Showing 22 results

Authority record
New Brunswick

McAndrew Glover, Laura

  • Laura McAndrew Glover Letters and Ephemera
  • Person
  • 1945-1947

Laura McAndrew was born in 1917 to Robert McAndrew and Ellen (possibly Nellie) Morrison. She joined the Canadian Woman's Army Corp (Founded in 1941) and served overseas.
She married Ralph Glover in 1946. They had several children. Laura died in January of 2006, and Ralph died in May 2008.

The Lawson Family

  • Lawson Family Postcards
  • Family
  • 1910-1922

A collection of postcards sent to Alice Eliza Lawson from various family members.

Alice Eliza Lawson (Nee Stephen) was born on 6 July 1868 in Gloucester England to Andrew J Stephen and Eliza Layton. She moved to Canada with her family when she was 3 (circa 1871.) Several of her siblings were born in Canada. On 20 June 1888, she married Brunswick Arthur Lawson. They had four children, Andrew William (1889-1916) George Brunswick (1892-1916) Alice Eliza (1896-1970) Lucinda Bella (1901-1974), and Mary Delphina Florence (1908-2002.) Her sons, Andrew and George died months apart in Europe during the First World War. Alice died 20 June 1933, the 45th anniversary of her marriage to Brunswick, who outlived her passing 10 October 1942.

Ardeth Aileen (Emerson) Holmes

  • MC 717
  • Person
  • 1953-2022

Following a period of failing health Ardeth Aileen Holmes (Emerson), St. Andrews, N.B. passed away at the Charlotte Co. Hospital, St. Stephen, N.B. on August 19, 2022, with her husband by her side.

Ardeth was the daughter of the late Murchie and Marjorie (Thornton) Emerson. She leaves behind her beloved husband of forty-one years Jeffrey K. Holmes, her sister Janet Emerson, St. Stephen; her brother-in-law Blaine Holmes, Waweig; aunts Aileen Howson, London, Ontario and Audrey Mitchell, St. Andrews, N.B.; numerous cousins and family friend Chris Flemming. In addition to her parents she was predeceased by her father-in-law and mother-in-law Lester and Madeline (Mady) Holmes, and her brother Ross Emerson.

James and Abner Smith

  • MC-16
  • Family
  • 1844-1854, [1880-?], 1887-1890.

James Smith was born in MacDuff, Scotland on 18 March 1793 and died in Sackville, New Brunswick on 16 August, 1865. He married Isobell Bruce in 1815 and had eight children with her, one of them being Abner Smith (1835-1904), born in Shemogue, New Brunswick. Isobell died in 1842 in Shemogue, New Brunswick. James later married Abigail Peirse in Amherst, Nova Scotia in 1845. During the first half of the 19th century, James Smith manufactured harnesses, boots, and shoes, and by the 1850s his was one of at least seven tanneries located in Middle Sackville. Abner carried on his father’s large-scale boot and shoe operation and in 1865 he established Abner Smith’s Manufacturer of Boots and Shoes in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. The company remained active for thirty-seven years until it was purchased by the Standard Manufacturing Company organized by A. E. Wry in 1903 (renamed A. E. Wry Standard, Ltd in 1914).

Enamel and Heating Products Ltd.

