Showing 1954 resultsAuthority record
- CA GMA MG2
Lincoln Keith Ingersoll was born June 30, 1914 at Grand Manan, N.B.. He married Ruby Cronk and had three children. After his military tour of duty as a dentist, he returned to Grand Manan and sought many professions. He became a teacher and Principal of the Grand Manan High School. During this time he wrote of the history of Grand Manan and was instrumental in fundraising and the creation of the Grand Manan Museum directly across the street from the school where it would always be easily accessible for Grand Manan students. He was a member of the Canadian Museum Association. He held the position as Curator, Dept. of Canadian History at the New Brunswick Museum from 1969-1972. Then he moved to Fredericton where he worked extensively on the Bicentennial Commission and other historically significant projects.
He was a prolific letter writer and kept much of his correspondence with the responses back and forth so the entire story would be preserved. His held many different offices and worked in various professions while on Grand Manan and in Fredericton, including: fish plant manager, bookkeeper; Canada Savings Bond Representative; Secretary, Grand Manan Telephone company, office of the High Sheriff, Justice of the Peace; Board of Health, sub-registrar, insurance salesman, political life, Conservative Party, military life (Dental Technician Class'41), principle Grand Manan High School, Grand Manan Museum curator, writer for Royal Canadian Geographic, newspaper correspondent for many local papers. Some of his volunteer interest included: Grand Manan Historical Society - president, Grand Manan Board of Trade - president, Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League - secretary/treasurer, prospecting licence, Grand Manan High School Cadet School Leader, Boy Scouts Association leader, Genealogist and Biography writer, public speaker.
He gave lectures to many different groups for retiring school employees, public events, and specialty group functions. He was always promoting the history of Grand Manan and the importance of sharing that history with others through education and preservation. He wrote manuals and policy documents to assist with the development of these organizations. His work was recognized across the country and he gave speeches across Canada to Annual Meetings of Provincial-level organizations. Through these many careers and adventures L. Keith Ingersoll received many awards and recognition. Shortly before his death he was notified that he was the recipient of the Order of Canada. Sadly he did not live to accept this honour personally, and his son Granville, accepted the medal at the ceremonies in Ottawa. He died December 16, 1993 in Fredericton, NB. There is a large display in his memory at the Grand Manan Museum.
- CA GMA MG23
- Corporate body
The Grand Manan Historical Society, Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick, was formed in 1930 under the aegis of Buchanan Charles and was incorporated in 1931. In 1934, the first "Grand Manan Historian" was published by Mr. Charles and the Society as a commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the settlement of Grand Manan. When the organization re-grouped in the 1970's L.K. Ingersoll was the President for many years. Wade Reppert followed in his path for 27 years, retiring in the early 2000's. Future presidents have reduced their years of service and shared the responsibility.
The publication of the "Grand Manan Historian" became the main focus of the Society. It publishes Grand Manan related original works and republishes the many existing reports and essays concerning the Island, its fishery, its geology, its flora and fauna, and its insular way of life.
The Grand Manan Historical Society, together with the Grand Manan Museum Inc., support the Grand Manan Archives. By 2019, 29 issues of "Grand Manan Historian" have been published. The Seal Cove sandbar has been preserved as the Seal Cove Seawall National Historic Site. The Society worked to preserve the area through owning and restoring wharves surrounding the area. Upon completion of the work, the society liquidated the asset to interested parties. The creation of an art gallery for the preservation of the art of Grand Manan in the Historical Society building was accomplished and then turned over to a group of artists able to take the Gallery to the next level. Gleneta Hettrick retired as Archivist in 1998, when Ava Sturgeon filled her position. The Archives continues to receive grants from the Council of Archives of New Brunswick to pursue its work.
- Details of Eunice's life are included in the research notes created by Natalie Urquhart, a relative of Eunice.
Eunice Lenora Ingersoll was born 21 August 1878 to James and Wealtha Ingersoll, in Seal Cove, Grand Manan, NB, Canada. Eunice went to McLean Hospital, Waverly, Massachusetts, USA to study nursing. She lived and worked away from her home for a long time. Though engaged twice she never married. Eunice became ill with breast cancer and came home to live with her sister, Stella in Seal Cove. She died on December 15, 1938 and she is buried in the Old Seal Cove Cemetery with no headstone.
