New Brunswick. The company was founded in 1846 or 1847. In 1867 it was named Long, Barnhill & Co., and when Mr. Long died Mr. W. H. Murray purchased his interest and that of Barnhill. Mr. J. Fraser Gregory had been employed in the business since 1881 and in 1899 was made a partner. W.H. Murray retired in 1904 and died a year later. The same year the company was organized as a limited liability company, with Mr. J. Fraser Gregory as president and manager. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1903, but was immediately rebuilt. The buildings included a saw mill, a woodworking factory, and a dry kiln.

City of Saint John, its facilities and interests, 1908

Results 61 to 70 of 2240