Affichage de 1564 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Atherton, Benjamin

  • MS12
  • Personne
  • 1736-1816

Benjamin Atherton was born December 9, 1736, at Lancaster, Massachusetts. As a young man, he enlisted in the British Army, sailed from Boston in 1755 on the sloop "Victoria", and served for a year in Nova Scotia under Colonel Winslow. According to Lilian Maxwell's History of Central New Brunswick, Lieutenant Benjamin Atherton took part in the expulsion of the Acadians.
In 1769, Atherton arrived in Saint John and became a fur trader with the firm of Simonds, Hazen, and White of Portland Point. Atherton was placed as manager of a truck-house at St. Anne's Point, in competition with John Anderson, who was established at the mouth of the Nashwaak River. He refused to join the rebel movement in Maugerville during the American Revolution. After the War, he served as Clerk of the Peace, Registrar, and later coroner for Sunbury County. In 1788, Governor Carleton purchased land from Atherton as part of the property for Government House--land that Atherton had owned for almost twenty years. Atherton died July 17, 1816, at Prince William, York County.

Atlantic Classical Association

  • Collectivité
  • Formed in 1930

The Classical Association of the Maritime Provinces was formed in August 1930. Its constitution appeared in Proceedings of the Classical Association of the Maritime Provinces, first annual meeting, 7-8 August 1931 (copy located in file 1). The first president was James W. Cohoon, Wood Professor of Classics at Mount Allison University, where the first annual meeting was held 7-8 August, 1931.

By 1933, the association included members from Newfoundland. The Classical Association was “reborn” in 1986 when an annual meeting was held at Mount Allison in conjunction with the ninth annual Crake Lectures, 30 September-1 October, 1986. It was named the Atlantic Classical Association at that time. Professor Hans Vanderleest (Mount Allison) was appointed treasurer, and has held the position since.

It is a fairly informal group, meeting annually. The executive membership usually reflects the location of the annual meeting (i.e., for a meeting held at Mount Allison, Mount Allison faculty members are the executive).

Atlantic Policy Congress of First Nation Chiefs Secretariat

  • Collectivité
  • 1995 -

The APC Secretariat is an advocate for speaking with one voice on behalf of First Nations communities. Through research and analysis, they develop and table policy alternatives for matters affecting First Nations communities in Atlantic Canada, Quebec, and Maine, USA.

Atlantic Policy Congress (APC) of First Nations Chiefs Secretariat, was federally incorporated in 1995 and is a policy research and advocacy Secretariat for 32 Mi’kmaq, Maliseet, Passamaquoddy and Innu Chiefs, Nations and Communities. APC is governed by a board of directors comprised of the Chiefs.

With the support of the First Nation communities in Atlantic Canada, APC Secretariat follows a relationship vision that concentrates on partnership and cooperation, government to government relationships, dialogue and education, quality of life, and self-determination in First Nations Communities. In order to accomplish this, APC works closely with community members and leadership to get direction by providing all information in order that communities can make informed decisions.

Atlantic Provinces Transportation Commission

  • Collectivité
  • Established in 1927

Maritime Freight Rates Commission was established at Moncton, New Brunswick, after passage of the Maritimes Freight Rates Act in 1927 as a permanent watchdog for regional interests in transportation policy. The Atlantic Provinces Transportation Commission is its successor, supported by the four Atlantic provinces: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador, and it is affiliated with the Atlantic Provinces Chamber of Commerce.

Ayer, Gerald Carruthers

  • Personne
  • [1898 or 1899]-1992

Gerald Carruthers Ayer, of Sackville, New Brunswick, attended the Sackville Primary Schools. The Mount Allison calendars list him as an engineering student at the University for 1916/1917 and 1917/1918, and then as a student in bookkeeping at the Academy and Commercial College, 1918-1919. He lived on Bridge Street and operated a filling station business for most of his working years. He died 30 April 1992, at the age of 93.

