Showing 1863 results

Authority record

Ayer, Gerald Carruthers

  • Person
  • [1898 or 1899]-1992

Gerald Carruthers Ayer, of Sackville, New Brunswick, attended the Sackville Primary Schools. The Mount Allison calendars list him as an engineering student at the University for 1916/1917 and 1917/1918, and then as a student in bookkeeping at the Academy and Commercial College, 1918-1919. He lived on Bridge Street and operated a filling station business for most of his working years. He died 30 April 1992, at the age of 93.

Aymer, John

  • MC75
  • Person
  • 1800-1900

John Aymer of St. Andrews petitioned the Provincial Assembly for the privilege of building a water system for St. Andrews. This was granted by an act of the Assembly, renewed in 1845 and extended to 1860. However the company was not incorporated until 12 April 1861 by Benjamin F. Milliken, John Aymer, James W. Chandler, John Bradford, Wellington Hatch, and William Kerr. Benjamin R. Stevenson was president during the last days of the Company.

Babbitt, George Wetmore

  • MS10
  • Person
  • 1870-1961

George Wetmore Babbitt, the son of George Nealon Babbitt and Annie Babbitt. George Nealon Babbitt was Deputy Receiver-General and spent fifty years in the public service of New Brunswick. George Wetmore Babbitt was born in Fredericton on April 29, 1870. He was educated in the Normal School in Fredericton and was employed with the Bank of Nova Scotia. In 1897, he married Annie May McLaughlin , they had two children, and George died in 1961. Samuel Wellington Babbitt was born in Fredericton on 1 Oct 1881. He served in the 71st Militia Regiment, 1901-03 and enlisted in Feb 1915 in the 8th Field Company CEF.

Baden-Powell, Lord & Lady

  • Family
  • 1857 - 1977

Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell (Lord Baden-Powell)
Robert, later known affectionately as B-P, was born in London, England, on February 22, 1857. After leaving school Robert entered the British Army as an officer, serving in India, Afghanistan and South Africa. During the Boer War, B-P, in charge of a small detachment of mounted men, was besieged in the town of Mafeking. This situation appealed to the British public and when Mafeking was relieved after 217 days, B-P was proclaimed a hero. While in Mafeking, one of B-P's officers organized the boys in the town into a messenger service to help the soldiers called the Mafeking Cadet Corps. B-P was quick to see the possibilities in this and the idea of the Boy Scouts was born in his mind. B-P's last assignment in South Africa was to organize a local police force. Their uniform was the model for the original Boy Scout uniform. He wrote a small manual on scouting, army style for the police force. On his return to Britain, B-P became Inspector General of Cavalry and travelled widely in the line of duty. He found that his scouting manual was being used by the Boys' Brigade. After inspecting the boys and talking with their leader, he agreed to adapt his book for them. However, because of his concern about the lack of “spirit” in British boys, particularly in those without the advantages of a good education, he decided instead to form a new organization, the Boy Scouts. He felt what was needed was a scheme of character training for boys. To promote his scheme he wrote a series of articles, of the popular serial type, for a weekly boys' magazine. He later published these as a book Scouting for Boys. His serial stories were read eagerly all over Britain, and boys were forming themselves into Scout patrols by the time the book was published. B-P, now 50 years old, resigned his commission in the Army and devoted all his time to Scouting, travelling widely to organize troops and to train leaders. In 1909, all Scouts who could get there were invited to a rally at the Crystal Palace in London. The parade numbered in the thousands of boys and, to the surprise of everyone, some girls as well! They too had been reading the scouting stories. They had registered themselves as Scouts with Scout Headquarters and had obtained uniform items by using only their initials and not their first names. They demanded to be allowed to join the new organization. B-P, a bachelor with the traditional views of women's roles that were common at the time, asked his sister Agnes to help him organize a new movement, which he called Girl Guides. In January 1912, B-P set off for the West Indies starting an extended trip to promote Scouting in the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. On board he met Mr. Harold Soames and his daughter Olave, who were going to spend a winter holiday in Jamaica. Olave and Robert found they had much in common, including the same birthdays, although born 32 years apart. By the time the ship reached Jamaica, they were unofficially engaged and were married later that year, on October 30th. In 1918 B-P wrote Girl Guiding, a program book for girls from eight to 18. B-P died January 8, 1941.

