Affichage de 138 résultats

Notice d'autorité
8th Hussars Museum

104th Battalion

  • Collectivité
  • 1888-1917

The 104th Battalion, CEF, was an infantry battalion of the Great War Canadian Expeditionary Force. The 104th Battalion was authorized on 22 December 1915 and embarked for Britain on 28 June 1916, where, on 18 July 1916, its personnel were absorbed by the 17th Reserve Battalion, CEF and the 32nd Battalion, CEF, to provide reinforcements for the Canadian Corps in the field. The battalion disbanded on 27 July 1918.[1] The 104th Battalion recruited throughout New Brunswick and was mobilized at Sussex.[2] The 104th Battalion was commanded by Lt.-Col. G.W. Fowler from 28 June 1916 to 22 January 1917 and by Lt.-Col. A.E. Mings from 22 January 1917 to 2 March 1918.[3] The 104th Battalion was awarded the battle honour THE GREAT WAR 1916-18.[4] The 104th Battalion, CEF is perpetuated by The Royal New Brunswick Regiment.

5th Armoured Regiment

  • Collectivité
  • 1940-1947

The Second World War was the first time the Hussars left Canadian shores as a Regiment. In July 1940, the Regiment was mobilized to form the 4th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment. In February 1941, the Canadian Army converted the Hussars to armour and became the 5th Armoured Regiment. The Regiment sailed for England at the end of August, 1941 and was stationed in England until November, 1943 when it sailed for Africa. The Regiment later sailed to Italy and landed in Naples in December. The Regiment fought through Italy, winning battle honours until February, 1944 when it sailed to France to begin the journey to the campaigns in Belgium and Holland. It was in Italy that the first Princess Louise, the original Regimental mascot

8th Princess Louise NB Hussars

  • Collectivité
  • 1848 - present

The 8th Princess Louise (NB) Hussars or 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) can trace its roots to 4 April 1848, when the New Brunswick Regiment of Yoemanry Calvary was formed. A more tenuous link exists, however, to 1775, when Lieutenant-Colonel John Saunders formed "Saunders Horse" to fight American rebels during the American Revolutionary War. This troop was probably disbanded in New Brunswick about 1783, the year that thousands of Loyalists or Americans who supported the British side during the revolution sailed for Nova Scotia. Many settled in the St. John River and Kennebecasis River valleys and elsewhere. In 1825, from among these disbanded troops, calvary units were formed, one being attached to each local infantry battalion. By 1848, 11 of these units joined together to form the New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry. Over subsequent years the troops were reorganized several times.

In 1884, Govenor General John Campbell's wife, Princess Louise, the eldest daughter of Queen Victoria, honoured the Regiment with her name, and it became the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry. The name changed, in 1892, to 8th Prince Louise's New Brunswick Hussars. During the World War I, the Hussars did not serve officially overseas. Instead, a Hussars squardron was supplied to the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles and many individual members of the regiment joined other Canadian units serving overseas.

During World War II, the Hussars served overseas as a formed unit, being stationed first in England, then North Africa, and finally in Italy. In 1940, the Hussars were formed into the 4th Canadian Motorcycle Regiment. The regiment moved from France to Belgium in 1945, and lastly to Holland where, at Delfziji, approximately 3,000 Axis troops surrendered to them.

Returning to Canada, the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Hussars reverted to reserve status. In the early 1950s, the regiment contributed men to "Y" troop, the special force that Canada sent to Korea, in 1951, to serve as part of NATO's brigade in Germany. In 1957, formation of the Regular Regiment bought a change in name, the regular regiment being designated the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise) and the Militia Regiment taking the same title with the word "militia" being added. The following year, the regiment's Reconnaissance Squadron left Canada to serve with the UN Expeditionary Force in Suez where it remained for a year. The regular regiment is now stationed at Camp Petawawa. Ontario. The militia remains in New Brunswick.

After WWII, the 8th Princess Louise's reverted to a reserve regiment. In 1950, a number of personnel were provided to the Special Force which proceeded to Korea in May 1951. Early in 1957, when it was decided that a new regular armoured regiment should be formed, the honour was bestowed upon the 8th Princess Louise's NB Hussars as a result of their outstanding previous history. In 1958, part of the Regiment left Canada to serve with the United Nations Emergency Force in the Gaza Strip where it remained for a year. In 1959 the Hussars sailed to Germany for a three year tour of duty with the 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade. In 1963, when they returned from Germany, the Regiment took up residence in CFB Petawawa, and the Militia (Reserve) Regiment stayed at its home station in Moncton, New Brunswick. In 1964 the Hussars left the tanks and converted to a reconnaissance regiment.

