Affichage de 192 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Famille

Aubut (famille)

  • Famille
  • 1942 - 1970

Le fonds d'archives de la famille Aubut fut constitué à partir de la documentation amassée par Ida Lavoie Aubut depuis le deuxième guerre mondial jusqu'à la fin des années 1970. La partie qui touche à la guerre témoigne de la participation de Morel Aubut, son mari, au conflit en tant que membre des Forces Armées régulières canadiennes participantes à la campagne des armées Alliées en Belgique durant l'année 1942. Le couple Aubut-Lavoie c'est uni dans le mariage le 7 octobre 1940 à la paroisse Notre-Dame-Des-Sept-Douleurs d'Edmundston. Le couple eut un seul enfant, soit Roger né, le 20 janvier 1942. Morel Aubut est né le 7 août 1913. C'est au tout début de la guerre en 1940 qu'il s'enrôla dans les Forces Armées. Il fut envoyé en Angleterre et delà au front en Belgique durant 10 mois en 1942. En 1944, Morel Aubut a reçu son congé de service dû à un traumatisme et il revient au Canada. De retour à la vie civile, Morel pratique et enseigne la photographie à Edmundston et il est aussi membre fondateur d'un club de tir d'armes à feu. Morel Aubut décède le 27 septembre 1977 à Edmundston et son épouse Ida Lavoie, le 28 mars 1983.

Brun, Donald et Lorette

  • Famille
  • 1933 -

Donald Brun est né à Cap-Pelé (Nouveau-Brunswick), le 14 octobre 1933, fils d'Émile Brun et d'Euphémie Cormier. Il a épousé Lorette Cormier de Saint-Paul-de-Kent (N.-B.). Le couple réside à Cocagne (N.-B.).

Confederation of Regions

  • Famille
  • 1988 -

Le parti Confederation of Regions (COR) a vu le jour au Nouveau-Brunswick en 1988 au lendemain des élections fédérales qui vit naître plusieurs partis d'extrême droite à travers le pays. Parti anti-francophone et anti-bilinguisme il trouva la majorité de ses adeptes parmi la population anglophone qui traditionnellement votait pour le parti Conservateur mais rejeta ce dernier pour ses projets d'implanter plus de services en français dans la fonction publique néo-brunswickoise.

Les Acadiens de Poitou

  • Famille
  • ca. 1773 -

C'est du Poitou d'où sont partis, avec des familles de l'Anjou, de l'Aunis et de la Saintonge, la plupart de ceux qui ont colonisé l'Acadie de 1632 à 1671. Lors du Grand Dérangement en 1755, des centaines de leurs descendants ont été déportés en France et à la suite du traité de Paris en 1763, les Acadiens qui avaient été déportés en Angleterre ont été à leur tour, rapatriés en France. Le gouvernement de Louis XV se préoccupa alors de les établir dans le royaume. En 1773 et 1774, certains de ceux-ci ont été établis au Poitou.

Violette (famille)

  • Famille

Albénie J. Violette, the son of Sarah Levasseur and Germain Violette, was born at St. Léonard, Madawaska County, New Brunswick on 6 October 1873. On 16 April 1894 he married Marie Annie Akerley (Memery, Mamary), and they had no fewer than 11 children, including Marie Blanche Hélène, Frederick Henry, Mary Edna, Charles Dollard, Léonard G., and Émile. A. J. Violette lived briefly in the state of Maine, but lived most of his life in the parish of St. Léonard. Prominent in the community, he owned and operated a number of businesses -- S. J. Violette Woodworking Factory, The Brunswick Hotel, St. Léonard Brick Yard, St. Léonard's Fox Farm, The Hammond hotel (Van Buren, Maine), Martin & Violette (general store), and A. J. Violette car dealership. During the Prohibition years, he ran a lucrative rum-running, moonshine, and bootlegging business that crossed provincial and international lines. Several of his children were involved in these illegal enterprises. A. J. was a prominent member of the Progressive Conservative Party for many years. He died on 24 April 1928. A. J. Violette's sons, Émile F. and Leonard G., both served overseas during the Great War. Émile was with the Second Divisional Signaling Company, Second Canadian Division in France. Following his return to Canada in 1916, he was appointed Special Recruiting Officer for Madawaska County. Later he moved to the United States, residing in Portland and Presque Isle, Maine and in Berlin, New Hampshire where he was manager of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company. In addition to his overseas service in the First World War, brother Léonard acted as Civilian Recruiting Advisor for Madawaska County in the 1940s. He was also a member of the Edmundston branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. Like his father, Léonard was involved in a number of enterprises. He operated Len's Service & Filling Station, the Hotel Brunswick, and was involved in the rum-running operation and probably the car dealership. Source: When Rum was King by B. J. Grant, 1984.

