Showing 17 results

Authority record
Charlotte County Archives

Red Granite Company

  • MC66
  • Corporate body
  • 1860-1884

The Bay of Fundy Red Granite Company had its origin with Charles Ward. In the 1860s Ward, then living in New York, went on a fishing trip in the vicinity of St. George and became fascinated by the huge ledges of red granite to the north of the town. When he returned to New York he initiated a plan to start a company to exploit this resource. The Passamaquoddy Red Granite Company was incorporated in the State of New York in 1872 with Thomas J. Coleman of the firm of Coleman and Volk of New York City. It became necessary to incorporate in New Brunswick, which they did and at the same time changed the name to Bay of Fundy Red Granite Company. In 1884 the Bank foreclosed and an auction sale was held after which the remaining assets of the Company were sold to William Coutts and Alexander Milne, two Scotsmen, who had been employees since its inception.

Stevenson, Benjamin R.

  • MC42
  • Person
  • 1836-1890

Benjamin Robert Stevenson was born April 10, 1835, at Saint Andrews, Charlotte County. He was the son of Robert Stevenson and his wife, Christine G. Milliken. His grandfather, Robert Stevenson, came to Saint Andrews from Renfrewshire, Scotland, in 1819.

Campbell, Colin

  • MC69
  • Person
  • d. 1796

Colin Campbell of Shelburne, Nova Scotia was a collector of customs in St. Andrews, 1820.

Ludlow, David

  • MC7
  • Person
  • 1800-1900

David Ludlow of Wilson's Beach, Campobello, was the son of William and Eiliza Ludlow of Campobello. He married Adaline Wheeler of Kinsclear in 1852.

Smith, Dr Donne

  • MC646
  • Person
  • 1927-2000

All of the material in the fonds have been given to the Charlotte County Archives by Dr. Donne Smith, his wife Sandy Smith and his Children, Donne, Richard and Barbie Smith with transfer of ownership. One fond-level and a total so far of 14 series-level descriptions and inventory – will allow local and provincial researchers to have access to these important materials dealing with Dr. Donne Smiths contributions to the community, the St Andrews Arena, Lady Dunn/Beaverbrook, Sir James Dunn Academy Board of Trustees, the founding of the St Andrews Medical Centre, the Kiwanis in St Andrews and related charitable efforts of the Sir James Dunn Foundation.

Maxwell, Edward

  • MC54
  • Person
  • 1867-1923

Edward Maxwell was a Canadian architect. The son of Edward John Maxwell, a lumber dealer in Montreal, by his marriage to Johan MacBean, Maxwell graduated from the High School of Montreal at the age of fourteen and was apprenticed to the firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge at Boston. In 1891 the firm was instructed to design a new building for the Montreal Board of Trade, and Maxwell returned home to Montreal to supervise its construction, helped by having good relations with influential members of the Board. In 1892, the jeweller Henry Birks hired him to design a new shop in Phillips Square. Maxwell also designed several stations and hotels for the Canadian Pacific Railway, including the West Vancouver station and the McAdam station. In 1899 Edward was summoned to Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, by Sir William Van Horne, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, to assist with architectural work on his summer home 'Covenhoven' on Minister's Island. In 1899, Edward Maxwell bought the Bar Road land and built a modest summer house, which he named "Tillietudlem", an homage to his Scottish heritage.

McLeod, James

  • MC49
  • Person
  • 1852-1929

James McLeod (1852-1929) was born in St. George, New Brunswick. In the early 1870s he married Nettie (Gates?) who died in 1941. He was a master mariner with Scammell Brothers in Saint John and other shipping companies. Scammell Brothers, a firm of merchants and shipping agents was made up of Joseph H., Walter and Charles H. Scammell.

Aymer, John

  • MC75
  • Person
  • 1800-1900

John Aymer of St. Andrews petitioned the Provincial Assembly for the privilege of building a water system for St. Andrews. This was granted by an act of the Assembly, renewed in 1845 and extended to 1860. However the company was not incorporated until 12 April 1861 by Benjamin F. Milliken, John Aymer, James W. Chandler, John Bradford, Wellington Hatch, and William Kerr. Benjamin R. Stevenson was president during the last days of the Company.

Results 1 to 10 of 17