Aymer, John

  • MC75
  • Personne
  • 1800-1900

John Aymer of St. Andrews petitioned the Provincial Assembly for the privilege of building a water system for St. Andrews. This was granted by an act of the Assembly, renewed in 1845 and extended to 1860. However the company was not incorporated until 12 April 1861 by Benjamin F. Milliken, John Aymer, James W. Chandler, John Bradford, Wellington Hatch, and William Kerr. Benjamin R. Stevenson was president during the last days of the Company.

Babbitt, George Wetmore

  • MS10
  • Personne
  • 1870-1961

George Wetmore Babbitt, the son of George Nealon Babbitt and Annie Babbitt. George Nealon Babbitt was Deputy Receiver-General and spent fifty years in the public service of New Brunswick. George Wetmore Babbitt was born in Fredericton on April 29, 1870. He was educated in the Normal School in Fredericton and was employed with the Bank of Nova Scotia. In 1897, he married Annie May McLaughlin , they had two children, and George died in 1961. Samuel Wellington Babbitt was born in Fredericton on 1 Oct 1881. He served in the 71st Militia Regiment, 1901-03 and enlisted in Feb 1915 in the 8th Field Company CEF.

Baden-Powell, Lord & Lady

  • Famille
  • 1857 - 1977

Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell (Lord Baden-Powell)
Robert, later known affectionately as B-P, was born in London, England, on February 22, 1857. After leaving school Robert entered the British Army as an officer, serving in India, Afghanistan and South Africa. During the Boer War, B-P, in charge of a small detachment of mounted men, was besieged in the town of Mafeking. This situation appealed to the British public and when Mafeking was relieved after 217 days, B-P was proclaimed a hero. While in Mafeking, one of B-P's officers organized the boys in the town into a messenger service to help the soldiers called the Mafeking Cadet Corps. B-P was quick to see the possibilities in this and the idea of the Boy Scouts was born in his mind. B-P's last assignment in South Africa was to organize a local police force. Their uniform was the model for the original Boy Scout uniform. He wrote a small manual on scouting, army style for the police force. On his return to Britain, B-P became Inspector General of Cavalry and travelled widely in the line of duty. He found that his scouting manual was being used by the Boys' Brigade. After inspecting the boys and talking with their leader, he agreed to adapt his book for them. However, because of his concern about the lack of “spirit” in British boys, particularly in those without the advantages of a good education, he decided instead to form a new organization, the Boy Scouts. He felt what was needed was a scheme of character training for boys. To promote his scheme he wrote a series of articles, of the popular serial type, for a weekly boys' magazine. He later published these as a book Scouting for Boys. His serial stories were read eagerly all over Britain, and boys were forming themselves into Scout patrols by the time the book was published. B-P, now 50 years old, resigned his commission in the Army and devoted all his time to Scouting, travelling widely to organize troops and to train leaders. In 1909, all Scouts who could get there were invited to a rally at the Crystal Palace in London. The parade numbered in the thousands of boys and, to the surprise of everyone, some girls as well! They too had been reading the scouting stories. They had registered themselves as Scouts with Scout Headquarters and had obtained uniform items by using only their initials and not their first names. They demanded to be allowed to join the new organization. B-P, a bachelor with the traditional views of women's roles that were common at the time, asked his sister Agnes to help him organize a new movement, which he called Girl Guides. In January 1912, B-P set off for the West Indies starting an extended trip to promote Scouting in the USA, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. On board he met Mr. Harold Soames and his daughter Olave, who were going to spend a winter holiday in Jamaica. Olave and Robert found they had much in common, including the same birthdays, although born 32 years apart. By the time the ship reached Jamaica, they were unofficially engaged and were married later that year, on October 30th. In 1918 B-P wrote Girl Guiding, a program book for girls from eight to 18. B-P died January 8, 1941.