Olave St. Clair Soames (Olave, Lady Baden-Powell)
The youngest child of Harold and Katharine Soames, Olave was born February 22, 1889, near Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England. When Olave was old enough, she began to accompany her father on his winter holidays. It was on the way to Jamaica with him that she met the “Scout man,” General Baden-Powell. Although there was a great difference in their ages - 32 years, they fell in love. B-P continued with his tour for Scouting and Olave returned to England with her father when the holiday was over. Olave and her “Robin” had a quiet wedding in Dorset, October 30, 1912. In December there was a large wedding reception for them in London. Olave was, of course, interested in her husband's Scouting activities and soon became involved in Girl Guides. In 1916 she was appointed County Commissioner for Sussex and two years later became Chief Guide for Britain. In 1920 Olave helped form an International Council which grew and developed as Guiding grew, and eventually became the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. She died on June 25, 1977.

Bagley, Vernon

  • Person
  • 1916-1981

Vernon Bagley was born in Seal Cove, Grand Manan, Charlotte County, in 1916, the son of Robert and Leone (Greene) Bagley. Vernon completed grade 9 at Seal Cove School and then worked with his father as a fisherman between Seal Cove and Wood Island. In 1945, Vernon married Florence Wilson of Seal Cove, and they had a son, Colin, who made his home in Grand Harbour with his wife, Mary (Gaskill) Bagley, and their son, Stewart.

In February 1963, Vernon rescued Floyd Jones off of the coast of Grand Manan, near Southern Head, receiving the Carnegie Silver Medal for his actions. Following his retirement from fishing and hunting, Vernon worked for 21 years as a provincial game warden. He retired a second time, in 1981, at age 65.

Baie Verte-Port Elgin-Tidnish Bridge Pastoral Charge

  • [ca. 1818] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

A Methodist Church existed at Baie Verte prior to 1818, but the first regular services of a minister did not occur until 1818 when a church was built. A second church was built in 1839 and the present St. James Church was built in 1883. For many years, Baie Verte was part of the Point de Bute Circuit, but it became a separate circuit in 1860 that also included Bayfield. A church at Lorneville, Nova Scotia was part of the circuit and the church at Port Elgin was added in 1891.

Presbyterian work in the area commenced in Shemogue/Murray Corner in the late 1820s, under Rev. Alexander Clarke, Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter). Clarke held services in Baie Vert and Port Elgin, beginning in the 1840s. Although no church was built in Baie Vert, a church was erected in Port Elgin, ca 1856 served by Rev. Alexander Robinson, also a Covenanter. Mainline Presbyterianism came after the 1875 union, and the Port Elgin church became a Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1876. In 1905, Joseph Howe Brownell, formerly a Covenanter, also became a minister of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in Port Elgin and Tidnish, serving until his death in 1920.
It is unknown when the church known as the Tidnish Bridge United Church building was built. Reformed Presbyterians began to hold meetings in this area in the late 1820s, under the direction of Revs. Alexander Clarke and William Darragh. In the 1880s, mainline Presbyterianism reappeared, ministers coming from Port Elgin; a chief one being Joseph Howe Brownell. With the formation of The United Church of Canada in 1925, the Presbyterian church in Tidnish became Tidnish Bridge United Church. The church was closed in the fall of 2003.
In 1925, the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish were united to form the United Church of Canada Pastoral Charge of Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish.

Baie Verte (St. James) and Port Elgin (Trinity) are the two preaching places on this Pastoral Charge. They are located in Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Tidnish was a third preaching place associated with this Pastoral Charge. It is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. The church at Tidnish Bridge was closed in 2003.

The church at Port Elgin burned on November 20, 1955 and a new building was constructed 1956-1957.

Bailey family (Fredericton)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in 1811

Jacob Whitman Bailey, the son of Jane Whitman and Isaac Bailey, was born in 1811, probably at Providence, Rhode Island. At age 12, family finances forced him to find employment with a local bookseller. By 1828 he enrolled in the United States Military Academy at West Point. He later taught chemistry, mineralogy, and geology there, being a recognized authority on the diatom and infusoria. He married Maria Slaughter, and they had four children: Maria Whitman (1836-1852), Samuel Slaughter (1838-1860), Loring Woart (1839-1925), and William Whitman (1843-1914). J. W. Bailey died on 27 February 1857.

His son Loring Woart Bailey studied at Harvard University and later did graduate work in chemistry at both Brown and Harvard universities. In 1861 L.W. Bailey moved to Fredericton where he became chair of Chemistry and Natural Science at the University of New Brunswick, holding that post until his death in 1925. While at UNB he also taught physics, zoology, physiology, botany, and geology.

