- Corporate body
Albert Edward (A.E.) Wry was born in Sackville, New Brunswick on March 23, 1864 to James Wry and Charlotte T. Kay. He married Emma J. Richardson on June 5, 1889, in Sackville, New Brunswick. He died on November 30, 1945, at the age of 81, and is buried in Sackville, New Brunswick. The A.E. Wry Standard Manufacturing Company came into existence as an amalgamation of three local companies located in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick: the Ayer Boot & Shoe Company (Acquired by A.E. in 1902), the Abner Smith Manufacturer of Boots and Shoes (Acquired by A.E. in 1903), and A.E Wry’s own company, A.E. Wry & Co. Harness (founded in 1896). Prior to starting his own company, Albert Edward Wry had been a long-time employee of J. R. Ayer. Wry’s business became known as the Standard Manufacturing Company by 1906. In 1914, the shareholders of the Standard Manufacturing Company and A. E. Wry Limited, the two main branches of this industry, combined their efforts to form A.E Wry - Standard Ltd. This company was the largest of its kind in Canada, manufacturing boots and shoes, moccasins and shoe packs, harnesses of all types, and various types of leather. They were also jobbers of saddlery, hardware, leather, Saskatchewan robes and coats, sheepskin coats, trunks, bags, etc. The dates that the A.E Wry - Standard Ltd. Company officially closed its doors has not been determined, though in 1939 the property was acquired by the J. L. Black Company after their main store and warehouse burned down.