Walter Buck was born in Dublin Ireland December 1826. He was a Civil Engineer. He came to Canada in 1852 where he was appointed Chief Engineer of the New Brunswick & Canada Railway. From that time on he held important positions on every railroad in New Brunswick, and at the time of his death in 1881 he was provincial engineer of New Brunswick. He lived in St Andrews and was aparishman of All Saints Anglican Church. He revised the plans for All Saints Church from a stone structure to a wooden one.
Born on August 22, 1754 in Appen, Argyleshire, Scotland. Duncan McColl was 20 years old he enlisted in the British army . He arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1778 and fought in many battles being wounded on several occasions. In 1786 he started his preaching career and traveled long distances in his mission eventually settling in the St. Stephen area with his wife. He traveled to neighbouring communities to preach the gospel. In 1790 the congregation commenced building the first meeting house in the area. In 1812 Rev. Duncan McColl promoted maintaining peace and order along the St. Croix River. In 1815 he gave a Thanksgiving service in Calais for the peace that had prevailed. Mrs. McColl died in 1819. On November 28th, 1830, he preached two sermons and on December 17, 1830, Mr. McColl peacefully died at the age of 87.
Benjamin Robert Stevenson was born April 10, 1835, at Saint Andrews, Charlotte County. He was the son of Robert Stevenson and his wife, Christine G. Milliken. His grandfather, Robert Stevenson, came to Saint Andrews from Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1819.
James McLeod (1852-1929) was born in St. George, New Brunswick. In the early 1870s he married Nettie (Gates?) who died in 1941. He was a master mariner with Scammell Brothers in Saint John and other shipping companies. Scammell Brothers, a firm of merchants and shipping agents was made up of Joseph H., Walter and Charles H. Scammell.
George McKenzie came to New Brunswick as a child with his parents, Neil McKenzie and Sophia Morrison. They arrived in a large group from Sutherland in the North of Scotland in 1803. The original intention had been to settle in Carolina, on their arrival in Boston they learned that yellow fever was prevalent there, so they sought another location. They finally came to St. Andrews but found no land available and turned away, but were brought back by the Magistrates of St. Andrews who found land for them in the Parish of St. James at what became known as Scotch Ridge. Friends and relatives subsequently came from Scotland and settled in the same neighborhood, also at Basswood Ridge and Pomeroy Ridge. They were mainly employed in farming but no doubt some also engaged in lumbering.
There were already Scottish settlements on the Digdeguash River in St. Patrick and also in the parishes of St. Andrews and St. George as well and a considerable number of Scots living in the Town of St. Andrews, so it was not difficult for those who chose not to remain in St. James to find congenial company elsewhere. It would seem that Neil McKenzie preferred to be near the sea and in 1807 he purchased land on the Mascarene peninsula which was largely settled by men who had served in the 74th Highland Regiment at Penobscot. It may have been he who built the tidal mill which was operated on the property for many years. Other people from the north of Scotland came to the same area and they named their neighborhood Caithness. At one time this was a thriving community but it has now almost completely disappeared.
The tidal mill, if then in operation, was taken over by Neil McKenzie's eldest son George McKenzie, who inherited the property. George's wife, Albenia Morrison, was his first cousin, and her brother George lived with them throughout their married life. At various times George had in addition to the mill, a large store, a shipyard and later a brickworks. George McKenzie died on 16 August 1883 at the age of 88 years. His son Hector died on 22 January 1890. At that time it was stated that the latter had held a number of offices of public importance and was "noted for honesty, integrity and kindness of heart." Annie and one son survived him.
Edward Maxwell was a Canadian architect. The son of Edward John Maxwell, a lumber dealer in Montreal, by his marriage to Johan MacBean, Maxwell graduated from the High School of Montreal at the age of fourteen and was apprenticed to the firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge at Boston. In 1891 the firm was instructed to design a new building for the Montreal Board of Trade, and Maxwell returned home to Montreal to supervise its construction, helped by having good relations with influential members of the Board. In 1892, the jeweller Henry Birks hired him to design a new shop in Phillips Square. Maxwell also designed several stations and hotels for the Canadian Pacific Railway, including the West Vancouver station and the McAdam station. In 1899 Edward was summoned to Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, by Sir William Van Horne, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, to assist with architectural work on his summer home 'Covenhoven' on Minister's Island. In 1899, Edward Maxwell bought the Bar Road land and built a modest summer house, which he named "Tillietudlem", an homage to his Scottish heritage.