- fl. 1943 - 1956
Herman A. Lordly was a librarian at the Law School in Saint John, New Brunswick.
Herman A. Lordly was a librarian at the Law School in Saint John, New Brunswick.
William Diller Matthew was the son of George Frederick and Katherine. He was born in Saint John. He married Kathleen Lee Matthew and had one son and two daughters. He was educated at the University of New Brunswick and Columbia University, N.Y., where he received a Ph.D. He was in charge of the Vertebrate Paleontology Department at the Museum of Natural History, New York. He was a fellow in the Royal Society of Great Britain; member of the Geological Society and Paleontological Society of America.
Prominent People of the Maritime Provinces, 1922; and Census, 1851
George Cumming lived in Cornwallis, Kings County, Nova Scotia, in the early nineteenth century. His sister, Mary McLean, lived in Saint Martins, New Brunswick. She was widowed in December 1836. George's brother, Hugh, who had 2 children, probably lived near Saint John, New Brunswick.
Ganong Brothers Limited, a confectionery company in St. Stephen, New Brunswick, on the American border, was founded by James (b. 1841) and Gilbert White Ganong (1851-1917) in 1873 as a grocery store named G.W. Ganong, Commission Merchant. The business nearly failed within its first few months before the brothers discovered the market for specialty goods such as fruit, nuts, and candy. After unsuccessful attempts to buy candy from other suppliers, the Ganongs began to manufacture their own.
In May 1877, the Ganong business was destroyed by fire but was soon back in operation. By 1884, the Ganong brothers had expanded, forming a partnership with James Picard of Calais, Maine, to manufacture soap at the St. Croix Soap Company. In 1884 the divided their interests: Gilbert managed the candy company and James ran St. Croix Soap Co.
Until the mid 1880s, the Ganongs relied on unspecialized local labour to make their candy. Then they hired Chris Laubman, a 16-year-old from Bavaria, Germany, whose family were professional candymakers and who was trained in the craft. Over the next few years the company hired several trained candymakers. Frank Sparhawk specialized in hard candy and invented the Chicken Bone, one of the company's trademark products. George Ensor was the gumdrop man and, with Arthur Ganong, invented the 5-cent chocolate bar. Versatile Edward Bosein specialized in pan candies and also invented the Palomine chocolate bar; Alex Reid's specialty was caramels.
The addition of the expert candymakers enabled Ganongs to compete with larger firms by developing unique new products of the highest quality. In 1889, the company patented a process for stamping GB, which stood for Ganongs' Best on individual chocolates. In 1906, Ganongs began mixing their own chocolate, using beans from Trinidad, Ecuador, Ceylon and Brazil specially selected by Arthur Ganong. In that same year, Ganongs started the Home Paper Box Company to provide good quality packaging at an economical price. The Home Paper Box Company grew from 20 to 100 employees and invented the heart-shaped box for Valentine candy.
In 1892, the legal name of Ganong Brothers became Ganong Brothers Limited.
From about 1910 to 1920, Ganongs experienced labour shortages and even considered moving out of St. Stephen. A rival, the White Candy Company begun in 1865 by Thomas White, manufactured full lines of candy and confectionery in Saint John, New Brunswick. By 1911, with its name in bad repute, the company was bought out by Ganongs, and the company name was changed to the Corona Company. The Corona plant was used to manufacture its second line, 'Lily Chocolates'. The Corona Company, run by Walter Ganong, Arthur's younger brother, lost money but was intended to keep competition out of Saint John.
After Gilbert Ganong died in 1917, James' son, Arthur (1877-1960), and his three brothers took control of the company under Arthur' s management. Financial difficulties and challenges to the control of the company within the family during the mid to late 1930s eventually were settled by the courts.
R. Whidden Ganong (b. 1906), Arthur's son, was president from 1957-1977. David Ganong (b. 1943) the current president of the company, took over when R. Whidden retired in 1977. David is Arthur's grandson, son of Philip Ganong (1908-1985).
David Folster, The Chocolate Ganongs of St. Stephen; Information kept in New Brunswick Museum Ganong CB and Ganong Candy Manufacturers CB
James A. Inches was born in Scotland around 1832. He and his wife, Charlotte had 4 children: Clarence (b. ca. 1855) ; Charlotte (b. ca. 1856); Annie (b. ca. 1858); and Walter (b. 1861). The Inches family was Episcopalian. In 1862, James Inches, who is described as a clerk, began to organize a company of militia at St. Stephen.
On 8 January 1866, Lieutenant-Colonel James A. Inches reported to New Brunswick's Lieutenant Governor, Arthur Gordon, on Fenian activity in Calais, Maine, just across the border from St. Stephen. The Fenians, an Irish American group, were planning raids into British North America in support of Irish independence. The Fenians were active in the towns along the border, trying to drum up support for their cause. In April 1866 they briefly occupied Indian Island.
On 23 May, Inches sent the Lieutenant-Governor a telegram about the Fenian activities in Calais. At Gordon's request, he made a more detailed report on 24 May. He outlined Fenian movements, naming two men, Doyle and James Barrett, as being highly involved in transporting weapons within Calais then out of the area by sea. He refused to name the source of his information, stating only that it was undoubtedly reliable.
Source: Harold Davis, "The Fenian raid on New Brunswick," Canadian Historical Review, vol. 36, 1955.
The Royal Kennebecasis Yacht Club is located in Millidgeville, Saint John, New Brunswick. The club received the royal warrant in 1898 and the admiralty warrant in 1899. It houses sailing vessels, pleasure craft and other small boats. The club allows access to the wharf and its facilities. It has a number of annual races.
