Showing 1871 results

Authority record

Arnold, Nelson

  • Person
  • 1816-1900

Nelson Arnold (1816-1900) married Anna Maria Smith on 16 May 1854 in Saint John, New Brunswick. The Arnolds had six children. They lived in the area of Sussex, New Brunswick. Nelson Arnold was the Sussex crown land surveyor from 1860-1887.

Source: 1861 Census, Schedule A-F

Arsenault, Joseph Stanislaus

  • Person
  • b. 1901

Joseph Stanislaus Arsenault was born Oct. 11, 1901, the son of Pierre Arsenault and Héléne Bertin. of Bathurst, Gloucester County, New Brunswick. At the age of 23 months, he was kidnapped by gypsies and disappeared. In 1907, a young English-speaking boy, named Willie Hatkins, was found aboard a coastal lumber ship in Rivière Caplan, Gaspé. He had been adopted by Elie Joncas, a lumber inspector with the McLean Company. Willie Hatkins stayed with the Joncas family for 12 years before travelling to Nova Scotia, and later on, to Western Canada and the United States. In 1925, Willie Hatkins was hired by the Bonaventure and Gaspé Telephone Company, where he stayed until 1929.

After the death of his adoptive father, Willie Hatkins, now 30 years old, took up homesteading at St. Elzéar, some 20 miles distant. In 1933, several of Willie Hatkins' friends crossed the Baie de Chaleurs to play ball in Petit Rocher. There, a chance encounter with Pierre Arsenault, a man who strongly resembled Willie Hatkins, led to a series of events resulting in Willie Hatkins (a.k.a. Joseph Stan Arsenault) being reunited with his father, Pierre Arsenault.

Ashburnham family (Fredericton)

  • MS75
  • Family
  • 1855-1938

Thomas Ashburnham, born 8 Apr 1855, was the youngest son of Lord Ashburnham who was head of one of England’s oldest families. Ashburnham served in the 7th (Queen’s Own) Hussars, a cavalry regiment, earning a lieutenant’s commission at age 26 while serving with the 7th Hussars in South Africa. Upon returning to England he was made a captain in the Expeditionary Force which was sent to suppress the Egyptian Rebellion in 1882. In 1885-86, Ashburnham was in Ireland serving as an aide de camp, then on to India from 1886 – 90 where much of his time was spent as member of big game expeditions. After his army career he came to Fredericton where he met Maria “Rye” Anderson and they married in 1903. Rye was born 25 Nov 1858 in Fredericton and was the d/o William and Lucy Ann Anderson.They purchased two buildings on Brunswick St., #’s 163 & 165, which they had joined by a glassed-in conservatory forming a ‘porte cortiere’ and providing access to lawns and gardens in the rear of the property. Unexpectedly in 1913 he became the 6th Earl of Ashburnham with the death of his last surviving brother, who was childless. They took up residency in England but in 1914 returned to Fredericton as Lady Ashburnham was unhappy, not being accepted by the family, and with the impending World War. Once again here they became the centre of the ‘elite social life’. Lord Ashburnham divided his time between Fredericton and England until his death in 1924 and Lady Ashburnham lived in Fredericton until her death in 1938.

Ashfield, Elizabeth Ann (Woodburn)

  • Person
  • b. 1886

Elizabeth Ann Ashfield Woodburn was born in 1866, daughter of James Ramsay Woodburn and Catherine Jane Reid. James Woodburn emigrated from Scotland to New Brunswick where he formed a photographic partnership with Carson Flood in 1862. In 1873, he began the Victoria Steam Confectionery Works and in 1880 invented and patented Woodburn's Pulverizer for use in the confectionery business. In the 1890s, he was president of the F.C. Colwell Confectionery.

Elizabeth Woodburn studied art at the Owens Art Institute in Saint John under the tutelage of John Hammond. In the 1900s, Miss Woodburn gave private lessons from her home on Orange Street. She belonged to the Saint John Art Club and the Women's Art Association of Canada, Saint John Division. Elizabeth died in 1945 in Saint John.

Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The Association was formed by a Letters Patent on February 16th, 1973. Prior to that date there were 3 distinct groups: the regular Regiment, the militia Regiment and the Old Comrades from WWII. The aim was to take the three groups and incorporate them under one Association; the Association then is responsible for the activities of the Regimental family so that they would speak with a common voice on all matters of Regimental interest. The following shall be eligible for membership: all serving members of the Regiment; all former serving members of the Regiment or members of Regiments having an alliance with 8th Canadian Hussars; all serving or former serving members of the Forces, who at any time are or were attached to the 8th Canadian Hussars; all former serving members of the Regiment, or former serving members of the Forces, who at any time served with or were attached to the 8th Princess Louise

Association of New Brunswick Land Surveyors

  • Corporate body
  • Formed in 1954

The Association of New Brunswick Land Surveyors was formed in 1954, under the laws of New Brunswick, for the primary purposes of regulating the practice of professional land surveying in New Brunswick and governing its members in order to serve and protect the public interest. The association also works to promote public awareness of its role and to establish, maintain, and develop standards of knowledge, skill, and efficiency; of qualifications; and of professional ethics. To this end, the ANBLS is responsible for setting qualifications of membership, for developing policies regarding education, and for providing committee structures and terms of references. In September 2001 the association's head office is located on King Street in Fredericton, New Brunswick.

Association of Professional Engineers of the Province of New Brunswick

  • Corporate body
  • Incorporated in 1920

The Association of Professional Engineers of the Province of New Brunswick was incorporated in 1920 by an act of the provincial legislature. The association's primary purposes are to regulate and govern the practice of engineering in New Brunswick and to establish and maintain standards of professional knowledge, skill, and ethics among its members. Amendments to the act of incorporation were made in 1960, 1970, 1974, and 1999.

The association changed its name in December 1999 to the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of New Brunswick, reflecting new fields of research and professional practice. The APEGNB maintains a close relationship with the University of New Brunswick and other institutions of higher learning. In 2001 the association has a membership of approximately 4,000 which includes all categories (full, life, honourary, university students etc.) and reflects various levels of education and experience. Its main offices are located at 535 Beaverbrook Court in Fredericton, N.B.

Atherton, Benjamin

  • MS12
  • Person
  • 1736-1816

Benjamin Atherton was born December 9, 1736, at Lancaster, Massachusetts. As a young man, he enlisted in the British Army, sailed from Boston in 1755 on the sloop "Victoria", and served for a year in Nova Scotia under Colonel Winslow. According to Lilian Maxwell's History of Central New Brunswick, Lieutenant Benjamin Atherton took part in the expulsion of the Acadians.
In 1769, Atherton arrived in Saint John and became a fur trader with the firm of Simonds, Hazen, and White of Portland Point. Atherton was placed as manager of a truck-house at St. Anne's Point, in competition with John Anderson, who was established at the mouth of the Nashwaak River. He refused to join the rebel movement in Maugerville during the American Revolution. After the War, he served as Clerk of the Peace, Registrar, and later coroner for Sunbury County. In 1788, Governor Carleton purchased land from Atherton as part of the property for Government House--land that Atherton had owned for almost twenty years. Atherton died July 17, 1816, at Prince William, York County.

Atlantic Classical Association

  • Corporate body
  • Formed in 1930

The Classical Association of the Maritime Provinces was formed in August 1930. Its constitution appeared in Proceedings of the Classical Association of the Maritime Provinces, first annual meeting, 7-8 August 1931 (copy located in file 1). The first president was James W. Cohoon, Wood Professor of Classics at Mount Allison University, where the first annual meeting was held 7-8 August, 1931.

By 1933, the association included members from Newfoundland. The Classical Association was “reborn” in 1986 when an annual meeting was held at Mount Allison in conjunction with the ninth annual Crake Lectures, 30 September-1 October, 1986. It was named the Atlantic Classical Association at that time. Professor Hans Vanderleest (Mount Allison) was appointed treasurer, and has held the position since.

It is a fairly informal group, meeting annually. The executive membership usually reflects the location of the annual meeting (i.e., for a meeting held at Mount Allison, Mount Allison faculty members are the executive).

Atlantic Provinces Transportation Commission

  • Corporate body
  • Established in 1927

Maritime Freight Rates Commission was established at Moncton, New Brunswick, after passage of the Maritimes Freight Rates Act in 1927 as a permanent watchdog for regional interests in transportation policy. The Atlantic Provinces Transportation Commission is its successor, supported by the four Atlantic provinces: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador, and it is affiliated with the Atlantic Provinces Chamber of Commerce.

Results 61 to 70 of 1871