8th Regiment of Cavalry

  • Collectivité
  • 1848-1914

The 8th Canadian Hussars was formed on April 4th, 1848 as the New Brunswick Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry, from eleven independent troops of Cavalry. The first of these was raised in 1825 from descendants of the Loyalists who settled the St. John and Kennebecasis river valleys.

Agricultural Museum (NB)

  • Personne
  • 1986 - present

The Agriculture Museum came about when members of the agricultural field in New Brunswick decided to showcase the long tradition of farm inning in the Province. They are dedicated to showcasing farming prior to the 1970's. They have one of the largest collection of agricultural artefacts in the Maritimes. The Museum grounds is housed where the Tank Hangers used to be in Camp Sussex. On the grounds there is a CN Train station as well as a Blacksmith's workshop. The Museum is open June to August. Guided tours are available.

Alward, David

  • Personne
  • 1946 - 1965

Photographs were from David Alward father Ford's training with the 8th Canadian Hussars from 1950-1951. He joined the Hussars in October 1946 with others from Havelock, New Brunswick and was a private with "A" troop. Each summer David's father went to Camp Petawawa to train on actual tanks. In the late 1940s he was promoted to Lance Corporal and then Corporal. From 1948-1949 he went to Business College. During this time David's father was asked to take over the Havelock troop thus becoming a 2nd Lieutenant. From November 1950 to May 1951 he was in Camp Borden to train to become a Troop Commander. While at Camp Border he traveled to Camp Meaford to train with live ammunition. When David's father completed the course he was promoted to First Lieutenant. In 1952 he attended Gordon College and in 1956-1957 he attended the Ontario Agricultural College

Association

  • Collectivité
  • 1973-

The Association was formed by a Letters Patent on February 16th, 1973. Prior to that date there were 3 distinct groups: the regular Regiment, the militia Regiment and the Old Comrades from WWII. The aim was to take the three groups and incorporate them under one Association; the Association then is responsible for the activities of the Regimental family so that they would speak with a common voice on all matters of Regimental interest. The following shall be eligible for membership: all serving members of the Regiment; all former serving members of the Regiment or members of Regiments having an alliance with 8th Canadian Hussars; all serving or former serving members of the Forces, who at any time are or were attached to the 8th Canadian Hussars; all former serving members of the Regiment, or former serving members of the Forces, who at any time served with or were attached to the 8th Princess Louise

Bell, Billy

  • Personne
  • 1930

Billy Bell was one of the prime movers in the association of 8th Canadian Hussars. , a natural organization.
Billy was a sergeant with A squadron in the 8th Hussars - he had be shot out of a tank seven times . He was a valued and respected member of his community and a long time director of the 8th Hussars Association. He was awarded the Canadian 125th Commemorative Medal for his outstanding service and the town of Hampton had honored him by naming a street William Bell Drive.

Belleisle Regional High School Lest We Forget Project

  • Collectivité
  • 1915-2014

Since 2006, students of Belleisle Regional High School, located in Springfield, NB have been researching soldiers who fought and died during the First and Second World Wars. Most of these soldiers are from the Kings County, NB area. In the last two years students have been researching soldiers who died while with the 8th Hussars. To date Belleisle students have researched more than 130 soldiers.
Grade 11 Modern History students work on these projects over a six week period. They have access to the military files from Library and Archives Canada and do further research using the internet and regimental histories. We are fortunate to obtain additional information and pictures for some soldiers from family relatives. The written biographies are also posted to the Canadian Virtual War Museum website.
In their grade 12 year the same group of students continue to honour these men as they create a movie slide show with text, images and music. These movies are presented to other students here at our school and the neighbouring elementary school during the week prior to Remembrance Day. They are also posted to Youtube. A copy of these discs is given to local legions, local museums, families of the fallen soldier and to the various regiments for whom the soldiers served. Some museums, such as the 8th Hussars Museum, have included the videos on their websites and / or provided for continuous viewing in their exhibit rooms.
This project has been a very enriching experience for these students.
Stephen Wilson
Belleisle Regional High School

Beveridge, Lt. Col John R.

  • Personne
  • 1971-1973

LCol Beveridge was the Commanding Officer of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s) regular force regiment from 1971-1973. He was instrumental in the establishment of the Association of the 8th Canadian Hussars (PL) Inc which was the first step in securing and protecting both artefacts and archival materials from the more than 150 year of history of the regiment in New Brunswick. LCol Beveridge also coordinated the successful application which saw HRH The Princess Anne appointed as the Colonel Commandant of the 8th Hussars, a position she still maintains today. Later in his career he was awarded the title of Honorary Colonel of the Regiments. He currently resides in Ontario and continues to be active with the Association and Regimental Council.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 138