  • MC-21
  • Corporate body
  • 1852-2012

The Fawcett Foundry was opened in 1852 by John and Charles Fawcett on the corner of Main and King Streets in Sackville, New Brunswick as a small tin shop producing stoves. The establishment of the Intercolonial Railway in 1869 allowed the foundry to expand because it gave them a way to ship goods worldwide.
In December of 1893, the original building was destroyed by a fire but was rebuilt in February of 1894. The costs associated with the rebuilding affected employees’ salaries causing a strike later in 1894. Though not free of difficulty, the early twentieth century marked the Foundry’s shift from its beginnings as a tin shop to a wartime materials manufacturer to the enamel stoves and sanitaryware manufacturing for which it became known.
With the business success from World War 1, Fawcett Foundry underwent a rebranding to Enamel & Heating Products Ltd. in 1928. That same year they expanded into Amherst, Nova Scotia with Plant #2, then the next year, Victoria, British Columbia where they bought out the Albion Iron Works Company, Plant #3. Their expansion also allowed Enamel and Heating to keep up with exporting their products internationally, which was increasingly commonplace in the 1930s. They exported to countries including New Zealand, Argentina, and South Africa. Sackville, New Brunswick, alongside the Fawcett Foundry, Plant #1, remained the company headquarters and was under the direction of Dr. Norman A. Hesler. Hesler helped lead the Fawcett rebranding and reorganization, and he served as President and Managing Director of Enamel & Heating Products Ltd. for many years.
Enamel and Heating was very successful with a total countrywide workforce of 800, including 250 employees in Sackville. As well as the foundries they owned several branches including the Fundy and Chapman branches in New Brunswick and a Quebec branch. Representatives of Enamel and Heating presented at exhibitions across Canada – including the Hanrower Exhibition, exhibitions in Vancouver, British Columbia; St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador; Bridgewater and Halifax, Nova Scotia; and the Rand Show and Empire Exhibition in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The company was hit hard by the Depression, but World War II contracts helped keep the Sackville-based company alive. Enamel & Heating Products Ltd. devoted roughly 80% of its operation to fill war orders and even added a new building at their Sackville location to accommodate the increased production of aircraft parts, ammunition boxes, windlasses, and bilge pumps. In 1950 the company acquired the Canadian Car & Foundry Company in Amherst, Nova Scotia. After a year of operation under the name Atlantic Industries Limited, the company was fully absorbed into Enamel & Heating Products and became its Plant #4, housing both steel and aircraft divisions.
Due to changes in South African export policies, Lewis Appliance Corporation took over manufacturing of Enamel and Heating products to be sold in South Africa. The partnership with Lewis Appliances proved fruitful and Enamel and Heating, in conjunction with Lewis Appliances, hosted a contest for their Ellis de Luxe stove in South Africa in 1958.
In 1982 Enamel and Heating closed due to declining popularity of wood heating, the economy of the late 1970s, and competition from larger companies. The province bought out the assets of Enamel and Heating and their closest competitor Enterprise Foundry, also in Sackville, New Brunswick that went into receivership that same year. The old Enamel and Heating buildings were sold to Mount Allison University in 1986 for one dollar and demolished that June. A much smaller foundry opened on the old site of the Enterprise foundry and as an homage to both of the town’s foundries operated under the name Enterprise Fawcett Foundry Limited until its closing after a fire in 2012.

Sackville Harness Shop

  • MC-23
  • Corporate body
  • 1919-2020

The Sackville Harness Shop was founded in 1919 by Aretus C. Anderson, Albert Anderson, J. L. Dixon, Frank W. Fullerton, Clarence Griffin, and William W. Ward. However, according to an interview from Rural Heritage magazine in 2000, a long-time employee Paul Blakeny noted that his father, Arthur Blakeny was also one of the founders of the Harness Shop. Arthur and several others were employees of the old A. E. Wry Standard (another harness manufacturer), and Paul said that they were not satisfied with their conditions so they went on strike, and left to start the Sackville Harness Shop in 1919. The building that housed the shop from 1920 onwards was built in Sackville, New Brunswick by Samuel Freeze Black (1806-1880), the uncle of the prominent Sackville merchant Joseph L. Black, in 1846. After the founding owners, the Harness shop was owned by the Estabrooks brothers Bob, Bonar, Louis, and Bill and there were six employees. Bill Long began working at the shop in 1978 (after being laid off from a job at Moloney Electric). Bill Long was hired as a collar maker in 1978. He trained under the master craftsman/collar-maker, Jack McKenzie, who himself trained under one of the founders, Clarence Griffin. Long purchased the business in 1991 and retired in May 2021, ending approximately 30 years of ownership and 101 years of the business operation. The Harness Shop was well-known for their handcrafted leather harnesses and their handmade straw collars (which was one of the Harness Shop’s signature products). The shop had expanded into other areas, including making belts, bags, and jingle bell straps, as well as selling other leather goods and horse care products. At the time of the shop’s closure (and for many years prior), the Sackville Harness Shop was the only manufacturer of handmade straw collars in North America and of hand-made horse tack. The shop also had some notable customers over the years, including making a 34 inch collar for the world’s (allegedly) biggest and heaviest horse in Washington state; collars for the Budweiser Brewery Clydesdales team in St. Louis Missouri, USA; and collars for the Carlsberg Brewery Belgians Team in Toronto, Ontario.

Richard Lowerison

  • MC-32
  • Person
  • 1809-1875

Captain Richard Lowerison was born in Aulac, Westmorland County on April 22, 1822. At age 35 on December 29, 1857, he married Mary Keillor, daughter of Thomas Coates Keillor (1788-?) and Mary Jones (1799-?). Richard and Mary had 4 children between 1859 and 1868: Alice Bertha Lowerison, Elmore Harold Lowerison (MD), Mabel Mary Aravessa (Horace Ellsworth Fawcett), and Ethel Ellen Lowerison. Census and ship records confirm that the Captain worked as a Master Mariner and ship owner from 1839 to some time between the last ship record (1873) and the first census report where his occupation is listed as retired (1881). Throughout his time as a Master Mariner, he owned shares in many locally built ships, and frequently did business with close friend and notable Dorchester, New Brunswick ship builder, Gideon Palmer. He moved to Amherst in 1872 and spent several years in retirement then took up the position of Registrar or Probate in Amherst, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia in approximately 1892. Captain Lowerison died January 29, 1904 in Cumberland County.

