Showing 192 results

Authority record
Family

McKenzie family (Charlotte County)

  • MC5
  • Family
  • 1800?-2000?

The history of the McKenzie family is incomplete, however, after examining the collection it is evident the family was engaged in trade and embarked on various long ship voyages.

Moore - DeWolfe family

  • MC72
  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1812

John Warren Moore (1812-1893) was born at Moores Mills, New Brunswick, the son of Tristram Moore and Thankful Foster. He was a grandson of William Moore, a Loyalist and head of the Cape Ann Association from New Hampshire, who settled in Charlotte County in 1785. In 1833 he married Mary Louisa DeWolfe (1813-1890) of St. Stephen, the daughter of John DeWolfe, a descendant of Nova Scotia Loyalists, and his wife, Eliza Jane Rudolf. She had 4 brothers: John Kirkland, Thomas Moody, James, and Charles; and 2 sisters, Caroline Augusta and Eliza Jane. John and Mary Louisa Moore had 2 sons and 5 daughters.

John Moore became a well-known cabinet-maker in St. Stephen. His son, Harris, apprenticed to him and joined the business in 1870 when it became J. W. Moore and Son. John's other son, Edward, who lived on the American side of the border in Calais, also had a financial interest in the business.

Source:
Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. XII

Mundie family

  • MC728
  • Family
  • 1961-2005

Thelma Mundie was a member of the Women's Institute since 1961. Her grandmother, Jessie Cook, was a member of the Union Jack Women's Institute" (1918-1942), which was composed of the communities of DeWolfe Corner, Lynnfield and Oakhill. Thelma Mundie attended DeWolfe United Church until it closed in 1997. John Mundie was the Treasurer of the "St. Croix Christmas Tree Association." Donated scrapbook of Women's Institute material belonged to Mrs. Philliip McKay (Ella Merril) who was a family friend that grew up in Dewolfe, New Brunswick.

Ingram family (St. Andrews)

  • MC76
  • Family
  • 1800-1900

William Ingram was from Newton Abbot, Devon. He was a baker. He emigrated first to Boston where he married Mary (surname unknown). They moved to St Andrews where his father Charles Ingram, a tailor settled in 1834. They seem to have had some difficulty in making a good living. Mary operated the bakery after William died and also took in boarders

Bunker family (Rusagonis)

  • MS110
  • Family
  • 1826-1965

Three generations of the Bunker family of Rusagonis, New Brunswick including, Henry Bunker (1826-1885), Sherman S. Bunker (30 July 1853-2 Jan 1896)
and Zellan S. Bunker (1893-1965).

Biggs family (Fredericton)

  • MS119
  • Family
  • 1821-1884

Charles H Biggs, born 1 March 1821, married Frances A. Huestis (8 Jan 1830 – 3 Apr 1904) on 8 Jan 1850. They resided at Regent & Brunswick Sts., Fredericton and Charles was employed as a carpenter. He died on 24 Jan 1885 (his marker in Fredericton Rural Cemetery shows 10 Jan 1884).

Morrison family (Saint John)

  • MS124
  • Family
  • 1820-1941

John A. Morrison (c 1820 – 28 May 1893) and his brother William emigrated from Belfast Ireland to St. John, New Brunswick in Sep 1843 and very shortly opened a Dry Goods Store. The business propered and John married Lucy Ann Everett (1823 – 11 July 1893), daughter of Thomas Carleton and Mary (Camber) Everett on 16 Dec 1846. Although initially expanding the business failed in 1859 and John purchased a mill and property from George Morisey in Fredericton and the family moved here in May 1860. The family consisted of five boys: Thomas “Tom” Everett (1852-), William “Willie” Parks (1854), John “Jack” Alexander (1856 – 22 Sep 1925), Frank Inches (9 Nov 1857-19 Oct 1909); Julius “Jules” Inches (1859-1933) and Stewart Luke (1861-1941). The lumber mill, which soon became known as the Phoenix Mill, was destroyed by fire on three occasions: 19 Aug 1860, 11 May 1872 and 14 Oct 1885 but John was able to rebuild and expand after each unfortunate happening. Jack went to work for his father and carried it on after his father’s death. He was also involved with log cutting operations on the upper St. John River and lived in the family home after his parents died with his wife Kate and two sons, Guy and Roy.

Hubbard family

  • MS138
  • Family
  • 1751-1968

William Hubbard (29 Sep 1751 – 23 Dec 1813), born at Stamford, Connecticut to Nathaniel Hubbard and Mary Quintard. He was educated as a barrister and came to New Brunswick with the Loyalists in 1783 after the American Revolution together with his two brothers, Isaac and Nathaniel, and his sister Margaret. He settled in Burton, Sunbury County. He became the registrar of deeds and wills; deputy surrogate, member of the first House of Assembly, and chief justice of the Court of Common Pleas. William married Benjamina Woodbridge Clarke (born 18 Jul 1769 at Stamford) 1 July 1790 and they had 12 children. Benjamina was the daughter of Joseph Clarke and Isabella Elizabeth Alleyne. She died on died 1 Jan 1856, He married Benjamina Woodbridge Clarke in 1 July 1790 and they had 12 children. His son Nathaniel (1798-1876) also became registrar of wills and deeds, a position he held for 50 years. He also laid out and supervised considerable mileage of the Great Roads in southwestern New Brunswick.