Olave St. Clair Soames (Olave, Lady Baden-Powell)
The youngest child of Harold and Katharine Soames, Olave was born February 22, 1889, near Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England. When Olave was old enough, she began to accompany her father on his winter holidays. It was on the way to Jamaica with him that she met the “Scout man,” General Baden-Powell. Although there was a great difference in their ages - 32 years, they fell in love. B-P continued with his tour for Scouting and Olave returned to England with her father when the holiday was over. Olave and her “Robin” had a quiet wedding in Dorset, October 30, 1912. In December there was a large wedding reception for them in London. Olave was, of course, interested in her husband's Scouting activities and soon became involved in Girl Guides. In 1916 she was appointed County Commissioner for Sussex and two years later became Chief Guide for Britain. In 1920 Olave helped form an International Council which grew and developed as Guiding grew, and eventually became the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts. She died on June 25, 1977.

Bagley, Vernon

  • Personne
  • 1916-1981

Vernon Bagley was born in Seal Cove, Grand Manan, Charlotte County, in 1916, the son of Robert and Leone (Greene) Bagley. Vernon completed grade 9 at Seal Cove School and then worked with his father as a fisherman between Seal Cove and Wood Island. In 1945, Vernon married Florence Wilson of Seal Cove, and they had a son, Colin, who made his home in Grand Harbour with his wife, Mary (Gaskill) Bagley, and their son, Stewart.

In February 1963, Vernon rescued Floyd Jones off of the coast of Grand Manan, near Southern Head, receiving the Carnegie Silver Medal for his actions. Following his retirement from fishing and hunting, Vernon worked for 21 years as a provincial game warden. He retired a second time, in 1981, at age 65.

Baie Verte-Port Elgin-Tidnish Bridge Pastoral Charge

  • [ca. 1818] -

A pastoral charge is a grouping of churches termed "preaching points" -- each with separate names and governing boards or sessions. These churches are served by one minister. The pastoral charge title usually reflects the breadth of the geographic area encompassing the charge.

A Methodist Church existed at Baie Verte prior to 1818, but the first regular services of a minister did not occur until 1818 when a church was built. A second church was built in 1839 and the present St. James Church was built in 1883. For many years, Baie Verte was part of the Point de Bute Circuit, but it became a separate circuit in 1860 that also included Bayfield. A church at Lorneville, Nova Scotia was part of the circuit and the church at Port Elgin was added in 1891.

Presbyterian work in the area commenced in Shemogue/Murray Corner in the late 1820s, under Rev. Alexander Clarke, Reformed Presbyterian (Covenanter). Clarke held services in Baie Vert and Port Elgin, beginning in the 1840s. Although no church was built in Baie Vert, a church was erected in Port Elgin, ca 1856 served by Rev. Alexander Robinson, also a Covenanter. Mainline Presbyterianism came after the 1875 union, and the Port Elgin church became a Presbyterian Church in Canada in 1876. In 1905, Joseph Howe Brownell, formerly a Covenanter, also became a minister of the Presbyterian Church in Canada in Port Elgin and Tidnish, serving until his death in 1920.
It is unknown when the church known as the Tidnish Bridge United Church building was built. Reformed Presbyterians began to hold meetings in this area in the late 1820s, under the direction of Revs. Alexander Clarke and William Darragh. In the 1880s, mainline Presbyterianism reappeared, ministers coming from Port Elgin; a chief one being Joseph Howe Brownell. With the formation of The United Church of Canada in 1925, the Presbyterian church in Tidnish became Tidnish Bridge United Church. The church was closed in the fall of 2003.
In 1925, the Methodist and Presbyterian churches in Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish were united to form the United Church of Canada Pastoral Charge of Baie Verte, Port Elgin and Tidnish.

Baie Verte (St. James) and Port Elgin (Trinity) are the two preaching places on this Pastoral Charge. They are located in Westmorland County, New Brunswick. Tidnish was a third preaching place associated with this Pastoral Charge. It is located in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. The church at Tidnish Bridge was closed in 2003.

The church at Port Elgin burned on November 20, 1955 and a new building was constructed 1956-1957.

Résultats 71 à 80 sur 1564