In summer, Loring Woart Bailey did field survey work for the Geological Survey of New Brunswick, and later for the Geological Survey of Canada, working in Quebec, Nova Scotia, and Maine. Retiring from UNB in 1907, he concentrated on the study of diatoms and worked with the Marine Biological Station at St. Andrews, N.B. Bailey published numerous scientific articles and books. He served as president of the Natural History Society for several years, and was a charter member of the Royal Society of Canada, contributing numerous papers to its distinguished journal. Professor Bailey and John Babbitt have been credited with making Fredericton’s first telephone, which connected the Bailey home, “Sunnyside,” at 329-331 University Avenue, with the Babbitt house.

In 1863 L. W. Bailey married Laurestine Marie de Brett (1841-1938), the daughter of Margaret Emma Glenn and Joseph Marshall d’Avray, who was professor of Modern Languages at UNB and of its predecessor, King’s College. They had several children, including Joseph Whitman (1865-1932), Loring Woart, Jr. (1868-1943), and George Whitman (1879-1936). Son Joseph practiced law in Boston, compiled genealogies, and also published travel books and biographies. Loring Woart, Jr., worked for the Bank of British North America in Québec. George was a physician and served as medical inspector of schools in Fredericton.

Educator, poet, anthropologist, and administrator Alfred Goldsworthy Bailey, the son Ernestine Valiant Gale and Loring Woart Bailey, Jr., was born in Québec in 1905. He received a B.A. from UNB (1927) and an M.A. (1929) and Ph.D. (1934) from the University of Toronto. In 1934 he enrolled in the School of Economics and Political Science (London) and then studied British and continental museum administration under a Carnegie grant. He married Jean Craig Hamilton (d. 1998); they had no children.

Dr. Bailey had a long and distinguished academic and administrative career. He was employed as assistant director and associate curator at the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John before becoming the first chair of History at UNB (1938-1969). He also served as dean of arts (1946-1964), vice-president academic (1965-1964), and as honorary librarian and chief executive officer of the Bonar Law-Bennett Library (1946-1959), where he worked closely with Lord Beaverbrook. He was also instrument in founding the Bliss Carman Society (1940) and The Fiddlehead (1945). Alfred G. Bailey published several books of poetry, as well as academic books and articles on aspects of history and anthropology. He died at Fredericton on 21 April 1997.

Bailey family (Saint John)

  • Family
  • Branch begins before 1820

John and William Bailey were the sons of William S. and Elizabeth Bailey were were married in New Brunswick in 1820. The father was a shoemaker by trade and died in 1838 at the age of 46, due to complications from his injuries from a scaffolding accident. He was survived by his wife and children.

John Bailey was a merchant in Saint John in 1849. He apparently specialized in flour of several types and cornmeal as he regularly received shipments by sea from Philadelphia and New York. In October 1849, John made what appears to be a sudden decision to leave for California, probably to join the Gold Rush. He signed over power of attorney to settle his business to his brother, William, a printer in Saint John. Several lots of land were also signed over to William. John Bailey died on 13 June 1860 at his residence on Orange Street. His death was listed as inflammation of the lungs.

William S. Bailey was apprenticed to Henry Sancton, a printer in Saint John in 1839 for a period of 5 years by his mother and guardian Elizabeth Bailey. As part of his apprenticeship, William worked in Saint John on the "Herald", a Henry Sancton publication in 1844 and in Fredericton, at the "Reporter" [184?]. He married Mary Elizabeth Williams in 1846 and they had 10 children, Margaret, Isabell, William, Rachael, Jane L., Lora E., Louisa, Maud, Charlotte, and Emily. During his career as a printer, William appears to have collaborated with a prominent Saint John printer, George W. Day, on occasion. Bailey is listed as a co-publisher of the "Saint John Mail", published 1847-1848.

Sources: "McAlpines Saint John City Directory," 1863-1864; Census 1851, 1861, 1871; Harper, J. Russell, Historical Directory of New Brunswick Newspapers and Periodicals

Bailey family (UNB)

  • Family
  • Branch begins in late 18th or early 19th century

Little is known of Joseph Head Marshall because he burned most of his confidential papers, and other "very important" papers were destroyed by his son's widow. He corresponded with Edward Jenner and apparently introduced vaccination to British sailors and civilians in Mediterranean countries prior to 1801. According to great-grandson Joseph Whitman Bailey, he worked as a secret courier in 1815 between Murat, Fouche, Napoleon, and the British, promoting the restoration of the house of Bourbon.

