- CA GMA MG23
- Corporate body
The Grand Manan Historical Society, Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, was formed in 1930 under the aegis of Buchanan Charles and was incorporated in 1931. In 1934, the first "Grand Manan Historian" was published by Mr. Charles and the Society as a commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the settlement of Grand Manan. When the organization re-grouped in the 1970's L.K. Ingersoll was the President for many years. Wade Reppert followed in his path for 27 years, retiring in the early 2000's. Future presidents have reduced their years of service and shared the responsibility.
The publication of the "Grand Manan Historian" became the main focus of the Society. It publishes Grand Manan related original works and republishes the many existing reports and essays concerning the Island, its fishery, its geology, its flora and fauna, and its insular way of life.
The Grand Manan Historical Society, together with the Grand Manan Museum Inc., support the Grand Manan Archives. By 2019, 29 issues of "Grand Manan Historian" have been published. The Seal Cove sandbar has been preserved as the Seal Cove Seawall National Historic Site. The Society worked to preserve the area through owning and restoring wharves surrounding the area. Upon completion of the work, the society liquidated the asset to interested parties. The creation of an art gallery for the preservation of the art of Grand Manan in the Historical Society building was accomplished and then turned over to a group of artists able to take the Gallery to the next level. Gleneta Hettrick retired as Archivist in 1998, when Ava Sturgeon filled her position. The Archives continues to receive grants from the Council of Archives of New Brunswick to pursue its work.