Keay family

  • Famille
  • 1868- 1950

These are papers of Edythe Keay (mother of the donor), who was an active member of the Music Art and Drama Club ( M.A.D. club) of St. Andrews.

Rev. Peter Keay was inducted as the pastor of the Greenock Presbyterian Church in St. Andrews NB in 1868. He had preached in Scotland from 1851 until he received an appointment from the Colonial Committee to preach in New Brunswick in 1854. He was ordained at Fredericton and preached in the Stanley Area, New Brunswick for fourteen years and laboured in St. Andrews for six years. In December of 1873 he was given a leave of absence to recuperate his health. While in McAdam New Brunswick waiting for a train he fell of the station’s platform and was killed instantly by an oncoming train at the age of 45 years. He was held in high esteem throughout New Brunswick and Scotland and his funeral was the largest that the town of St. Andrews had ever seen at that point in history.
The Keay family lived in the house built by Donald Morrison in 1827. Mr Morrison born in 1791, came from Rosshire, Scotland,he had moved to Boston, America, in the early part of the 19th century and then moved to St Andrews, New Brunswick in 1820 to practise his occupation as a House carpenter.
The Keay family remained in the home from 1868 to 1950.

Smith - Robinson family

  • Famille
  • 1783-present

Mrs. George F. Smith and her three daughters of Saint John were among the early guests at the Algonquin Hotel beginning in July 1892. Her husband, George Frederick Smith had died in 1894 at age 55. His grandfather was Dr. Nathan Smith, a surgeon who sided with the King’s cause at the outbreak of the Revolutionary War and served in the 1st Battalion of De Lancey’s Brigade. After the War ended in 1781, Dr. Smith joined others from the disbanded Loyalist unit on half-pay and in 1783 settled in what is now the city of Saint John. He practiced as a physician and apothecary at Lower Cove. His only son was Thomas M. Smith, who became a partner in the firm of Johnson & Walker, ship chandlers and ship owners. When he died his own son, George F. Smith, took over the business and expanded it. He became a prominent ship owner in Saint John, he was the first to own and operate iron and steel clad steam vessels. He was an alderman of the City of Saint John, an active member of the famous Neptune Rowing Club, the Saint John Athletic Club, and the Bonaventure Salmon Club on the Bonaventure River.

George Smith married Wilhelmina Gordon of Pictou, Nova Scotia in October 1879. Her grandparents had come from Kildonan in Sutherland, Scotland to Pictou in 1816 during the Highland Clearances. George Smith made regular trips to the Port of Pictou where he became an acquaintance of the Gordon family. Eventually George and Minnie began to date and in 1879 they were married. The couple moved back to Saint John where they began a life together. They had three daughters, Constance, Amy and Madeline. After her husband’s death Wilhemina raised the girls by herself, she was greatly assisted by her husband’s fortune that she inherited on his death close to $100,000. As her children grew older she devoted herself to charitable causes.

Wilhemina became involved in the St John Anglican Church and took on leadership roles in the Ladies Society of Church Workers and the Ladies Association of Church of England Institute. She was a founding and lifelong member of the Victorian Order of Nurses in Saint John and in the early 1920s she was involved in establishing a nurses’ training school in New Brunswick. In 1903 she became involved in the Women’s Auxiliary to the Missionary Society of the Church of England, she held the positions of vice-president and president for 22 years. She was also appointed to represent the Maritime Provinces at the Canadian Dominion Board.

At the end of the First World War the Canadian government called for a conference in Ottawa of leading women’s groups from across the country to engage women in the political processes.
Process to convey how women could participate in war work. Wilhemina was one of seventy five women invited to attend. Actions from this conference were legislated including universal registration of births, protection of milk supplies, and pensions for mothers.

After staying at the Algonquin Hotel in St Andrews for the summer, in 1914-1925 she began to rent the Anchorage on Parr Street which she shared with two of her daughters and their husbands and her grandchildren. She died in 1925 in the Anchorage in the love and care of her three daughters during her last days.

