Showing 18 results

Authority record
Charlotte County Archives

Pope, Zibah

  • MC71
  • Person
  • 1779-1852

Ziba Pope was born in New Brunswick in 1779 and by 1809 he owned land with Moses Vernon bought 3/8 of two parts of land on the east side of the Magadavic ajoining 2nd Falls a total of 600 acres for 1,125 pounds Cnd. currency together with the double saw mill on the western side and he is described as a merchant. On 13 May 1816 he along with others sold the landhe owned at the 2nd Falls. By that time he had settled in Randolph Vermont. He was a Quaker but he became a Baptist in 1822 and became an itinerent minister, travelling to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Maine and New Hampshire. From 1833 he moved to Lincoln, Vermont and worked as a merchant, he died of consuption 12 February 1852

McColl, Rev. Duncan

  • MC23
  • Person
  • 1754-1841

Born on August 22, 1754 in North Britain. Duncan McColl was 20 years old he enlisted in the British army . He arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1778 and fought in many sea battles being wounded on several occasions. In 1786 he started his preaching career and traveled long distances in his mission eventually settling in the St. Stephen area with his wife. He traveled to neighbouring communities to preach the gospel. In 1790 the congregation commenced building the first meeting house in the area. In 1812 Rev. Duncan McColl promoted maintaining peace and order along the St. Croix River. In 1815 he gave a Thanksgiving service in Calais for the peace that had prevailed. Mrs. McColl died in 1819. On December 17 1819, Mr. McColl preached his final sermon. He died at the age of 87.

Cockburn, Melville N.

  • MC74
  • Person
  • 1860-1928

Melville N. Cockburn began his career in law in 1883 with an appointment as deputy sheriff of Charlotte County. From that time until his death in 1928, he held several positions as an officer of the courts, including clerk of the circuit court, registrar of probates, judge of probates and Queen's counsel. He moved his practice office to St. Stephen in 1917, but retained his office in St. Andrews until 1919. After that time his office files were stored in the attic of St. Mark's Lodge, where they remained until 1975.

Aymer, John

  • MC75
  • Person
  • 1800-1900

John Aymer of St. Andrews petitioned the Provincial Assembly for the privilege of building a water system for St. Andrews. This was granted by an act of the Assembly, renewed in 1845 and extended to 1860. However the company was not incorporated until 12 April 1861 by Benjamin F. Milliken, John Aymer, James W. Chandler, John Bradford, Wellington Hatch, and William Kerr. Benjamin R. Stevenson was president during the last days of the Company.

McLeod, James

  • MC49
  • Person
  • 1852-1929

James McLeod (1852-1929) was born in St. George, New Brunswick. In the early 1870s he married Nettie (Gates?) who died in 1941. He was a master mariner with Scammell Brothers in Saint John and other shipping companies. Scammell Brothers, a firm of merchants and shipping agents was made up of Joseph H., Walter and Charles H. Scammell.

Maxwell, Edward

  • MC54
  • Person
  • 1867-1923

Edward Maxwell was a Canadian architect. The son of Edward John Maxwell, a lumber dealer in Montreal, by his marriage to Johan MacBean, Maxwell graduated from the High School of Montreal at the age of fourteen and was apprenticed to the firm of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge at Boston. In 1891 the firm was instructed to design a new building for the Montreal Board of Trade, and Maxwell returned home to Montreal to supervise its construction, helped by having good relations with influential members of the Board. In 1892, the jeweller Henry Birks hired him to design a new shop in Phillips Square. Maxwell also designed several stations and hotels for the Canadian Pacific Railway, including the West Vancouver station and the McAdam station. In 1899 Edward was summoned to Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, by Sir William Van Horne, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, to assist with architectural work on his summer home 'Covenhoven' on Minister's Island. In 1899, Edward Maxwell bought the Bar Road land and built a modest summer house, which he named "Tillietudlem", an homage to his Scottish heritage.

Smith, Dr Donne

  • MC646
  • Person
  • 1927-2000

All of the material in the fonds have been given to the Charlotte County Archives by Dr. Donne Smith, his wife Sandy Smith and his Children, Donne, Richard and Barbie Smith with transfer of ownership. One fond-level and a total so far of 14 series-level descriptions and inventory – will allow local and provincial researchers to have access to these important materials dealing with Dr. Donne Smiths contributions to the community, the St Andrews Arena, Lady Dunn/Beaverbrook, Sir James Dunn Academy Board of Trustees, the founding of the St Andrews Medical Centre, the Kiwanis in St Andrews and related charitable efforts of the Sir James Dunn Foundation.

Results 1 to 10 of 18