Children:
1) Mary Isabella Elizabeth Hubbard baptized 10 Jul 1791, d. 12 Mar 1811:
2) Margaret Ann Hubbard m. 14 May 1818 Leveret Hubbard DeVeber of Saint John, b. 1790, d. 12 Feb 1876:
3) Sarah Hannah Boies Hubbard bp. 17 Mar 1795, m. 19 Jun 1819 cousin Jacob Allan s/o Adam Allan and Mary Woodbridge Clarke:
4) Jeremiah Smith Boies Hubbard b. 1796, bp. 15 Feb 1797, d. 28 Dec 1852 at Wilmington: was adopted by William’s mother’s brother in law, Jeremiah Smith Boies a wealthy business man in Boston, MA: settled in Wilmington, Delaware:
5) Nathaniel Hubbard born 26 Jul 1798, d. 29 May 1878, m. (1st) 14 Jul 1828 Susan Maria Louisa Street born 29 Jan 1800, died 23 Aug 1847, d/o Samuel Denny Street: had three children: m. (2nd) 1849 Charlotte Hazen b. - , d. 17 Nov 1873, d/o John Hazen of Oromocto, Sunbury County: settled at Burton, NB and had three children:
6) Jane Isabella Smith Hubbard born 1799, bp. 29 Jun 1800, d. 27 Sep 1883, married Apr 1823 John Ambrose Street b. 22 Sep 1795, d. 1865, s/o Samuel Denny Street: settled in Fredericton and had eleven children:
7) Eliza Saunders Hubbard born 1802, m. 29 Jan 1820 George E. Clements:
8) Penelope Bissett or Bliss Hubbard born c1803, died 21 Mar 1880:
9) William Dudley Woodbridge Hubbard b. 1805, m. 19 May 1835 Frances Lydia Peters, third d/o James Peters of Portland Parish, Saint John:
10) Benjamina Ann Clarke Hubbard born 1807, d. Feb 1902:
11) Hetty or Mehitabel Lucretia Clarke Hubbard born 18 Oct 1809, d. 17 Nov 1860:
12) Mary Isabella Elizabeth Hubbard b. 24 Apr 1812, d. 17 Jan 1889.

Dora Louisa Hubbard (1882-1968), who after receiving her schooling in Burton attended the Newtown Hospital School in Massachusetts, graduating in 1914 as a registered nurse and she continued to nurse in the Newtown Hospital. She went overseas in June 1916 serving until June 1917. Continuing her WW I service she then served with the American Red Cross until 1918. After the war she did private nursing in Boston until 1940, when she moved to Montreal, until 1953 when she retired and returned to Fredericton. In addition to Dora's records there is an item pertaining to Nathaniel Hubbard and an item pertaining to Belmont House of R.D. Wilmot.

Wolhaupter Family

  • MS16
  • Family
  • 1771-1949

John Wolhaupter was born in 1771 in New York, and became a watchmaker, clockmaker and silversmith. He married Mary Payne Aycrigg in 1795. Because of their loyalist sympathies, their property was confiscated during the revolution and they came to New Brunswick sometime between 1795 and 1799. Wolhaupter set up a jewellery and clock making shop in St. John and became known as a silversmith. The family moved to Fredericton circa 1811, opened another shop, and 1825 the business was transferred to the oldest son, Benjamin, who was born in 1800.

Benjamin Wolhaupter married Catherine Brannen in 1820. He built a house at 79 Church Street, which was later sold to Bishop Medley and became known as Bishopscote. Wolhaupter served as Magistrate of York County; he was involved in the militia; and served as a Director of the Commercial Bank of New Brunswick. In 1847, he became Sheriff of York County and held that position until his death in 1857. Benjamin and Catherine Wolhaupter left three sons: James, Charles, and George.

James Matther Wolhaupter was born in 1823, became a physician; practiced in Portland, Maine, and died in 1891.

Charles John Wolhaupter was born in 1825, became a teacher; lived in Australia for seven years; returned to New Brunswick and was drowned in 1858.

George Philip Wolhaupter was born in 1827; worked as a clerk in the Surveyor-General's office; and 1854 graduated in engineering from King's College, Fredericton. He served as organist and choir master at Christ Church Cathedral and was known for his collection of wildflowers and his skill in decorating programs for the Cathedral services. In 1858, he married Harriett Amelia Carman. Their son, Benjamin, was born in 1859. When George died in 1860, his wife and son moved to Sarnia, Ontario. Benjamin Wolhaupter possessed great mechanical ability, and ultimately became an engineer who specialized in railroad tracks. He took out 215 patents for inventions, and was a successful manufacturer and businessman. He died in Norwalk, Connecticut, in 1949.

Results 1 to 10 of 192