Showing 20 results

Authority record
Charlotte County Archives

Atlantic Policy Congress of First Nation Chiefs Secretariat

  • Corporate body
  • 1995 -

The APC Secretariat is an advocate for speaking with one voice on behalf of First Nations communities. Through research and analysis, they develop and table policy alternatives for matters affecting First Nations communities in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, and Maine, USA.

Atlantic Policy Congress (APC) of First Nations Chiefs Secretariat, was federally incorporated in 1995 and is a policy research and advocacy Secretariat for 32 Mi’kmaq, Maliseet, Passamaquoddy and Innu Chiefs, Nations and Communities. APC is governed by a board of directors comprised of the Chiefs.

With the support of the First Nation communities in Atlantic Canada, APC Secretariat follows a relationship vision that concentrates on partnership and cooperation, government to government relationships, dialogue and education, quality of life, and self-determination in First Nations Communities. In order to accomplish this, APC works closely with community members and leadership to get direction by providing all information in order that communities can make informed decisions.

Aymer, John

  • MC75
  • Person
  • 1800-1900

John Aymer of St. Andrews petitioned the Provincial Assembly for the privilege of building a water system for St. Andrews. This was granted by an act of the Assembly, renewed in 1845 and extended to 1860. However the company was not incorporated until 12 April 1861 by Benjamin F. Milliken, John Aymer, James W. Chandler, John Bradford, Wellington Hatch, and William Kerr. Benjamin R. Stevenson was president during the last days of the Company.

Campbell, Colin

  • MC69
  • Person
  • d. 1796

A number of Loyalist settlers were named Colin Campbell, but it seems likely that this fonds was created by the Colin Campbell who was the eldest son of the Reverend Colin Campbell, Sr., Rector of Burlington, New Jersey, who arrived in New Brunswick at the end of the American Revolutionary War. Colin Campbell, Jr. was a barrister-at-law at Saint John, N.B., the first clerk of the Crown in the newly-created province of New Brunswick, and the registrar of the Court of Vice Admiralty. In 1781 he married Abigail M. Seabury (d. 1804), a daughter of the Rev. Samuel Seabury, later Bishop of Connecticut. Colin Campbell died on 11 July 1796 at Maugerville, Sunbury County, survived by his wife and two daughters, Maria (Tredwell) and Jane. A daughter Ann Sophia and an infant son predeceased him in 1788 and 1792 respectively.

Charlotte County Gaol

  • Corporate body
  • 1786-1979

The first gaol for all of Charlotte County was built on Water Street in 1786 near the current town hall. It was a two storey wooden building with the courthouse on the upper floor and the prison of four cells on the ground floor. The floor was a dirt floor, and the prisoners would dig their way to freedom and escape across the river. The first escape occurred in 1787. At the time, the Sheriff was responsible for the value of whatever the escapees had stolen. In 1828 the Sherriff was sued for allowing so many escapes to occur, and because the escapes continued to occur, it was decided in 1816 to rebuild the gaol. In 1826 an act was passed authorizing the magistrates of the County to sell the gaol and erect a more suitable building for the prisoners as the old one was poorly kept and the County felt it wass too unclean for prisoners. The original building (the gaol and courthouse) was sold to the town of St Andrews in 1831 for one hundred pounds. It was converted into a town hall upstairs and a market downstairs until it burned in 1872. The 1830s were a very prosperous time for St Andrews because of the shipping industry so the County decided to build a new gaol. This time it was to be on a hill where it could stand out as a symbol of its importance. The courthouse was built a few years later. Not long after the courthouse was finished, the period of prosperity ended. The cornerstone of the new gaol was laid in 1831 (engraved in the granite stone outside above the gaol door). The first inmates arrived in 1834. The gaol continued to be used as a jail until 1979. In 1982 it became the residence of the Charlotte County Archives.

Cockburn, Melville N.

  • MC74
  • Person
  • 1860-1928

Melville N. Cockburn began his career in law in 1883 with an appointment as deputy sheriff of Charlotte County. From that time until his death in 1928, he held several positions as an officer of the courts, including clerk of the circuit court, registrar of probates, judge of probates and Queen's counsel. He moved his practice office to St. Stephen in 1917, but retained his office in St. Andrews until 1919. After that time his office files were stored in the attic of St. Mark's Lodge, where they remained until 1975.

Grimmer family

  • MS19
  • Family
  • 1827 - 1974

Genealogical chart of descendants of Thomas Grimmer of St. Stephen, NB. The Grimmers were originally a St. Stephen family. The St. Andrews and Chamcook branches are descendants of George Skiffington Grimmer, a grandson of Thomas Grimmer who came as a member of the Port Matoon Association. The papers relate mainly to F. Hazen Grimmer, George S. Grimmer, Frank Howard Grimmer, George Durrell Grimmer, John Davidson Grimmer, J. W. Grimmer, John Grimmer, Thomas Grimmer,

Ingram family (St. Andrews)

  • MC76
  • Family
  • 1800-1900

William Ingram was from Newton Abbot, Devon. He was a baker. He emigrated first to Boston where he married Mary (surname unknown). They moved to St Andrews where his father Charles Ingram, a tailor settled in 1834. They seem to have had some difficulty in making a good living. Mary operated the bakery after William died and also took in boarders

Ludlow, David

  • MC7
  • Person
  • 1800-1900

David Ludlow of Wilson's Beach, Campobello, was the son of William and Eiliza Ludlow of Campobello. He married Adaline Wheeler of Kinsclear in 1852.

Results 1 to 10 of 20