Oulton Family

  • MC-51
  • Family
  • 1905-1937

Edward Chandler Oulton was born approximately 1874 in Baie Verte, Westmorland County, New Brunswick and died September 29, 1942 in Saint John, New Brunswick. He was the brother of Jennie Oulton, Mary Ellen (Oulton) Frizzel, Phoebe Jane (Oulton) Cadman, Major Hiram Oulton, Minnie Tresa (Oulton) Hunter, William Ernest Oulton and Frederick Burton Oulton and the son of Jonathon Oulton and Julie Ann Tucker. Edward Chandler Oulton’s brother Jonathan Oulton was a farmer, so it is possible Edward Chandler took over or worked on the family farm. A J.M. Oulton owned property in Sackville near where the Main Street Baptist Church stands today.

Margaret 'Marcie' (Morice) Fullerton

  • MC-53
  • Person
  • 1920-2015

Margaret Elizabeth “Marcie” (Morice) Fullerton was born on 25 February 1920 in Middle Sackville, New Brunswick to John Wright Morice (1902-1981) and Edith (Campbell) Morice (1901-1972). She was educated in local schools and graduated from the Middle Sackville Superior School. She later attended the Mount Allison Commercial College where she completed her certificate in secretarial studies in 1937. A lifelong resident of Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. Marcie was the secretary to five Mount Allison University presidents between 1945 and 1986 including: George J. Trueman, W.T. Ross Flemington, Bill Crawford, Laurence Cragg, and Guy MacLean. She married Charles Russell Fullerton (1923-2007) on April 24, 1943 and the couple had one child, David Fullerton. Marcie was President and founder of the Sackville branch of The Business and Professional Woman’s club. Marcie had a passion for collecting textual records and photographs pertaining to the history of Sackville. She died in Saint John, New Brunswick on 11 April 2015. She is interred in the Westcock Cemetery in Westcock, New Brunswick.

George Rogers

  • MC-56
  • Person
  • 1867-1952

George Leban Rogers was born December 16, 1867 in Westcock, New Brunswick to John Rogers, who had emigrated from Scotland, and his wife Emily Lawrence. George was christened at St. Anne's Anglican Church, British Settlement, New Brunswick. From his early teens through his adulthood he lived on the shores of Morice’s Mill Pond, later known as Silver Lake, in Sackville, New Brunswick. George married his first wife Priscella Estabrooks on February 26, 1890. Priscella was born on September 14, 1872, and died in 1905 at 33 years of age. Together, they had seven children: Norman, George W., Marguerita, Hazel, John “Jack”, Clinton “Ted”, Picard “Pick” Hamilton, and Charles B. In 1902, the family moved to the old Beal residence located on the edge of Morice’s Mill Pond (Silver Lake). George continued to live in the house for the rest of his life with his youngest son Abner G. Rogers. After Priscella died in 1905, George was left with seven children, but two years later, he married Flossie Estabrooks (Priscella’s younger sister) on April 24, 1907. George and Flossie had five children together: Edith P., Dexter C., Herman, Donald F., and Abner G.. Flossie died in 1944 after she was hit by a truck in Middle Sackville. George worked for 64 years at the Campbell Carriage Factory as a master wheelwright, wagon, carriage, and sleigh manufacturer in Sackville, New Brunswick. He first appears on the payroll of the Carriage Factory on December 1, 1884, shortly before he turned 17 and continued to work at the Carriage Factory until his 81st year and was one of the factory’s last two employees. George temporarily left the factory in 1916 to enlist in the 145th Regiment in Moncton, New Brunswick. He served overseas in the latter part of WWI with his sons, Jack and Clinton in the 145th Battalion, while his other son, Norman served in the 27th Battalion. George played multiple instruments with the “Middle Sackville” and the “Westmorland and Kent Battalion'' bands. He was an active member of the Royal Canadian Legion from its formation in 1926, becoming the first member to receive a Life Membership from them. George died on April 30, 1952, at the Lancaster Military Hospital in Saint John, New Brunswick.

Results 1 to 10 of 22