- [ca. 1892]
Educator, pastor, and preacher Frank Baird was born in Chipman, Queens County, New Brunswick, on 8 January 1870. He received his teacher's licence from the provincial Normal School in 1890, and taught briefly before enrolling in the University of New Brunswick. He graduated from UNB with a Bachelor of Arts degree and later earned a Master of Arts degree at Dalhousie College.
Baird was ordained a minister in the Presbyterian Church, and served congregations at Sussex (1901-1911) and Woodstock (1911-1920) in New Brunswick and at Pictou and Bedford in Nova Scotia. In 1927 he received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from the Presbyterian College at Montréal, Québec. In 1930 the Rev. Frank Baird was elected Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. For the last 30 years of his life he served as Clerk and Treasurer of the Maritime Synod and held offices on various church boards.
In addition to his career in the Church, Frank Baird penned a number of short stories which were set in New Brunswick. He also wrote historical sketches and religious essays and spoke at public events. Some of his sermons and addresses were printed in newspapers and periodicals. The Rev. Frank Baird was residing in Fredericton when he died on 22 June 1951.
George Thomas Baird was born in 1847, at Bairdsville, Carleton County, New Brunswick, of Scottish ancestry. He was the son of George and Frances (Bishop) Baird. He married Ida Jane Sadler, daughter of Captain Dexter W. Sadler, of Saint John in 1879 and had two sons.
George Baird was educated at the public school and the Provincial Normal School. He taught school for a number of years. He also was engaged in general mercantile and lumbering business in Andover. He was a Mason, a postmaster at Perth, 1878-1882, and a justice of the peace for Victoria County. He represented Victoria County in the House of Assembly, 1884-1890 and 1892-1895, as a Conservative. He was called to the Senate of Canada, in June 1895, where he served until his death in Andover in 1917.
Source: Prominent People of New Brunswick, 1937
Reginald Ernest Balch was born in Sevenoaks, England, in 1894, the son of Sarah Hawkes and Rev. Alfred Ernest Balch. He emigrated to Canada in 1913 and following service as a lieutenant in the Canadian Field Artillery, attended the Ontario Agricultural College (BSA, 1923) and Syracuse University (MSc and PhD).
In 1930 Balch was appointed officer in charge of the Dominion Entomological Laboratory, a federal government facility, located on the UNB campus in Fredericton. In the years that followed, he received world recognition for his work as a forester, entomologist, ecologist, and conservationist. He discovered and promoted the method of biological control that eliminated the threat of the European spruce sawfly which had been destroying forests in Eastern Canada, directed the first budworm spray program in NB in the 1950s and was instrumental in persuading the City of Fredericton to take action against the Dutch Elm beetle. His five half-hour radio lectures for the CBC's long-running adult-education programme, "University of the Air," during the spring of 1965, were essential to the introduction of the word "ecology" to the public. The texts of these lectures were later published in The Ecological Viewpoint (Toronto: CBC, 1965).
Following his retirement from the Fredericton laboratory in 1960, he began to take his life-long hobby of photography more seriously, eventually publishing two books of photographs, A Mind's Eye in 1985 and Celebrations of Nature in 1991. Balch's photographs were also used to illustrate Alden Nowlan's Early poems, published in 1983. His photos have also appeared in Camera Canada and the International Photography Year Book.
Throughout his life, Balch was the recipient of many awards and honours: an honorary Doctor of Science degree from UNB (1963); the first Canadian and, at the time, only the second non-US resident to receive the Society of American Foresters Award of Achievement in Biological Research; honorary member of the Canadian and American societies of Entomology; honorary president of the Conservation Council of NB; recipient of the Silver Medal from the Royal Society of Arts; and recipient of the Distinguished Citizen's Award of the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce (1985).
Reg Balch died, aged 99, on 14 April 1994 in Fredericton, NB.
Source: UA Case 73m - UNB Honorary Degree Recipients, Biographies
The Bank of Fredericton was established in 1836 by a group of Fredericton, New Brunswick, businessmen. Trustees were Asa Coy, Thomas T. Smith, Robert Chestnut, William Dale Harte and Charles Fisher. The bank issued notes of five shillings, 10 shillings, one pound, and five pound denominations, which were exempt from the prohibition on private currency in the New Brunswick Bank Act of 1837. At the time of its incorporation with the Commercial Bank of New Brunswick on 28 February 1839, The Bank of Fredericton had £23,700 in notes in circulation, most of which were called in during the following year and burned.
Philip Bannister was born in 1860 or 1861 in Rockland, New Brunswick. He was the son of Jeremiah Bannister, born 1818 at Sackville, N.B., and Jane Lounsbury. Jeremiah apparently worked as a constable and as a ship's carpenter. Philip's younger brother, Jonas, born around 1865, died 13 October 1882 of massive injuries after falling from the upper main topsail. He was buried at sea that evening.
Philip was a cook and steward on board a number of sailing vessels, most of which were either built in Saint John or in Saint Martin's, N.B: "Frederica", "Daphne", "Cricket", "Orontes", "Maiden City", and the "Katahdin". He married Elizabeth R. Boutilier of Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia on 6 October 1887. They had two daughters, Sarah, and Bell, and a son, Robbie.
"Heads of Households of Cities, Towns, Villages, and Settlements of New Brunswick", 1865-1866; Marriage Register 1857-1888, Westmorland County; and Census 1871, 1891, Westmorland County
The first Baptist church in Fredericton was organized on 1 January 1814 by William Wilmot, John Marsh, Ebenezer Estabrooks, Theophilus Ring, Jarvis Ring, Olive Ring, Jacob Ring, Alline Hartt, Deborah Hartt, Ann Fraser, Robert Fraser, Hannah Cromwell, and Amasa Coy. They were led by the Rev. Elijah Estabrooks who was also the pastor of the Waterborough Baptist Church.
A meeting house was built along the north side of Regent Street by June 1814 and remained in use until 1840 when a new church was built on the site of the present day Brunswick Street Baptist Church. For the first 30 years the church was often without a regular minister and was served by the Rev. Estabrooks, visiting ministers and elders of the church. Despite this, the church sponsored missions to areas without a Baptist church, especially in the upper St. John River valley.
Brothers Arthur, Roy and Charles Barker of Victoria County, New Brunswick, operated hunting and fishing camps on the shores of Stewart Lake and the tributaries of the Tobique River near Plaster Rock, Victoria County, New Brunswick. Visitors from Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Maine travelled to these camps (Riley Brook Camp, Stewart Camp, Branch Camp) as early as 1905, to hunt for moose, deer, bear, caribou, and partridge and to fish for trout and salmon. The business was operating in 1932.
Brothers Joseph Barker (d. ca. 1796) and Benjamin Barker (d. ca. 1799) were living in the parish of Sheffield, Sunbury County in New Brunswick by 1785. Their family had probably arrived there with a group of Planters or pre-Loyalist settlers from New England in the 1760s. They both signed a land petition in 1792 as dissenting Protestants and they may have been Congregationalists or Puritans. Joseph married Sarah Burt and had 4 children: Jacob, Isaac, Peggy and Betty. Benjamin died in 1799 or 1800, leaving his estate to his wife Peggy and a son and daughter.
Sources: Hale, R. Wallace, Early New Brunswick Probate Records 1785-1835