Later Marshall worked as a British secret agent, and his second wife Elizabeth Golding Elrington (1791-1847), the mother of 12 of his children, was allegedly also a secret agent or spy. Marshall was given the title Baron d'Avray despite the fact there was already a titled d'Avray family. His eldest son Joseph de Brett (1811-1871) lost his fortune and called himself simply Joseph Marshall d'Avray. The title was taken up again by his grandson Loring Woart Bailey, Jr.

Isaac Bailey was a lawyer and editor from Providence, Rhode Island. In 1810 he married Jane Whitman (1793-1886), and they had 3 children: Jacob Whitman Bailey (1811-1856), William Mason Bailey (1815-1897), and Samuel Emerson Bailey (d. 1846). Jane Whitman Bailey's second husband, George Keely, was a professor at Colby College.

Jacob Whitman Bailey went to work in a Providence bookstore at the age of 12. In 1828 he enrolled in the United States Military Academy at West Point, where, in 1834, he became assistant professor of chemistry. The next year he married Maria Slaughter of Culpeper, Virginia, and they had four children: Maria Whitman (1836-1852), Samuel Slaughter (1838-1860), Loring Woart (1839-1925), and William Whitman (1843-1914).

In 1838 Jacob was promoted to professor of chemistry, mineralogy, and geology. He also worked in the field of microbiology, collaborating with Irish botanist William Henry Harvey and exchanging specimens with Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg and Friedrich Traugott Kutzing.

He occasionally wrote poetry and exchanged poetic riddles and solutions with Maria Mayo Scott, the wife of General Winfield Scott. His daughter Maria also wrote poetry and sketched. In July 1852, while on holiday, Jacob, his wife Maria, his daughter Maria, and his son William were caught in one of the worst shipping disasters of the century, the burning of the "Henry Clay". Only he and William survived.

Loring Woart Bailey and William Whitman Bailey, children of Jacob Whitman and Maria (Slaughter) Bailey, both became science professors. William Whitman Bailey remained in the United States. He volunteered for the Union Army during the Civil War, but was discharged for medical reasons. He studied at Brown and became professor of Botany there after years of holding temporary appointments. In 1881 he married Eliza Randall Simmons. William wrote articles on botany, poems, and prose. His daughter Margaret Emerson Bailey (1885-1949), a civic politician and writer, published poems, novels, a gardening book, and a guide to good manners.

Loring Woart Bailey attended Harvard University and completed graduate work in chemistry at both Brown and Harvard. While at university he studied under Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Louis Agassiz, and Asa Gray; edited his father's letters; wrote his biography; prepared a family genealogy; and wrote a paper based on his father's microbiological investigations.

At Harvard he worked with Josiah Cooke, who facilitated his hiring by the University of New Brunswick to fill the position of professor of chemistry and natural science left vacant by the death of James Robb. Relocating to Fredericton, New Brunswick, in 1861, Bailey later taught geology and biology. He corresponded with Benjamin Silliman, William Henry Harvey, R. K. Greville, O. N. Rood, and H. L. Smith. During the early years, Bailey suffered from a sense of scientific isolation.

Bailey, Alfred Goldsworthy

  • Person
  • 1905-1997

Alfred Goldsworthy Bailey was born in Québec City in 1905 and died in Fredericton in 1997. He received a BA from the University of New Brunswick in 1927 and a doctorate from the University of Toronto in 1934. In the same year he married Jean Craig, daughter of Samuel Alexander Hamilton of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.
As a young man he worked as a reporter on the Toronto "Mail and Empire". He became assistant director and associate curator at the New Brunswick Museum in 1935. In 1938 he returned to the University of New Brunswick to become head of the History Department. In 1946 he became Dean of Arts and Honorary Librarian of the Bonar Law-Bennett Library. From 1965 to 1969 he was vice-president academic and on his retirement in 1970, became the first professor emeritus in history.
He taught history, anthropology, psychology and sociology. He wrote poetry and was largely responsible for founding the "Fiddlehead", one of Canada's oldest literary journals. From 1936-1937, Alfred Bailey was president of the Saint John Art Club and president of the Friends of the Library Association, Saint John in 1937. He collected biographical information about members of his family. Joseph Marshall de Brett Marechel D'Avray, second baron d'Avray (1811-1871) and his son-in-law Loring Woart Bailey, (1839-1925) .

Results 71 to 80 of 1863