Her eldest daughter Constance married Guy D. Robinson a well-known grain broker in Saint John, and later in Montreal, his firm being Robinson & Climo. Constance and Guy and their children, F. Barclay, Margaret (Peggy) De Lancey and Helen Gordon shared the Archorage with Wilhemina every summer until 1922 when they rented a house on Water Street which belonged to Mrs. T.J. Coughey, they continued to rent it for 18 years. After the Second World War Guy and Constance Robinson continued to come to St Andrews. Guy continued to come after the death of his wife in 1955 and became a familiar figure at the Algonquin where he stayed until his own death in 1960. Their daughter Margaret married Theodore Roosevelt Meighen, son of Senator Arthur Meighen on 30 June 1937. The Meighens bought the Allan A. Magee property and built The Little House and built a new all-season house on the site. Now their son Michael and his wife Kelly come each summer with their two sons Theodore and Hugh.

F. Barclay Robinson joined his father’s firm in Montreal and married Ruth Seeley. Her parents had built their own summer home on De Monts Road in 1912. Her grandfather was George Bosworth, vice-president of CPR Steamships. Barclay and Ruth had three sons, Gordon, Ian and David. After Barclay’s retirement they moved to Lunenberg, N.S.

Helen Gordon Robinson married John Kennet Starnes in 1941, and they continue to visit St Andrews.

Thomson family (Saint John)

  • Famille
  • Branch begins before 1825

John Thomson had been a ship-owner in Dumfries, Scotland, but when he emigrated to Saint John, New Brunswick, with his brothers, Robert and George, he engaged in mercantile business on Water St. until his death in 1841. John was a freeman of both Dumfries (1825) and Saint John (1836). His brother George became a shipbuildier. John Thomson and his wife, Jessie, had fourteen children. His son, William Thomson (1816-1891) was a ship broker and commission merchant, and subsequently owned a number of sailing vessels which he employed in the foreign carrying trade. He was married in 1841 to Elizabeth Rachel Scoullar (d.1883) of Saint John, a daughter of James Scoullar, another Scottish immigrant. They had seven children: Robert; John Henderson; Marion m. Allen O. Cruckshank; Annie Walker m. James F. Robertson; Alice Cameron m. Surgeon Wade; George Greig; and Andrew.

In 1870, William Thomson made a partnership with his son Robert Thomson and William C. Watson that lasted for six years. At that time William formed a new partnership, including himself and his two sons, Robert and John. By 1900, the firm had built some 14 ships and barques, three steel ships and nine steel ocean steamers. Their steamers constituted what was known as the Battle Line. William's son Robert Thomson was born on 1842. At seventeen, he became junior clerk to he office of Duncan & Kendall in Liverpool, England. In 1862 he returned to Saint John and entered his father's office. Robert was Imperial German consul and director in the Bank of New Brunswick. In 1870, he married Louisa Anne, daughter of the Rev. William Donald, pastor of St. Andrew's Church. They had four children: William S (d.1872); Percy W.; Mabel G; and Mona C. His brother John H. Thomson was born in 1848. He became vice-consul to Norway and Sweden. In 1877 he married Ella Violet, daughter of Wesley Thompson. They had two children: John R. and Muriel.

Source: Biographical Review, Province of New Brunswick, 1900

Smith - Morehouse family

  • Famille
  • 1800 - n.d.

This fonds consists of documents gathered by Judith Smith Morehouse, her family relatives, and their descendants. Richard Smith's documents pertain to his activities as a landowner and include mortgages, deeds, leases, agreements, and bonds. His estate documents include correspondence, account books, timber transactions, and receipts. All documents date between 1800-1836. Judith Smith Morehouse's materials date from 1834-1856, and include indentures, leases, bonds, record books, agreements, and family correspondence. Smith family documents, dated 1787-1835, contain legal materials and account information related to Jacob, Benjamin, John, Oliver, and Sidney Smith.

Frederick Morehouse's documents consist of bonds, indentures, mortgages, and business correspondence dating from 1826-1843. Morehouse family documents consist of legal and financial papers belonging to Charles, Daniel, George, Henry, and John Morehouse, dated 1822-1837.

The related Dibblee family's documents contain legal papers consisting of deeds, leases, business correspondence, and John Dibblee's 1856-1858 diary. Beardsley family documents contain legal, correspondence, and account information, 1834-1850. Maps show Sussex, NB; the Pacific Ocean; Westmoreland; Connell Street, NB; and the plot of land leased to Jeremiah M. Connell by Judith Smith.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 192