Showing 1868 results

Authority record

Biggs family (Fredericton)

  • MS119
  • Family
  • 1821-1884

Charles H Biggs, born 1 March 1821, married Frances A. Huestis (8 Jan 1830 – 3 Apr 1904) on 8 Jan 1850. They resided at Regent & Brunswick Sts., Fredericton and Charles was employed as a carpenter. He died on 24 Jan 1885 (his marker in Fredericton Rural Cemetery shows 10 Jan 1884).

Atherton, Benjamin

  • MS12
  • Person
  • 1736-1816

Benjamin Atherton was born December 9, 1736, at Lancaster, Massachusetts. As a young man, he enlisted in the British Army, sailed from Boston in 1755 on the sloop "Victoria", and served for a year in Nova Scotia under Colonel Winslow. According to Lilian Maxwell's History of Central New Brunswick, Lieutenant Benjamin Atherton took part in the expulsion of the Acadians.
In 1769, Atherton arrived in Saint John and became a fur trader with the firm of Simonds, Hazen, and White of Portland Point. Atherton was placed as manager of a truck-house at St. Anne's Point, in competition with John Anderson, who was established at the mouth of the Nashwaak River. He refused to join the rebel movement in Maugerville during the American Revolution. After the War, he served as Clerk of the Peace, Registrar, and later coroner for Sunbury County. In 1788, Governor Carleton purchased land from Atherton as part of the property for Government House--land that Atherton had owned for almost twenty years. Atherton died July 17, 1816, at Prince William, York County.

Grant, Harry M.

  • MS121
  • Person
  • 1964-1968

Harry Grant was a local historian who with his sister-in-law Evelyn Grant (1913-2007) published, “The Vanished Village,” a small book portraying life in Jewett’s Mill – a village that was founded by Daniel Jewett in the early 1800s and destroyed in 1967 by the rising waters of the Mactaquac Hydro Development. Grant is also co-author of “On the Ridge”, a genealogy and local history of Keswick Ridge.

Barrett, George John

  • MS123
  • Person
  • 1876-1953

George John Barrett (son of Peter Barrett and Horteuse Langille) was born in Springhill, Nova Scotia on 21 March 1876 and died 28 December 1953, Saint John, New Brunswick. His death certificate lists him as a watchmaker. His wife, Irene Peers Langille (daughter of Christopher Langille and Lucinda Martin,)was born in River John, Nova Scotia on 24 May 1881 and died 4 February 1962, Saint John, New Brunswick. By 1901, the family had moved to Fredericton and is recorded in the census with their daughter Margaret (1900-1998), George’s sister Margaret (born 1881) and two boarders, Edgar Langille (born 1877) and Banford Langille (born 1883). The 1901 census identifies George as a bicycle maker. By the 1911 census, the family had moved to Saint John.

Margaret married Clarence B. Beatteay and lived in Saint John West. The couple had two daughters Beryl and Elizabeth.

Morrison family (Saint John)

  • MS124
  • Family
  • 1820-1941

John A. Morrison (c 1820 – 28 May 1893) and his brother William emigrated from Belfast Ireland to St. John, New Brunswick in Sep 1843 and very shortly opened a Dry Goods Store. The business propered and John married Lucy Ann Everett (1823 – 11 July 1893), daughter of Thomas Carleton and Mary (Camber) Everett on 16 Dec 1846. Although initially expanding the business failed in 1859 and John purchased a mill and property from George Morisey in Fredericton and the family moved here in May 1860. The family consisted of five boys: Thomas “Tom” Everett (1852-), William “Willie” Parks (1854), John “Jack” Alexander (1856 – 22 Sep 1925), Frank Inches (9 Nov 1857-19 Oct 1909); Julius “Jules” Inches (1859-1933) and Stewart Luke (1861-1941). The lumber mill, which soon became known as the Phoenix Mill, was destroyed by fire on three occasions: 19 Aug 1860, 11 May 1872 and 14 Oct 1885 but John was able to rebuild and expand after each unfortunate happening. Jack went to work for his father and carried it on after his father’s death. He was also involved with log cutting operations on the upper St. John River and lived in the family home after his parents died with his wife Kate and two sons, Guy and Roy.

Ward, Amelia Sarah

  • MS126
  • Person
  • 1896-1987

Amelia Sarah Ward (4 January 1896 – 10 February 1987) came from a farming family in Burton, New Brunswick. She met her husband, William Blain, who was an engineer with the Dominion Bridge Co. working on engineering projects throughout eastern Canada, at the Stocker’s Hotel in Oromocto, New Brunswick and they married.

Coombes, Arthur Wilfred

  • MS128
  • Person
  • 1877-1954

Arthur Wilfred Coombes (26 Jan 1877 – 1954) was a native of Gibson (South Devon) and enlisted to serve in the Boer War but stayed in the area while using his medical knowledge to assist the medical corps at the temporary hospital that was set up at the Lieutenant Governor’s residence from 1898 to 1901. Afterwards he established a drug store at 79-81 St. Mary’s St. His wife, Alice, died of tuberculosis in 1929. A few years after this Wilfred turned the drug store business over to his former technician, Bill Laskey and became more active in community and political activities than he had been. He was mayor of Devon from 1932-35 and 1941-1945 amongst other civic endeavours.

Hatt, John T. Gibson

  • MS129
  • Person
  • 1857-1918

John Hatt was the son of Charles Hatt (1857-1918) and Annie (Gibson) Hatt (1863-1936). Charles, the son-in-law of Alexander Gibson, was Superintendent of the Marysville Cotton Mill and later mayor of Marysville. John was a horseman and worked at many race tracks in the USA.

Fowler, Augustus

  • MS13
  • Person
  • 1899-1902

Augustus Fowler was born 6 October 1868 (1871 on Military Attestation papers) in England. He married Rose Elizabeth (last name unknown) on 28 December 1904 in Maidstone, Kent, England. He served in South Africa with the Imperial Army before moving. By 1911, they had three sons, Eric George (1904, England), John Augustus (1907, England) and Ronald (1911). Arthur Fowler, Augustus’s nephew, was living with the family at the time that the census was taken. Ralph Gordon Fowler was born in 1913. At one time, the family lived on Needham Street in Fredericton.

Augustus joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force in June 1915 landing in Plymouth England in August the same year. He was discharged in May 1919. Augustus died on 27 December 1932.

Hanson, Gerald George

  • MS132
  • Person
  • 1919-1970

Gerald George Hanson (9 May 1919 – 9 Sep 1970), son of John B. & Marjorie Hanson of Fredericton. He served with the 104th Anti Tank Battery, RCA, later the 7th Anti Tank Battery RCA from 15 July 1940 to 1945, Regimental # G5008, attaining the rank of Sergeant and saw service in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and NW Europe. Prior to the Second World War service he served in the militia from 1935 to 1940 and, post Second World War, he was employed by the Fredericton office of the Unemployment Insurance Commission and was a member of Branch 4 of the Royal Canadian Legion. He married Mae Alice Wasson on 7 Nov 1946 in Fredericton and is buried in the Soldier’s Plot, Fredericton Rural Cemetery.

Results 41 to 50 of 1868