The original Algonquin hotel was a massive wooden Shingle Style building built in 1889 by the St. Andrews Land Company, established in 1883. Designed by a Boston architecture firm, it contained 80 guest rooms and opened in June of that year. In 1903, the Canadian Pacific Railway company purchased the Algonquin. Under CPR ownership, the resort operated with numerous guests during the 20th century. As the majority of guests arrived at St. Andrews by passenger train, CPR built a large transfer station at the junction between the St. Andrews line and the Saint John-Montreal main line in McAdam. This station also included a large 30-room hotel on its second floor, largely built to service the patrons of the St. Andrews resort. In 1970, CPR sold The Algonquin Resort to local interests. It was then leased by the Government of New Brunswick in 1973. The property, along with adjacent golf courses and private beach at Katy's Cove was purchased entirely by the provincial government in 1984. Throughout this period of change in ownership of the property, the resort was continuously contracted to operate under and be marketed by Canadian Pacific Hotels and Resorts. In 1999, CPR purchased Fairmont Hotels and Resorts.By the late 19th century, St. Andrews had become a prominent tourist town, the Algonquin attracting many wealthy patrons. Best known for its attractions such as its saltwater baths the Algonquin pumped seawater from the Passamaquoddy Bay to the hotel. Bathtubs features four taps, two for fresh water and two for saltwater. In addition to the saltwater baths, the air offered by the Bay of Fundy, along with the local "Samson Spring" were believed to offer healing properties to guests. In 1914 the original structure burnt down and was rebuilt by Barott, Blackadder & Webster of Montreal. Large additional wings were added in the early 1990s and in the early 2010s. In 2001, Canadian Pacific Hotels and Resorts were consolidated under the Fairmont name. The hotel's guests have included heads of state and royalty, including Presidents of the United States Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson, HRH Prince Charles and Diana Princess of Wales, as well as Sir John A. Macdonald and virtually every Prime Minister of Canada since its Confederation. In late 2010, the Fairmont chain asked the government of New Brunswick for a set amount of money in order to refit the property on a large scale. After deliberation, the province took the decision in early 2011 that they would seek different management for the property other than the Fairmont chain. From 31 Dec 2011 the Fairmont web site stated that the Fairmont would no longer be managing the property, and that all Fairmont club benefits for guests would cease after that date. The hotel was sold in 2012 to New Castle Hotels and Resorts and Southwest Properties, which formed the Charlotte County Hospitality Partnership, and in 2012 underwent renovation and restoration. In 2013 the resort was reopened as a property of Marriott’s Autograph Collection making it the first Canadian hotel in the Marriott chain.