The first meeting of the Women's Enfranchisement Association in Saint John, New Brunswick, was held at Mrs. Sarah Manning's home on 30 March 1894 to discuss forming a society for the political enfranchisement of women. The object of the organization was to work with the Dominion Women's Enfranchisement Association in securing the right to vote at all elections for Canadian women. There were 18 individuals present and Mrs. Emma Fiske was in the chair. The following were elected to office: president, Mrs. Sarah Manning; 1st vice-president, Miss Skinner; 2nd vice-president, Miss V.F.S. Eaton; secretary-treasurer, Mrs. Ella B.M. Hatheway; and corresponding secretary, Mrs. Emma Fiske. Mrs. J.R. Elliott of Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia, was a corresponding member. The New Brunswick Branch of the Dominion Women's Enfranchisement Association was chosen as the official name of the association at the second meeting when the constitution was adopted. Annual dues were 50 cents.
Meetings of the Women's Enfranchisement Association in Saint John consisted of a business meeting then discussed political economy, considering such ideas as "Exchange of Wealth" and read articles from the newspaper and magazines which related to women, such as "Female Poaching on Male Preserves". Members also researched, wrote and presented papers on various aspects of politics and social ideas to the Association for discussion including Miss Murphy's paper, "Complete Education".
The Women's Enfranchisement Association became involved in many areas of society, particularly those concerning women: treatment of women prisoners at the city jail, claims of women teachers to equal pay with men in the same profession, the matter of young girls on the street, clean drinking water, and education including public kindergarten.
On 19 September 1896, a meeting at the Mechanics Institute was held to inform the public on the matter of suffrage for women. Miss Skinner presided and the attendance was good. There were addresses by Mrs. Julia Ward Howe, president of the Society for Advancement of Women; Mrs Edna Cheney; Miss E.H. Botume; and Mrs. M.F. Eastman. Mr. A.A. Stockton spoke at the end of the meeting on the laws of New Brunswick regarding women. The association also hoped the meeting would spur an increase in their membership. In 1912, the noted suffragist Sylvia Pankhurst came to Saint John to speak on voting rights for women.
Several bills, from 1895 onward, were presented to the Legislature on behalf of the Women's Enfranchisement Association by elected members of the government such as A.A. Stockton and Dr. S. Alward who supported women's right to vote but all were defeated until the government passed legislation giving women in the province the vote in 1919 Seven prominent Saint John women travelled to the New Brunswick Legislature in Fredericton in 1909 to lobby for the partial suffrage bill under consideration. The lawmakers responded by crying for 'help', 'police', 'Sergeant-At-Arms', followed by the loud clanging of the division bells.
By 1915, the name of this organization changed to Saint John Woman Suffrage Association.
The Saint John Horticultural Association was incorporated in 1893 to create a public park for the citizens of Saint John, New Brunswick. The first officers were: Sir Samuel Leonard Tilley, president; W. W. Turnbull and Thomas McAvity, vice-presidents; and James Reynolds, secretary treasurer. In 1894 the association resolved to acquire land for the park. It was successful, and several plots were either given or purchased for that purpose, including an area called Rockwood.
Eventually, the association's project was named Rockwood Park. In 1899 New York landscape architect Downing Vaux prepared a formal plan of the park. Rockwood comprised 500 acres of land and water in 1914. By 1967, it had grown to include 2200 acres, making it Canada's largest urban park.
In 1967, in order to access federal funds available to support municipally owned parks, the Horticultural Association deeded 1200 acres of Rockwood Park to the city of Saint John. It is now overseen by a 6-member advisory board, appointed by the city, which meets monthly. In 1999 the association still manages the public gardens and campsite with the help of a financial grant from the city of Saint John.
Harriett B. Dunbrack was probably the daughter of Henry Dunbrack of Saint John, New Brunswick. She married Frank E. Holman, of Holman and Duffell, importers of wallpaper and window shades in 1892, and they had at least three children, Douglas Blythe (b. 1895), Gerda Arminel (b. 1898) who married Donald Foster in 1924 and Arthur Carleton (b.1900). Harriett Holman died sometime after 1954 and Frank E. Holman died in 1927.
Harriett was a member of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Natural History Society and secretary-treasurer from 1892. The Auxiliary was established in 1881 as an associate branch of the Natural History Society, which did not allow women as members. In 1954, at the invitation of the president of the Ladies Auxiliary, Harriett Holman gave an address about her memories of the early days of the Auxiliary.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows originated in England in the 17th century and spread to North America in the 1840s. An independent Grand Lodge of British North America existed briefly but was dissolved in the 1850s when Canadian lodges came under the control of the Grand Lodge in the United States.
The order is an international fraternal organization which requires of members a belief in a supreme being and the duties of visiting the sick, relieving the distressed, burying the dead, and educating the orphans. Applicants for membership must be over 18 years of age, loyal to their country, and recommended by a current member in good standing.
It is unknown exactly when the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) began in Saint John, New Brunswick, but it was active there by 1871. The meeting hall was located on Germain Street in uptown Saint John. The I.O.O.F. played a significant role in relief efforts after the Great Fire of Saint John, in June 1877, by raising over $4000 through lodges across Canada and the United States. This organization also donated 4 cases of clothing to victims who lost all possessions in the fire. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows lost its meeting hall in the fire. They remained active in Saint John until at least 1985.